A better, full-sized Sennheiser HD238?
Mar 23, 2011 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

RallyMaster

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys and gals. Alright, this might sound weird but I like the Sennheiser HD238 (general sound signature and comfort). Mine is modded with aluminum instead of the foam in the cup, so that might be why. I know a lot of people have issues with this headphone sounding muddy but it's really a lot easier to listen to coming from my treble monster, the JVC HA-DX3. For some reason, it has the bass that I want, the treble amount that doesn't fatigue like my DX3 and still manages to do vocals and mids to my satisfaction. I've owned the JVC HA-RX700 and RX900, the Sennheiser HD595 and the HA-DX3. Almost all of those are now sold but kept the DX3 because it's the most detailed out of all of them, HD595 included. I've used all of them for almost two years.

If I could find this headphone in a full-sized form factor, with maybe a tad less bass and some more clarity all around, I'd really go for it. Unfortunately, I don't know of any open-back full-sized headphones that are considered "bass-oriented" so I will settle for a closed-back solution. I'm not entirely closed to amplifying (I have a Little Dot MKII that's been collecting dust) but I tend to avoid it simply because it's not convenient to wait for tubes to warm up (I'm lazy and it doesn't seem to do all that much for the headphones I've owned so far).

Short version:
Something that sounds like a Sennheiser HD238 with aluminum foil in the earcups
Budget is $300 maximum but I'll shoot for $200 if I can get away with it.
Sources will be either the Creative X-Fi Titanium HD or Asus Xonar D1 (may get a Xonar Essence ST if it warrants the cost).
Music is really everything except things like bluegrass and folk. Classic rock, modern pop, electronica, country, rap, jazz, classical so that is pretty much everything.
Gaming with these headphones is a definite yes(mainly Battlefield Bad Company 2).

Thank you for bearing with me and thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back