$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Feb 6, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #6,451 of 6,549
I need to try again a bigger card

Feb 6, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #6,453 of 6,549
I too soon rejoiced at the success of 512 GB and 1 TB. The first time it started, and then there is no stable work.
Even i drop 1TB SD, now library scan on 512GB does not end.
And next message.

"ERROR
Unfortunately, Calyx M has stopped"

and

"Calyx M isn`t responding
Do you want to close close it?"

Any idea?
You have to wait for it to load before touching it. Just sit it on the charger, start it and forget it until it's done loading.

Feb 6, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #6,455 of 6,549
In general, I read the instructions, and made a soft reset, only the settings to the factory settings, and followed the advice about 75% volume inner memory on android, deleted some of the files from the internal memory. Without a reset, I couldn't even delete them. I made copies for everyone.
Now I put both cards in, put them on the library scan, we'll see.

Feb 6, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #6,456 of 6,549
Scan library is over. 2 hours. I think 4 TB from both cards in future maybe be long as ... day ? Even 1TB + 1TB seems like a bad idea to me now.

Feb 10, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #6,457 of 6,549
Also posted on the AR-M2 thread, but the ying/yang in the DAP world is worth some spamming 😉

31756C02-54FF-4079-B9A1-1A7684456FC8.jpeg

Feb 10, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #6,459 of 6,549
So how they sonically compare, my dear audiophile friend?
Dear N., it’s been a while. Good to read from you 😃.

Well, I spent approximately 20 hours with the AR-M2, that’s not very much, but it’s enough to draw some « early » conclusions. I skip the streaming, Wifi and Android blablabla that aren’t of any interest for you and me. Let’s keep it to the sound and some others important details.

The AR-M2 has a longer battery life and even if the one from the Calyx M never bothered me (especially with the X-Batt module), it’s nice to have 8-9 hours instead of 4-5. I actually bought a replacement battery for the M, just in case.

The AR-M2’s 3.5mm HO delivers a powerful and highly enjoyable honey into your precious ear-canals and hit your eardrums with full force and this analog touch that make your hairs raise all along your body. Goosebumps factor? Check!

Having said that, the experience is not exactly the same as the AR-M2 is less forgiving in it’s approach. The Calyx M likes almost every IEM. It’s the good soul, the inviting guy, who always a sit reserved for you near the fireplace. The AR-M2 is looking at you from head to toes and won’t make the thing that cosy. Go cut some wood and come later. If you do it good, you will sit in front of the fire.

Enough of cheap analogies, the AR-M2 delivers a more powerful sound, with better clarity and is absolute veiled-free while sounding analog. A paradox? Not quite, because it remains musical and effortless in its presentation.

Detail retrieval is a bit better out the AR-M2, but the Calyx M delivers this unique warmth that envelopes you and doesn’t let you go, like a snake charmer. The soundstage is insane on the AR-M2, it is so wide yet realistic and yes, I can say it, controlled. Nothing bleeds. You are punched in the face and in the guts at the same time. And guess what? You want more, yep buddy, this is addictive! It’s as good and greatly enjoyable as the Calyx M’ powerful sweetness.

Imagine: Playing back some well-known tunes out of the AR-M2 is a physical experience at times. I know when the chorus, the kick, the electric guitar solo, the monster beat or the emotional part are coming and I « fear » the moment, almost. It’s a wave of perfect sound coming to you.

The Calyx M is the DAP that definitely sold me on portable audio. I still use it a lot nowadays and the AR-M2 is not better than the M, but not worse either. On a separate note, the LPGT could be the loved child of both aforementioned DAPs.

Bottom line: I think you would like the AR-M2, N.

Both of these DAPs are essential. Period.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #6,460 of 6,549
Man, nice words about the M2. You should post this on the M2 thread, maybe
more people will read it. We need to get in touch with these companies and let them know they have two wonderful products, maybe that way they will take the plunge and come with other great products

Feb 11, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #6,461 of 6,549
Try ak120ii its my best dap

Mar 20, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #6,462 of 6,549
After several years of fantastic service and musical bliss, it’s time to send my beloved Calyx M for a full service and upgrade program to Steve in the UK aka N**p***.

Mar 21, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #6,465 of 6,549
After several years of fantastic service and musical bliss, it’s time to send my beloved Calyx M for a full service and upgrade program to Steve in the UK aka N**p***.
I always had a modded one and a „original“ one. Well, in the end the original always won (after a few months of being in love with the modded ones). BUT i don’t know your UK guy, so good luck 👍🤜

Users who are viewing this thread

Back