$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
May 2, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #5,626 of 6,549
I don´t know if this great and honest review of @Barra was posted here yet:
https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/calyx-audio-m.20148/reviews#review-17636

Folder browsing was never important for me, so I can´t comment on that. Also I never listen in shuffle mode, so this wasn´t a dealbreaker for me. Yeah, battery life sucks, but it lasts for 3-4 hours, so for my normal daily use from A to B it´s no problem for me either.

So for me it´s all about the awesome SQ :)

Jul 24, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #5,628 of 6,549
Any more news on the M being discontinued? Great looking dap, but for my needs the battery life could be too short. What is everybody getting playing mp3 files? i don't really want to pack around an external battery pack, but does it sound that amazing that it would be worth it? How long is does the battery last in terms of how many charges it can hold or whatever? I would like to see the price come down a little given how long this has been on the market.

Thank you

Riley

Aug 10, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #5,629 of 6,549
Any more news on the M being discontinued? Great looking dap, but for my needs the battery life could be too short. What is everybody getting playing mp3 files? i don't really want to pack around an external battery pack, but does it sound that amazing that it would be worth it? How long is does the battery last in terms of how many charges it can hold or whatever? I would like to see the price come down a little given how long this has been on the market.

Thank you

Riley
I don't know if you can still buy a Calyx M new, and is rare to find an used one. The battery is good for 5 to 6 hours. The sound is great, very musical. The best sounding player I tried sound wise. I am very happy with it.

Jan 2, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #5,630 of 6,549
I don't know if you can still buy a Calyx M new, and is rare to find an used one. The battery is good for 5 to 6 hours. The sound is great, very musical. The best sounding player I tried sound wise. I am very happy with it.

Have been missing this DAP since I sold mine 2 years ago to try out other TOTL DAPs but still can't find one close to the unique SQ of this DAP.

Just bought a brand new set of the Calyx M end of last week from my favourite audio store as could not resist the current low price for this best sounding DAP!

Firmware is still 1.01, same as my old set. Battery life per use is not as good as my other DAPs and far from my wife's Sony ZX2, but it has been with me for the past few days as main DAP and happy to be back with the seductive sound that I missed!

A simple, single ended (SE) connection, but sounds better than my other DAPs with balanced connection. Loaded all my favourite DSD files and it plays them smoothly and natively without issues. Simple UI focusing on playing the music album, no junks and no streaming/wifi/bluetooth. A real DAP just focused on delivering the best sound quality!

Now got to look for some form of protection (more for the back and edges since it comes with a gorgeous scratch resistant gorilla glass).

Could not find any leather case anymore though (Dignis, Gariz?).

Using a smartphone pouch fitting nicely (Calyx M is similar in dimension to iPhone6, just thicker), but could not plug in earphone without opening the pouch:
50f45504670febeeed543a556e6951e7.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #5,635 of 6,549
Hello, guys!

I'm interested in this DAP, but have some questions about it.

Is there a WindowsX firmware available to download (for free or for money)? Can user return to original firmware from it (1.01)?

Does the player work at least 4 hours (without x-batt, of course)? There is different information about it - someone tells that it works 4-5 hours (that is acceptable) , and someone - only 2-3 hours (that is awful).

Mar 10, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #5,636 of 6,549
Hello, guys!

Is there a WindowsX firmware available to download (for free or for money)? Can user return to original firmware from it (1.01)?

Does the player work at least 4 hours (without x-batt, of course)? There is different information about it - someone tells that it works 4-5 hours (that is acceptable) , and someone - only 2-3 hours (that is awful).

The player's battery life, between charges is, totally dependent on the file types you're trying to play. Playing all MP3 files, the longest play time. Playing all DSD files, the shortest. A mix of various file types, will vary between the two extremes. My experience is, you can achieve 5 hours of playtime but again, it depends.

Mar 10, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #5,638 of 6,549
Hello, guys!

I think there was a free Version of WindowsX FW Update but I would strongly recommend the better Version which is for 100$ I guess, but maybe now it’s less. It would be best to ask hin yourself. You can always go back to the former Version (stock), but I guarantee you, that you won’t go back :wink:

Calyx M lasts for me about 4 hour. I‘m playing Flac and High res only.

Mar 10, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #5,639 of 6,549
I think there was a free Version of WindowsX FW Update but I would strongly recommend the better Version which is for 100$ I guess, but maybe now it’s less. It would be best to ask hin yourself. You can always go back to the former Version (stock), but I guarantee you, that you won’t go back :wink:

Calyx M lasts for me about 4 hour. I‘m playing Flac and High res only.

I would second the $100 upgrade. Google search Fidelizer as he has turned this into a formal business. He is on the Web and Facebook as I also use his software on my Windows server PC.

Mar 10, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #5,640 of 6,549
Unfortunately, there is no firmware for Calyx M on Fidelizer site.

I would be very appreciative if anyone could upload the archive with FW and share the link.

Free version, I mean.

I would second the $100 upgrade. Google search Fidelizer as he has turned this into a formal business. He is on the Web and Facebook as I also use his software on my Windows server PC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back