$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Mar 17, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #5,657 of 6,549
Just saw your inventory. Wow, that looks like a life work!
I just have my Calyx M and Oppo PM3s. No money for more equipment, but in ten years I want to have a long inventory list like you :wink:

He's "Headphoneus Supremus" for a good reason. :)

Mar 17, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #5,658 of 6,549
Just updated to advanced purist rom and compared side by side to another m with stock firmware- was sceptical if it would make any difference as I found stock player so good - main observation is that it is quicker to start ready to play, album art loading not as laggy
Most important there has been a definite change in sound - I loaded same set of albums to a play list and played both through a source selector at same volume so I could switch back and forth on different earphones and headphones - there is to my ears an increased refinement in detail - I had my son plug them in so I did not know what source I was listening to and on every song I preferred the same source which turned out to be the purist rom advanced.
So I am now not a sceptic - I heard a small change for the better with the new Rom.
For some is $100US worth it for such an old model ?! Not sure - for me I love this player and now it's even better
I have brought and sold multiple high end players over last few years with better functionality and ergonomics and battery life and this has still not been beaten for my sound preference - I do appreciate the cowon plenue m and aune m2 pro and along with calyx m have stayed in collection while many higher priced daps have come and gone.
Great product - however there was no change in battery life. I think the free version of the purist rom was giving me an extra 30 mins but advanced was definitely no change

Mar 18, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #5,659 of 6,549
Thank you for sharing your feedback. Calyx M is one classical good DAP that some people are using it and prefer over modern DAPs in market now.

There was times when I quit portable audio due to no satisfying DAP in market I can enjoy anymore and now I'm back modifying over 200 DAPs. Calyx M and Plenue are good old devices I modded with unique charm too. :)

Regards,
Keetakawee

Mar 22, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #5,660 of 6,549
Saw your work on DX200 as well. How do you rate the sound quality between the 2 DAPs (before and after modding)?

Thanks.

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Calyx M is one classical good DAP that some people are using it and prefer over modern DAPs in market now.

There was times when I quit portable audio due to no satisfying DAP in market I can enjoy anymore and now I'm back modifying over 200 DAPs. Calyx M and Plenue are good old devices I modded with unique charm too. :)

Regards,
Keetakawee

Mar 26, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #5,661 of 6,549
Hi. Only notice this post while back. I have both Calyx M and DX200 modded with me right now. I'd prefer DX200 with Fidelizer Ultimate Mod over Calyx M myself. I've replaced all the caps inside DX200 for over 30 caps and all opamps along with other tweaks so it's like a new DAP rather than tweaked DX200. :D

For no hardware mod comparison, I find Calyx M performing cleaner than DX200 as stock parts are inferior to Calyx M. Calyx M uses better grade parts than DX200 with low noise design so it's really cleaner through measurements in real oscilloscope.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #5,662 of 6,549
Consistent observation when I tried the DX200. Liked the android system of DX200 but for sound quality, I still prefer the Calyx M. There is some unique magic in the sound produced by Calyx M that is just different from other DAP.

Went to my favourite shop to audition and to buy the DX200, but ended up buying a Calyx M instead - my second purchase after selling my first set 2-3 year ago. This will be my keeper and it comes with a nice serial number!

Besides modding DAPs, do you make leather cases for Calyx M? :ksc75smile:

For no hardware mod comparison, I find Calyx M performing cleaner than DX200 as stock parts are inferior to Calyx M. Calyx M uses better grade parts than DX200 with low noise design so it's really cleaner through measurements in real oscilloscope.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Apr 13, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #5,663 of 6,549
Consistent observation when I tried the DX200. Liked the android system of DX200 but for sound quality, I still prefer the Calyx M. There is some unique magic in the sound produced by Calyx M that is just different from other DAP.

Went to my favourite shop to audition and to buy the DX200, but ended up buying a Calyx M instead - my second purchase after selling my first set 2-3 year ago. This will be my keeper and it comes with a nice serial number!

Besides modding DAPs, do you make leather cases for Calyx M? :ksc75smile:

You'll be even more surprised with Fidelizer Mod and Advanced ROM. Some said they prefer modded Calyx M over some highend DAP.

As for leather case, it's possible to make a one in Thailand. Is this for standard Calyx X or with X-Batt too?

Regards,
Keetakawee

Apr 13, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #5,664 of 6,549
The current official firmware (though last update is quite some times back) is very stable and delivers superb SQ, thus very little incentives to mod the firmware (don't really like any additional logo in the startup as well - no offence on your logo, but just like the original look and feel). After trying out almost all the latest high end DAP (FiiO, iBasso, Cowon, AK, Sony, etc) and DAC for the past 2-3 years, I can say I still prefer the magical sound quality from Calyx M. This is probably subjective but without any mod to the rom or changes to hardware, and it is SINGLE ended output vs many TOTL with balanced output, it still delivers better SQ than any other DAP out there. Only issue is the rather short battery life vs most totl DAP standards, which is an irony - this is the only DAP that I can listen the whole day without fatigue, but it runs out of juice in 5-6hrs playing DSD. But the 5-6hrs playtime is just a pure enjoyment.

Not using the X-Batt as it really increases the thickness. Can always add an external portable battery to charge if needed.

I will be keen to grab a black leather case for the standard Calyx M, if you have one to sell.

Won't sell my Calyx M off again this time, and when battery dies one day and no more replacement available, will just use it with power plugged in.

BTW, if you have an advanced ROM which could be customised to remove the "Fidelizer" logo at the start and make it look exactly like the original rom but adding the "extra source" that you recommended which improves sound quality and prolong the battery life, I will consider buying. Thanks!

You'll be even more surprised with Fidelizer Mod and Advanced ROM. Some said they prefer modded Calyx M over some highend DAP.

As for leather case, it's possible to make a one in Thailand. Is this for standard Calyx X or with X-Batt too?

Regards,
Keetakawee

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #5,666 of 6,549
I don't have Calyx M with me right now so I'll need to have one for making a leather case for it.

Apr 16, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #5,668 of 6,549
If I stumble upon anyone using Calyx M, I'll ask him if he can lend me his device for leather case project. You may also consider sending Calyx M to me for leather case research and apply Fidelizer Mod too. :)

Regards,
Keetakawee

Apr 16, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #5,669 of 6,549
Sorry but my Calyx M will not leave my sight and it will not go through any mod.

I like my DAP being original. No extra logo, no 3rd party parts. It is already built with top quality parts, and the current firmware is stable and smooth.

Anyway, thanks for your offer for the leather case. Please drop my interest as probably no need for it.

If I stumble upon anyone using Calyx M, I'll ask him if he can lend me his device for leather case project. You may also consider sending Calyx M to me for leather case research and apply Fidelizer Mod too. :)

Regards,
Keetakawee

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #5,670 of 6,549
No problem. Just trying my luck here too. I recommend you to try free Purist ROM as it also improve device performance and increase battery life according to people's report. You can flash stock back at any time so no harm no foul. :)

Regards,
Keetakawee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back