$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Nov 16, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #4,502 of 6,549
  Any more thoughts on the Aclear Porta that you could share yet? Have you tried your Lab 1's with the ak240? if so does the NXT-2AK add the same level of clarity, separation and soundstage? if it does then I would be keen to get one - but have no idea how I could?? thanks.

I have been busy - birthday weekend - but still have gotten in some good listening. I am really happy with my purchase. I spent an hour today listening to the DC1601SC lying in bed - a luxury that I could not enjoy before because the M did not drive them properly. Fantastic. I still give the edge to Modi > USB Monica > GS-X MK2 driving the 1601SC but they don't transport and the edge is not huge. M with the Aclear Porta ("AP") does justice to those great dynamic IEMs, as it does with the KAEDE and 1601SS / Piano Forte IX. (I need more time still with the latter regarding SQ but I have confirmed that the AP completely solves the impedance distortion issues. And when I did listen a few days back, I thought that the PF IX sounded great from the M with the AP.)

I cannot compare with the AK240. Based on what I hear with the Lab 1, it seems that the AP is bringing some of what Currawong described as the advantage of that player. But that kind of comparison based on description is completely unreliable - as much to me as to you.

As for the Lab 1, that is where I have been making most of my comparisons. There is nothing wrong with the M driving the Lab 1 directly. It is dreamy in its ambience and really a 'dream combination'. Yet I keep reinstalling the AP into the chain. It may be a little less dreamy and 'out there' but I like the definition. The 3D quality of the Lab 1 is retained but everything is clearer and the result sounds a bit more dynamic (whether or not it would measure so). We are talking a fairly subtle difference but it is there and I think that it is meaningful. Which you prefer will be a matter of taste.

I haven't gotten back to trying the AP with the Heaven VI. That is the combo where I do not plan to use it for practical reasons (M + heaven VI being my uber portable travel system). I also felt on my initial short listen that I quite liked the M alone's extra thickness with the Heaven VI (as I perceived it then) compared with the AP in the chain. However I travel up north tomorrow by plane and I will take the Aclear Porta with me on the trip. I will get a chance to compare some more. 

I am still not ready to provide final conclusions but I will say this. I am basically completely satisfied with my portable and transportable rigs now. The Aclear Porta feels like the finishing touch for me.

Nov 17, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #4,505 of 6,549

Your M has most probably been used already. Mine came with no files on its internal memory. The demo files were on a DVD that contains an album named Audiophile Jazz Prologue III. The hi-res AIFF files on this disc were not on the unit.

Well, I live in Brazil, and the Calyx M was delivered to a hotel in Florida where a friend of mine was staying. He later brought it to me when he returned to Brazil, but without the original packaging. From the photos he took of the packaging, there was no way for a regular-sized DVD to fit inside. See:

Also, please note that a leather case was also included.

That's pretty bad when you pay top dollar and instead get something used. Is your player at least performing well?

Yes, it is. There's also no visual signs that the Calyx M was used before. It even came with a plastic film protecting the screen, although that's something that one can take off and later put back on.

They'll probably tell you it's 'tested', LOL. To be fair, it was likely a return with full backing as opposed to used but they should at least offer 10% off for a clean return. Hopefully they fess up and offer you a break or exchange. There's no excuse for not being straightforward with what they sold you but this is what happens with too many internet Headfiers trying everything under the sun and returning before 30 days to try the next thing. It's no reason for you to have to deal with it because Acoustic Sounds made a choice to dwell in this domain but it is abusing a consumer protection.

Acoustic sounds answered me:

"The item you received should be new.  If it has items already on it, they may have been pre-loaded by the manufacturer. We do not sell used equipment."

I couldn't get any information from Digital & Analog, because the only resource I got was their Facebook page. Does anyone have a direct email address to get in touch with them? I just want to clear things out, because I don't intend to return the Calyx M to Acoustic Sounds, it'st too much trouble and the player is working perfectly.

Edit: this is what came preloaded in my Calyx M:

Nov 17, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #4,506 of 6,549

Well, I live in Brazil, and the Calyx M was delivered to a hotel in Florida where a friend of mine was staying. He later brought it to me when he returned to Brazil, but without the original packaging. From the photos he took of the packaging, there was no way for a regular-sized DVD to fit inside. See:

[...]

Also, please note that a leather case was also included.

According to the CalyxMmanual_098.pdf, p. 6:
Inside the Package. 
(*This depends on each country. For example the leather case is included in Japan and Korea but is optional in other countries)

As for the disc:

Edit: There is a CalyxM Unboxing Video on YouTube.

Nov 17, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #4,510 of 6,549
  I will post a picture of the included 2.5mm TRRRS to 3.5mm TRRRS cable later. It's for AK balanced users - no use to me. But it is nicely constructed.

Hi Cooperpwc, where and how can you get the Calyx M Plug?

Sorry my post was rushed and lacking key details. The cable that I was referring to is included with Aclear Porta NXT-2AK.

I still do not have the fabled Calyx adapter. I hoped to visit Square Wave in Hong Kong last weekend but their showroom in Tsim Sah Tsui was closed for "engineering". My retailer did not sound optimistic about anything showing up from them anytime soon. (I am a bit concerned about what is going on with Square Wave actually.) I am not sure when we will see the adapter in China.

Nov 17, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #4,511 of 6,549

Sorry my post was rushed and lacking key details. The cable that I was referring to is included with Aclear Porta NXT-2AK.

I still do not have the fabled Calyx adapter. I hoped to visit Square Wave in Hong Kong last weekend but their showroom in Tsim Sah Tsui was closed for "engineering". My retailer did not sound optimistic about anything showing up from them anytime soon. (I am a bit concerned about what is going on with Square Wave actually.) I am not sure when we will see the adapter in China.

Ah ok.

I went to check out the NXT-2AK. Seems like that model is specifically for balanced input and output (i.e. HM901 balanced output --> NXT-2AK --> balanced 2.5mm or 3.55 mini jack output)

Whereas, the NIP-05TH is for single ended use which is what the Calyx M output mode?

Nov 17, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #4,512 of 6,549
No doubt the NXT-2AK is overkill for the M but it does support and work great in SE mode, and it's a lovely piece of kit. Anyway it had just arrived at Jaben in HK and the only model they had at this point.

Nov 18, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #4,514 of 6,549
I've go
  Hello,

short question: Has anybody got the M-Jack lately. Should have been shipped on 11/04. No sign of it here in europe.

I've got mine, it was distributed to domestic users directly from the manufacturer. I think international distribution will depend on each country's distributor. Sorry, I can't say much about it cause my iem does not require it. Anyway it looks like this. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back