$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Nov 18, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #4,517 of 6,549
cooperpwc, I really don't know. I believe it has nothing to do with balanced transmission. I found they said the jack used gives proper pressure without causing accidental damages. Maybe it was cheaper for them to make? :)

Nov 18, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #4,519 of 6,549
      As a Calyx M user, I for one much prefer the sound signature on v0.95 yet unfortunately stuck at v1.0 for the moment. First tried to flash back to 0.95 with no luck but an error msg saying 'less_then_int (1404110422.getprop("ro.build.date.utc"))' during package verification. So I figured that I could  just mod the v0.95 build.prop to fool the device into believing this is something new since the M is Android based after all.

So I went in and change the build.prop values to a larger version number than indicated in the actual v1.0 and repacked the zip with a common AutoSign treatment as finishing touch. Again no luck getting through the package verification stage with SD card flashing, it simply aborts from failing verification.
Direct substitution of build.prop within original zip w/o sign re-gen wasn't any good as well.

At this point  I give up trying knowing that the amateur I am in XDA stuff  probably only scratched the surface. Just want to call out to fellow users to see if anyone has travelled this path before and hopefully shed some light on this topic. At the end of day  I'm quite upset about D&A not letting customer choose whatever firmware version he/she might see fit.

Nov 18, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #4,520 of 6,549
Calyx M was reviewed in Stereoplay magazine from Germany in December 2014 issue. Won the Reference award along with Audeze LCD-XC closed headphones. Together they have excellent synergy.

Measurements: SNR 116dB, output voltage 1,25V, output impedance 1,8 ohm.

Nov 19, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #4,521 of 6,549
        As a Calyx M user, I for one much prefer the sound signature on v0.95 yet unfortunately stuck at v1.0 for the moment. First tried to flash back to 0.95 with no luck but an error msg saying 'less_then_int (1404110422.getprop("ro.build.date.utc"))' during package verification. So I figured that I could  just mod the v0.95 build.prop to fool the device into believing this is something new since the M is Android based after all.

So I went in and change the build.prop values to a larger version number than indicated in the actual v1.0 and repacked the zip with a common AutoSign treatment as finishing touch. Again no luck getting through the package verification stage with SD card flashing, it simply aborts from failing verification.
Direct substitution of build.prop within original zip w/o sign re-gen wasn't any good as well.

At this point  I give up trying knowing that the amateur I am in XDA stuff  probably only scratched the surface. Just want to call out to fellow users to see if anyone has travelled this path before and hopefully shed some light on this topic. At the end of day  I'm quite upset about D&A not letting customer choose whatever firmware version he/she might see fit.

I do not agree that the sound is worse in 1.0. However I did go backwards once and had no problem doing so. Do not use the built in update system. Rather follow these instructions:

Instruction of how to install Calyx M Firmware:

1.Preparation
  1. Calyx M, charged enough
  2. Calyx M firmware downloaded
  3. A SD-Card, formatted in FAT32
  4. Copy Calyx M firmware into the root directory of the above SD-Card.
2. Update
  1. Turn off your Calyx M
  2. Remove MicroSD card if any, and insult the SD card in 1
  3. Boot M by pressing the power button while holding REW (<<) key
  4. The display will be still after the logos of Calyx M and f-clef showing up.
  5. Press and release REW(<<) key while pressing power button
  6. Now you are in the update mode and you see blue small prints. (in this mode the display is upside down.)
3. Installing the update file.
  1. Connect USB-power
  2. Move the blue bar by using REW(<<) key and FF(>>) key then press PLAY( >) key they the selected menu (by the blue bar) is being done.
  3. Select “ apply update from SD card”  and press the play(>) key
  4. Select Calyx M firmware then press the play(>) key then the update is being progressed.
  5. You see yellow prints while the update being progressed.
  6. When the update is normally done, you see blue prints at the update mode.
  7. Disconnect USB-power cable when blue prints appear
  8. Select “reboot system now” and press PLAY(>) key and reboot goes on

Nov 19, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #4,522 of 6,549
Do you remember from which to which version did you reverse the firmware?

That's exactly the way I did most my experimenting (and essentially a clockwork recovery for Calyx-M through the SD card ). But I'm always seeing the following error message:
                             less_then_int (1404110422.getprop("ro.build.date.utc"))                      
while trying to 'upgrade' back to v0.95 from v1.0, the step when it happens is highlighted in blue below.

3. Installing the update file.
  1. Connect USB-power
  2. Move the blue bar by using REW(<<) key and FF(>>) key then press PLAY( >) key they the selected menu (by the blue bar) is being done.
  3. Select “ apply update from SD card”  and press the play(>) key
  4. Select Calyx M firmware then press the play(>) key then the update is being progressed.
  5. You see yellow prints while the update being progressed.
  6. When the update is normally done, you see blue prints at the update mode.
  7. Disconnect USB-power cable when blue prints appear
  8. Select “reboot system now” and press PLAY(>) key and reboot goes on

Nov 19, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #4,523 of 6,549
^ I believe that it it was 0.97 to 0.95. I was trying to solve a problem where my M was not recognized by my computer for transferring files. (I eventually solved that but it is a long Windows story; all in the past.)

Nov 19, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #4,524 of 6,549
^ I believe that it it was 0.97 to 0.95. I was trying to solve a problem where my M was not recognized by my computer for transferring files. (I eventually solved that but it is a long Windows story; all in the past.)

Thanks for sharing the experience. I'll try to flash 0.97 first then, if it works I may go one step further back to 0.95. The SQ difference is subtle between 0.95 and 1.0. But without the magic impedance adapter from Calyx I find the M sounding on the verge of overly aggressive on 0.95 and just a bit too much on 1.0. 

Nov 19, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #4,525 of 6,549
I didn't hear any difference between both FW.

Nov 19, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #4,526 of 6,549
One of the reasons I purchased the AK over the Calyx M was the balanced output... After being severely disappointed with the balanced out (my fault as I had very high expectations), I think the time has come to order the Calyx M. I've wanted one for a while now, but held out. I'm going to sleep on it, but I'm 99.9% I will pull the trigger finally.

On the newer devices, does it come with the impedance plug? Or will I not really need it for my tralucent Ref 1 or Shure Se846? Is there a possibility there might be a US dealer selling it for a black Friday or cyber Monday discount?

Nov 19, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #4,527 of 6,549
One of the reasons I purchased the AK over the Calyx M was the balanced output... After being severely disappointed with the balanced out (my fault as I had very high expectations), I think the time has come to order the Calyx M. I've wanted one for a while now, but held out. I'm going to sleep on it, but I'm 99.9% I will pull the trigger finally.

On the newer devices, does it come with the impedance plug? Or will I not really need it for my tralucent Ref 1 or Shure Se846? Is there a possibility there might be a US dealer selling it for a black Friday or cyber Monday discount?

I am considering the Calyx M myself...

Nov 19, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #4,528 of 6,549
I've wanted one for a while, was really waiting for it to become available in the US, but then I purchased an AK240. Will be interesting to see if there is a noticeable difference between them, but I have terrible ears...

Nov 19, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #4,529 of 6,549
I've wanted one for a while, was really waiting for it to become available in the US, but then I purchased an AK240. Will be interesting to see if there is a noticeable difference between them, but I have terrible ears...

I have had the AK100II and AK120II and have auditioned the AK240 for many times.

The difference between the AK players are not big but the difference between the Calyx and AK is huge because of the difference in their sound signature.

Nov 19, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #4,530 of 6,549
I totally agree with the first part. I've had all 3 AK players, no audible difference between them using my ears. I'm looking forward to the Calyx M since I love a warmer sound. Damn, talking to you is not helping me not buy the Calyx M!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back