$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Nov 20, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #4,546 of 6,549
Okay, I can make this fast... (plus I am rushing out for the evening...)

I just did another session with the M + Lab 1, with and without the AClear Porta NXT-2AK. Well... mostly with. To my ear, the M + Lab 1 sounds so much better when you add the AP to the chain. Whereas the AClear Porta cuts of the testes of the M + Heaven VI, it absolutely brings the Lab 1 to life. It is subtle in some ways yet really meaningful. Tonally there is no change - which is good. The bass is about as strong, just less bloom and better controlled. Everything from highs to lows is clearer, more defined and more lively. The wonderful layering of the Lab 1, already a fine match to the M, is simply enhanced.

Don't get me wrong, M + Lab 1 is a wonderful portable rig, almost an end-game portable rig. Until you add the AClear Porta into the chain. Now I cannot go back.

So for me it is:

M + Heaven VI FTW
M + AClear Porta NXT-2AK + Lab 1 FTW
M+ AClear Porta NXT-2AK + anything else that used to distort from the M FTW

All my tastes, of course.

My guess is the impedance matching.

Lab 1 is 8 ohms while VI is 16 ohms.

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #4,547 of 6,549

My guess is the impedance matching.

Lab 1 is 8 ohms while VI is 16 ohms.

That may be part of it. I am now listening to the ES5, also 16 ohms, with the M and AClear Porta. It sounds pretty good but I think that I prefer the ES5 without. (These days I only use the ES5 with the X5 for working out anyway. The AP has no place in that rig.)

Still the affect of the AClear Porta on the Heaven VI is greater. The Heaven VI is a bit of an unusual IEM, something that I noticed a long time ago.

Nov 21, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #4,549 of 6,549
New firmware 1.01 released.

M:USE has been updated today to V.1.01

Please download new firmware file at the following. (Do NOT unzip the file)

Please prepare your M with enough battery and please do not charge while you update.

http://121.78.145.103/download/CalyxM_fw_1.01_r13_20141121.zip

This update includes the following features;

1. Boot loader improvement: Turn-on while charging is improved.
2. Time-Domain, Minimum phase digital filter applied
3. Improvement sound at low volume level
4. Improvement of  gap-less function
5. Fade-in disabled when the very first music is replayed
6. Improvement of  response of volume level and control
7. More volume for DSD music
8. Lower  2nd and 3rd harmonic distortions.

Note:  a.  There is a bit pop when you repaly the very first music after booting/stand-by mode. This is normal but we are seeking for improving this.부
         b.  There would be a tiny pop in case you jump a file to another file( between. DSD files, or PCM and DSD files) using  forward/backward key.

This update is almost 1.9 though the number is 1.01..

Nov 21, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #4,550 of 6,549
  New firmware 1.01 released.

M:USE has been updated today to V.1.01

Please download new firmware file at the following. (Do NOT unzip the file)

Please prepare your M with enough battery and please do not charge while you update.

http://121.78.145.103/download/CalyxM_fw_1.01_r13_20141121.zip

This update includes the following features;

1. Boot loader improvement: Turn-on while charging is improved.
2. Time-Domain, Minimum phase digital filter applied
3. Improvement sound at low volume level
4. Improvement of  gap-less function
5. Fade-in disabled when the very first music is replayed
6. Improvement of  response of volume level and control
7. More volume for DSD music
8. Lower  2nd and 3rd harmonic distortions.

Note:  a.  There is a bit pop when you repaly the very first music after booting/stand-by mode. This is normal but we are seeking for improving this.부
         b.  There would be a tiny pop in case you jump a file to another file( between. DSD files, or PCM and DSD files) using  forward/backward key.

This update is almost 1.9 though the number is 1.01..

thank you very much! downloading now...

i think the problem from calyx is the battery life... :) i hope the update will helps

Nov 21, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #4,551 of 6,549
I have a very good feeling about this firmware. If M already is one of the best DAPs in sound quality, and they keep improving the sound quality.... 
o2smile.gif

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #4,552 of 6,549
tried this demo of M, i found that there has not volume limited setting.....feeling unsafe......

Nov 21, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #4,553 of 6,549
1.01 feels a little cleaner and more resolving, very interesting. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 22, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #4,555 of 6,549
  1.01 feels a little cleaner and more resolving, very interesting. 
smily_headphones1.gif

With my UM1 on hand, 1.01 SQ improvement is so apparent on the OST of 'Guardians of the Galaxy'. The change is eye opening. Primarily I think is the spatial coherence restored that's missing from 1.00. The sound is less congested, cleaner and a lot more 3D with an essential sense of moisture added into vocal that's overly dry and edgy before

This is a bliss!

Nov 22, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #4,556 of 6,549
So I am noticing a significant SQ difference with 1.01 also. More resolving, cleaner, better separation, better bass definition. It sounds like an awesome love child of the v1.0 M and the AK240. I very much like 1.01 so far. Sounds so clean. The detail of the treble is awesome.

Plus I have always disliked the volume slider as it felt like it lacked the detailed incremental control of the AK's, and I always felt I had to pump the volume a bit more than I liked to get the optimal sound with the Lab 1's. Both issues are fixed, slider has greater volume control and low volume sounds powerful and detailed.

I am listening to Zammuto as I write this and it sounds like quite different player to what I had yesterday. It's a detail monster.

So yeah, I'm happy with 1.01.

Nov 22, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #4,557 of 6,549
Yes it does sound different. The sound is more "organized" and mature. Now, waiting for the sub folder view update.

Nov 22, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #4,558 of 6,549
The only thing that I notice the most is that with DSD the sound is much more open and expansive, that is the most noticeable thing and the sad thing is that now with this new update the gap between my Lotoo PAW Gold and Calyx has narrowed a lot. 

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #4,560 of 6,549
The only thing that I notice the most is that with DSD the sound is much more open and expansive, that is the most noticeable thing and the sad thing is that now with this new update the gap between my Lotoo PAW Gold and Calyx has narrowed a lot. 

Can you do a brief comparison between the lotoo and the m?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back