$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Nov 19, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #4,531 of 6,549
I totally agree with the first part. I've had all 3 AK players, no audible difference between them using my ears. I'm looking forward to the Calyx M since I love a warmer sound. Damn, talking to you is not helping me not buy the Calyx M!!

Ok. I try to help you. Don't get the Calyx M if:

1. Size matters
  2. Battery life matters
  3. Responsive UI matters

Nov 19, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #4,532 of 6,549
One of the reasons I purchased the AK over the Calyx M was the balanced output... After being severely disappointed with the balanced out (my fault as I had very high expectations), I think the time has come to order the Calyx M. I've wanted one for a while now, but held out. I'm going to sleep on it, but I'm 99.9% I will pull the trigger finally.

On the newer devices, does it come with the impedance plug? Or will I not really need it for my tralucent Ref 1 or Shure Se846? Is there a possibility there might be a US dealer selling it for a black Friday or cyber Monday discount?

The SE846 and the Calyx M pair perfectly. My earlier setup driving the SE846 was an iPod Classic and a ALO Audio The National, but the bass is so more pleasant and controlled with the Calyx M as the source! It's not as overwhelming as before, and lets the rest of the spectrum breathe. Calyx M + SE846 = seriously addictive combination.

Nov 19, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #4,534 of 6,549
  They'll probably tell you it's 'tested', LOL. To be fair, it was likely a return with full backing as opposed to used but they should at least offer 10% off for a clean return. Hopefully they fess up and offer you a break or exchange. There's no excuse for not being straightforward with what they sold you but this is what happens with too many internet Headfiers trying everything under the sun and returning before 30 days to try the next thing. It's no reason for you to have to deal with it because Acoustic Sounds made a choice to dwell in this domain but it is abusing a consumer protection.

Case closed. What happened, according to Acoustic Sounds: there was a single unit returned by a customer. This unit was returned and accidently placed into new stock inventory, and I received this returned unit by mistake.

I asked them for a 10% discount, they agreed, and issued a refund to my PayPal account. So I don't have any reason whatsoever to not recommend Acoustic Sounds to anyone. There was a problem, they admitted it, and asked me what they should do to remedy the situation.

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #4,536 of 6,549
I've wanted one for a while, was really waiting for it to become available in the US, but then I purchased an AK240. Will be interesting to see if there is a noticeable difference between them, but I have terrible ears...

I have the M and demo'd the AK240 a while back. They both sound great, and very different. AK240 is quite noticeably more resolving, delivering micro details and better separation and soundstage, the M however is a more cohesive and atmospheric sound with better vocal presentation. AK240 more analytical, M more musical. I like them both, and want them both but can't justify the cost of the AK240. These comparisons were using my Lab 1, and Fitear Parterre - as well as the Heaven 7 and 8.

The Lab 1 with the M is pure synergy! The AK240 pushes some serious detail out of the Lab 1's. I would recommend that anyone with an M try to hear it with the Lab 1, and if you can't get a hold of the Lab 1 demo it with the Heaven 7 or 8 when they are out.

Today I demo'd the Chord Hugo for 30 minutes with my AK120 as the source, with both the Lab 1 and the Fitear Parterre. The Hugo was impressive but helped me realise just how good the M is. I definitely preferred the Lab 1 with the M over the Hugo. I preferred the Parterre with the Hugo over the M. Whilst the Partarre's do sound good with the M I do not think the M and Fitear's are a solid match. The thickness of the M doesn't allow the Parterre's (and I suspect other Fitear's) the required air they need to do the amazing imaging and 'out of head' sound they are capable of.

So my preference is M = AK240 > Hugo.

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #4,537 of 6,549

I have been busy - birthday weekend - but still have gotten in some good listening. I am really happy with my purchase. I spent an hour today listening to the DC1601SC lying in bed - a luxury that I could not enjoy before because the M did not drive them properly. Fantastic. I still give the edge to Modi > USB Monica > GS-X MK2 driving the 1601SC but they don't transport and the edge is not huge. M with the Aclear Porta ("AP") does justice to those great dynamic IEMs, as it does with the KAEDE and 1601SS / Piano Forte IX. (I need more time still with the latter regarding SQ but I have confirmed that the AP completely solves the impedance distortion issues. And when I did listen a few days back, I thought that the PF IX sounded great from the M with the AP.)

I cannot compare with the AK240. Based on what I hear with the Lab 1, it seems that the AP is bringing some of what Currawong described as the advantage of that player. But that kind of comparison based on description is completely unreliable - as much to me as to you.

As for the Lab 1, that is where I have been making most of my comparisons. There is nothing wrong with the M driving the Lab 1 directly. It is dreamy in its ambience and really a 'dream combination'. Yet I keep reinstalling the AP into the chain. It may be a little less dreamy and 'out there' but I like the definition. The 3D quality of the Lab 1 is retained but everything is clearer and the result sounds a bit more dynamic (whether or not it would measure so). We are talking a fairly subtle difference but it is there and I think that it is meaningful. Which you prefer will be a matter of taste.

I haven't gotten back to trying the AP with the Heaven VI. That is the combo where I do not plan to use it for practical reasons (M + heaven VI being my uber portable travel system). I also felt on my initial short listen that I quite liked the M alone's extra thickness with the Heaven VI (as I perceived it then) compared with the AP in the chain. However I travel up north tomorrow by plane and I will take the Aclear Porta with me on the trip. I will get a chance to compare some more.

I am still not ready to provide final conclusions but I will say this. I am basically completely satisfied with my portable and transportable rigs now. The Aclear Porta feels like the finishing touch for me.

Thanks for the above comments. I am thinking about selling my AK120 and picking up the "AP" (if possible). If by chance you have anything further to share re the AP after more listening please do so. Cheers.

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #4,538 of 6,549
Normally I prefer more musical over analytical, but I really do love the sound of the aks. They sound so damn good to me... But I've never owned a "musical" dap. Only AK line, Sony zx1, and Fiio X1 and 3. I'd probably love the Calyx M. I'm kind of torn between that and adding another pair of IEMS. Tough decision right now.

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #4,539 of 6,549
+1. I have had both for a while. Technically the 240 has an edge over the M on technicalities but in the end it boils down to synergy and sonic preference. I prefer the M for my Roxanne but my NT6-Pro sounds better driven by the 240.

Quote:

I have the M and demo'd the AK240 a while back. They both sound great, and very different. AK240 is quite noticeably more resolving, delivering micro details and better separation and soundstage, the M however is a more cohesive and atmospheric sound with better vocal presentation. AK240 more analytical, M more musical. I like them both, and want them both but can't justify the cost of the AK240. These comparisons were using my Lab 1, and Fitear Parterre - as well as the Heaven 7 and 8.

[...]

Nov 19, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #4,540 of 6,549
Since I will be sharing an SD card, if you remove the SD card and reinsert it does it have to scan it again? If it does, is it quick? The 240 does some sort of quick scan, but sees no changes, it doesn't take as long as the initial scan. 64gb card.

Nov 19, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #4,541 of 6,549
Since I will be sharing an SD card, if you remove the SD card and reinsert it does it have to scan it again? If it does, is it quick? The 240 does some sort of quick scan, but sees no changes, it doesn't take as long as the initial scan. 64gb card.

Rescan is probably faster than the initial scan, but still takes a minute or two (for a half filled 128GB microsdxc).

Nov 20, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #4,542 of 6,549
Thanks for the above comments. I am thinking about selling my AK120 and picking up the "AP" (if possible). If by chance you have anything further to share re the AP after more listening please do so. Cheers.

A well timed request. Yesterday I spent time listening to the M and Heaven VI, with and without the Aclear Porta NXT-2AK. Using the AP was pretty interesting with some music, particularly complex pieces. I did not know that the Heaven VI was capable of such 3D layering in the sound stage. It was almost Lab 1-like in that one regard. However... I much prefer the M + Heaven VI without the Aclear Porta in the chain. With the AP, the bass goes AWOL and the sound thins out. This was actually strongly evident with simple acoustic materials as much with rock. The cojones were gone.

In a way this is not surprising. The Heaven VI ramps up with power like no other IEM that I have heard. It has always sounded better with the Quickstep or Pico Power in the chain until the M arrived. The great revelation of the M was that it powered the VI well on its own. (And this is still my portable travel rig of choice.) So if the AP is tamping down power a bit - cleaner but less - the effect is most pronounced with the VI as it always has been.

I will use the M + Heaven VI as is.

So now I go back to try the Lab 1 again with this revelation in mind. To this point I have been preferring using the AP with the LAB 1 but I will let you know.

Nov 20, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #4,544 of 6,549
And here is the balanced micro to mini cable that is included with the AClear Porta NXT-2AK. It allows the micro jack balanced out of the AKs to feed the balanced in of the AClear Porta and pass through to the balanced out. Does using balanced instead of SE with the AClear Porta make much difference? As I remember, Currawong did not seem to think so. Anyway the cable is of no use to us M types.

Nov 20, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #4,545 of 6,549
Okay, I can make this fast... (plus I am rushing out for the evening...)

I just did another session with the M + Lab 1, with and without the AClear Porta NXT-2AK. Well... mostly with. To my ear, the M + Lab 1 sounds so much better when you add the AP to the chain. Whereas the AClear Porta cuts of the testes of the M + Heaven VI, it absolutely brings the Lab 1 to life. It is subtle in some ways yet really meaningful. Tonally there is no change - which is good. The bass is about as strong, just less bloom and better controlled. Everything from highs to lows is clearer, more defined and more lively. The wonderful layering of the Lab 1, already a fine match to the M, is simply enhanced.

Don't get me wrong, M + Lab 1 is a wonderful portable rig, almost an end-game portable rig. Until you add the AClear Porta into the chain. Now I cannot go back.

So for me it is:

M + Heaven VI FTW
M + AClear Porta NXT-2AK + Lab 1 FTW
M+ AClear Porta NXT-2AK + anything else that used to distort from the M FTW

All my tastes, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back