$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Nov 10, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #4,486 of 6,549
What I said a few posts above is the best generic description. I want some more time to listen and then I will do a more detailed description, primarily with the M and various IEMs but I will also test the X5 and maybe the DX50.

Nov 14, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #4,488 of 6,549
I just received my Calyx M yesterday, assembly date was May 2014 and firmware version was 0.96. I found it strange that the internal memory was nearly full, with several albums already stored, such as some Bob Dylan albums. Are these demo files included by the manufacturer or perhaps someone already used my DAP?

Nov 14, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #4,489 of 6,549
  I just received my Calyx M yesterday, assembly date was May 2014 and firmware version was 0.96. I found it strange that the internal memory was nearly full, with several albums already stored, such as some Bob Dylan albums. Are these demo files included by the manufacturer or perhaps someone already used my DAP?

Your M has most probably been used already. Mine came with no files on its internal memory. The demo files were on a DVD that contains an album named Audiophile Jazz Prologue III. The hi-res AIFF files on this disc were not on the unit.

Nov 14, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #4,490 of 6,549

Your M has most probably been used already. Mine came with no files on its internal memory. The demo files were on a DVD that contains an album named Audiophile Jazz Prologue III. The hi-res AIFF files on this disc were not on the unit.

Well, this is outrageous. In case anyone wants to know the name of the dealer, it's Acoustic Sounds. I already sent them an email complaining about the issue. Thre's no indication on their web page that the product they sell is an used item.

Nov 14, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #4,492 of 6,549

Well, this is outrageous. In case anyone wants to know the name of the dealer, it's Acoustic Sounds. I already sent them an email complaining about the issue. Thre's no indication on their web page that the product they sell is an used item.

They'll probably tell you it's 'tested', LOL. To be fair, it was likely a return with full backing as opposed to used but they should at least offer 10% off for a clean return. Hopefully they fess up and offer you a break or exchange. There's no excuse for not being straightforward with what they sold you but this is what happens with too many internet Headfiers trying everything under the sun and returning before 30 days to try the next thing. It's no reason for you to have to deal with it because Acoustic Sounds made a choice to dwell in this domain but it is abusing a consumer protection.

Nov 14, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #4,493 of 6,549
Holy crap.....
I've officially been tagged as a reviewer on head-fi
I don't know whether to be happy or sad the old ghetto-fi DigitalFreak days may be coming to an end?!?!?!?!?!

Nov 15, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #4,496 of 6,549

Nice review. Your comments comparing the Calyx M to the AK120 apply equally to the AK240. I had all three, but have just sold the AK240, which I can't justify keeping, when I find the Calyx M to be superior at around a third of the price.

Reeeeealy now?  I see you have HD800s, as I do...so plugging your Senns directly into the Calyx M, and doing the same with the AK240, you'd say the SQ is better with the Calyx M?  Because, if so, you've probably gone a long way to selling the Calyx M to me.

Nov 15, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #4,497 of 6,549

Reeeeealy now?  I see you have HD800s, as I do...so plugging your Senns directly into the Calyx M, and doing the same with the AK240, you'd say the SQ is better with the Calyx M?  Because, if so, you've probably gone a long way to selling the Calyx M to me.

The AK240 is now long gone, so I can't do this comparison. But when I had both, using the JH13s, Westone ES5s Beyer DT1350s and Senn HD25s, there was no question that the Calyx sounded much better, to me. I can't imagine that would change using the HD800s, although since I only use the Calyx M as a portable device, I don't think I would ever use headphones like the HD800s with it.

Nov 15, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #4,498 of 6,549
Incidentally, does anyone have any update on new firmware for folder browsing? This is still the only major drawback of this player and it is driving me crazy. I wish they would get on and fix it, already.

Nov 16, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #4,499 of 6,549
  What I said a few posts above is the best generic description. I want some more time to listen and then I will do a more detailed description, primarily with the M and various IEMs but I will also test the X5 and maybe the DX50.

Any more thoughts on the Aclear Porta that you could share yet? Have you tried your Lab 1's with the ak240? if so does the NXT-2AK add the same level of clarity, separation and soundstage? if it does then I would be keen to get one - but have no idea how I could?? thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back