$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Jun 8, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #3,181 of 6,549
Battery: Yesterday I had 6.5 hrs (almost no hires files) of continuous playing and I think it's almost the physical limit of the the battery. It will be hard to get a better number with a sw update. If a longer battery life is necessary to you, M is definitely not yours. But a problem is to get a full charge is tricky with the present sw. You have to change from the rapid charge mode to the normal mode and charge over the full battery indicator. I expect this bettered by a sw update.

So called glue problem: It is simply not a problem IMO. A guy who received the first batch of preorders deliberately inserted a sheet of paper between the front bottom plastic decoration and the lcd and it was detached. (I don't understand such a behavior personally.) The company's explanation was that the glue was not fully dried. I think it cannot be repeated theoretically because such an early delivery is not necessary after the first batch (and oversea delivery time is sufficient to dry the glue fully).

Jun 8, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #3,183 of 6,549
  I think the criticisms of the Calyx M are overstated. I have no issues with the casework or the build quality. The only issues I am having are the (current) absence of folder view, and the relatively short battery life. Folder view is being corrected, and I can live with 3-5 hours of battery life. The important thing is that this DAP sounds amazing, at less than half the price of the AK240 or Hugo, and has the capacity to carry 448gb of music. As I reported earlier, with CIEMs I think it sounds better than the Hugo. That is quite an achievement. 

There is a tendency on Head-fi to attack a lot of new and interesting products, particularly from smaller manufacturers, because they don't all have the production facilities of Sony or Apple. Frankly, the minor shortcomings of the Calyx M are nothing compared with the frustrations I have with itunes. We should be encouraging these manufacturers, not overstating minor criticisms, particularly when the product is this good. I note that most of the criticism is coming from people who haven't heard the Calyx M. If the product is not yet developed enough for you to buy one, that is fine, but the negativity in threads like this must make some manufacturers wonder why they bother.

This is a good post... Thanks.  It is not unreasonable though to expect a finished product for $1399..

Ross if you have the time are you able to provide us with a little more detailed description of the M's sound quality as you hear it ? That would be appreciated.  

Jun 8, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #3,184 of 6,549
I think just because a few received a problem free product (physically) doesn't mean others received the same. That can be said the same vice versa. Hence why getting info including criticisms from others who had/have the product is essential.
Unlike DX50 which had a number of criticisms, don't forget they released their products to the general mass compared to Calyx who has only delivered quite a few. Yet with many criticisms from only those few is still quite worrying.
Hopefully they'll buck up after all their glorious self proclaimed best sounding statements.

Jun 8, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #3,185 of 6,549

This is a good post... Thanks.  It is not unreasonable though to expect a finished product for $1399..

Ross if you have the time are you able to provide us with a little more detailed description of the M's sound quality as you hear it ? That would be appreciated.  

Which products are "finished"? Most products now are software-based and are constantly issuing firmware updates. Is iOS finished? Windows 8? The Calyx M works perfectly. It can be improved, and shortly will be through firmware updates, but it's not like it is fundamentally flawed or non-functioning.

I have commented earlier in the thread on the sound quality. The Calyx M has a big, bold, colourful presentation. It is very extended in both treble and bass, and has a sweet midrange. Tonal colours are bright and saturated. It is fast and dynamic. I really struggle to find anything to criticise. It is perhaps not quite as 3D or subtle as the Hugo, but it beats the Hugo on dynamics and tonal fullness. The AK120 sounds flat and dull by comparison.

Jun 9, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #3,186 of 6,549
Battery life is still a concern for me, and I can't say that the company's attitude (going by what we've been told in this thread, at any rate) fills me with confidence.  However, just for the sake of checking...

Can any M owners confirm 3 things please?

1 - that the M will recognise and play OGG files
2 - gapless is working
3 - that there do not appear to be any stupid file limits

Jun 9, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #3,187 of 6,549
  1 - that the M will recognise and play OGG files
2 - gapless is working
3 - that there do not appear to be any stupid file limits

1 Sorry, I don't have any ogg file, and did not try.
2 Flawlessly
3 Seems to be no. I've filled about 50% of internal memory and a 128g card with redbook flacs and filled a 128g card fully with dsd/24bit files. But I didn't see any limit in file size/numbers (well, as long as FAT32 allows of couse).

Jun 9, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #3,188 of 6,549
you know.. the first time i've listened to this device,
it's sound signature kinda represent old think that i used to hear.. Neko Audio D100 mk2.

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #3,190 of 6,549
clean warm, not a muddy one. i especially love that black background.
soundstage is quite big..

she earned a place in my wish list now, it completely beats ak120 out of the water IMO, based on my music and my friends' IEM that i borrowed to listen to M (TF10), mine is still... on the way i guess.
he also said that M whilst retain its black background, when paired with TF10, the aggressiveness is still there too.

Jun 9, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #3,191 of 6,549
Battery: Yesterday I had 6.5 hrs (almost no hires files) of continuous playing and I think it's almost the physical limit of the the battery. It will be hard to get a better number with a sw update. If a longer battery life is necessary to you, M is definitely not yours. But a problem is to get a full charge is tricky with the present sw. You have to change from the rapid charge mode to the normal mode and charge over the full battery indicator. I expect this bettered by a sw update.

So called glue problem: It is simply not a problem IMO. A guy who received the first batch of preorders deliberately inserted a sheet of paper between the front bottom plastic decoration and the lcd and it was detached. (I don't understand such a behavior personally.) The company's explanation was that the glue was not fully dried. I think it cannot be repeated theoretically because such an early delivery is not necessary after the first batch (and oversea delivery time is sufficient to dry the glue fully).

That guy has nothing better to do? I thought the 1st thing you would do to a DAP is to pump it up with music and listen to its SQ lol...

Jun 10, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #3,192 of 6,549
That guy has nothing better to do? I thought the 1st thing you would do to a DAP is to pump it up with music and listen to its SQ lol...

Well because it didnt seem to fully attached, so he did that. And to me, very understandable behavior, so to calyx, so the ceo personally apologied for sending the finished product with not- yet-dried deco(if all this was just coo-coo behavior from one idiosyncratic consumer, the ceo wouldnt have apologized. trust me, this ceo is not very prone to apologize. And in that situation, what he did was wise, becuase there were some hardware problems in the first batch)
But like I said before, Calyx cherishes the foreign markets very much because they expect to sell more there than domestic market, so they may have solved some very elementary problems(the information they collected from domestic first batch users) before sending them to overseas markets.
I hope they did.

Jun 10, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #3,193 of 6,549
  1 Sorry, I don't have any ogg file, and did not try.
2 Flawlessly
3 Seems to be no. I've filled about 50% of internal memory and a 128g card with redbook flacs and filled a 128g card fully with dsd/24bit files. But I didn't see any limit in file size/numbers (well, as long as FAT32 allows of couse).

Thanks gracky.

Any M owners with OGG files willing to give them a test (from a purely functioning point of view, rather than SQ)?

Jun 11, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #3,194 of 6,549
I still like my X5 sound sig better than this one. I dunno if I have to somehow change my soundsig pref to something else to actually receive an upgrade.

then again my ****ty ears somehow get more enjoyment with the ak120 compared to the calyx

Jun 11, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #3,195 of 6,549
  I still like my X5 sound sig better than this one. I dunno if I have to somehow change my soundsig pref to something else to actually receive an upgrade.

then again my ****ty ears somehow get more enjoyment with the ak120 compared to the calyx

don't worry, even Suyama-san from FitEar still likes his AP100 more than M
LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back