$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Jun 13, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #3,213 of 6,549
you know, after listened to this again at local Jaben,
i've been thinking about choosing this or ZX1..

this players' sweet mids are haunting me in my dream hahaha

this type of sound signature would go soooo well with any IEM/CIEMs that sounds flat and boring.. it really brings out the musicality within them.. that's all in my ears, tho.

edit: spell check, grammars

I have to agree: the depth of the soundstage and the rich sonic textures are quite something. Especially now that the initial veil has been lifted in FW .6.

I agree so much that I put my money where my mouth is yesterday. :)

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #3,214 of 6,549
I have to agree: the depth of the soundstage and the rich sonic textures are quite something. Especially now that the initial veil has been lifted in FW .6.

I agree so much that I put my money where my mouth is yesterday.
smily_headphones1.gif

you can give up the money, and think of it as investment.. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #3,215 of 6,549
you know, after listened to this again at local Jaben,
i've been thinking about choosing this or ZX1..

this players' sweet mids are haunting me in my dream hahaha

Wow, i think this is a good sign that this player has top sound quality

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #3,216 of 6,549
Jun 13, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #3,217 of 6,549

I agree so much that I put my money where my mouth is yesterday. :)

any impressions for comparison vs the AK240?

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #3,218 of 6,549

I believe I just stated my initial impressions: sonically rich and textured; depth of soundstage; musical. By contrast, the AK240 is more lean and transparent. :)

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #3,220 of 6,549
I believe I just stated my initial impressions: sonically rich and textured; depth of soundstage; musical. By contrast, the AK240 is more lean and transparent. :)

I am agree with your impression
Calyx has better depth and ak 240has better wide
But if you pair with external amp like Mass Ko Bo 395
Ak 240 + Mass Ko Bo 395 is better than Calyx M +Mass Ko Bo

IMO

Jun 13, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #3,221 of 6,549

I believe I just stated my initial impressions: sonically rich and textured; depth of soundstage; musical. By contrast, the AK240 is more lean and transparent.
smily_headphones1.gif

I would actually be more interested in hearing how the Calyx M sound quality compares to your 901 which in my opinion is the one to beat described with having a more involving, organic, and musical signature. Can you give a brief comparison of how close the Calyx comes to the balanced 901 sound quality?

Unfortunately, so far my shallow side has kept me from buying the balanced 901 brick given its looks and ergonomics. Not having heard it myself, the balanced 901 is supposed to have an enhanced version of my X5 signature. With my X5 / NT6pro pairing, I can feel the textures in addition to hearing them as if sitting on the subwoofer while finger squeaks across the frets give me shivers - even at low volumes. Is this what the Calyx M signature is like?

If not, I may just have to plug my nose and buy a balanced 901. 
blink.gif

Jun 13, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #3,222 of 6,549
Calyx M was reviewed in german Audio magazine for July 2014. Scored 107 points, same as A&K AK120 II. For reference, AK240 got 110 points on March 2014 issue, AK 120 got 105 points on June 2013 issue.

Pros: unique and crystal clear playable sound as player and USB DAC, over headphones and line out. Logic, foolproof operation.

Cons: relatively power hungry (4-5h battery life).

Got an award for "dynamic sound".

Outstading measurements shows linear and extended frequency response. Distortion and noise are in Reference levels: SNR of 116dB. Output voltage is 1.25V. Thanks to an output impedance of 1.8 ohm it is perfect for mobile phones. Jitter of 150ps is very thin.

Jun 13, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #3,223 of 6,549
I am agree with your impression
Calyx has better depth and ak 240has better wide
But if you pair with external amp like Mass Ko Bo 395
Ak 240 + Mass Ko Bo 395 is better than Calyx M +Mass Ko Bo

IMO

Agreed, Rudi. In terms of connectivity, the AK240 is better provisioned. For myself since I use the Bricasti M1 DAC, I don't actually use my DAPs to drive my desktop amps. If I do, I use the DAP purely as a transport: optical out into the desktop DAC. :)

Jun 13, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #3,224 of 6,549
And the HM901, please? :D

Ah... I think the 901 has better clarity and transparency whilst the Calyx M's strength is the sonic richness of its output. :)

Jun 13, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #3,225 of 6,549
I would actually be more interested in hearing how the Calyx M sound quality compares to your 901 which in my opinion is the one to beat described with having a more involving, organic, and musical signature. Can you give a brief comparison of how close the Calyx comes to the balanced 901 sound quality?

Unfortunately, so far my shallow side has kept me from buying the balanced 901 brick given its looks and ergonomics. Not having heard it myself, the balanced 901 is supposed to have an enhanced version of my X5 signature. [COLOR=0000FF]With my X5 / NT6pro pairing, I can feel the textures in addition to hearing them as if sitting on the subwoofer while finger squeaks across the frets give me shivers - even at low volumes.[/COLOR] Is this what the Calyx M signature is like?

If not, I may just have to plug my nose and buy a balanced 901. :blink:  

Both the 901 and Calyx M have organic and musical sigs. However, the 901 edges if in terms of pure SQ: by virtue of it's added transparency and clarity. The Calyx M is warmer and thicker by comparison.

Do note that I tend to listen to my 901 using the iem amp card. I find the balanced card on SE too "blunt" for my liking. The iem card is a lot more refined.

Hence, if you are after a musical and organic sound, the 901 shades it. I think it's a wonderful balance of musicality and transparency. However, that said, the Calyx M is not be sniffed at. It is certainly very enjoyable. :)

Go have a try. You will find yourself yourself seduced by the lulling musicality. And be enveloped by the music. Which is what this hobby is about, isn't it?

One last thing: I don't know if anyone loads the music on the CD that comes with the Calyx M onto the DAP, but you really should. It sounds heavenly on the Calyx M and showcases its strengths. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back