$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Jun 14, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #3,241 of 6,550
The Calyx M DAP looks gorgeous to me but a pity the rated battery life is so short. Does anyone have had any prior experience to how the battery performs? I am considering between this and the Sony ZX1. 

If you do a search, the experience is around 6 hours. :)

Jun 14, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #3,242 of 6,550
Like I said it is the Audio magazine from Germany issue 07/2014 that reviews DAPs.
http://www.audio.de/abo/einzelhefte/?hnr=online.verlag.audio.ebteaser

Jun 14, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #3,246 of 6,550
  Perhaps the OLED consumes too much power? Just a wild guess..

Screens eat power.  It's also likely heavily biased by dap standards based on case temps.  It also has the XMOS quad processor and A5 sucking juice.  Battery size is less than the X5, nearly the same as the AK240, larger than the DX90.

Jun 14, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #3,247 of 6,550
Jun 14, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #3,248 of 6,550
Calyx M was reviewed in german Audio magazine for July 2014. Scored 107 points, same as A&K AK120 II. For reference, AK240 got 110 points on March 2014 issue, AK 120 got 105 points on June 2013 issue.

Pros: unique and crystal clear playable sound as player and USB DAC, over headphones and line out. Logic, foolproof operation.

Cons: relatively power hungry (4-5h battery life).

Got an award for "dynamic sound".

Outstading measurements shows linear and extended frequency response. Distortion and noise are in Reference levels: SNR of 116dB. Output voltage is 1.25V. Thanks to an output impedance of 1.8 ohm it is perfect for mobile phones. Jitter of 150ps is very thin.

Yes I read it, too.
I am a subscriber(through Ipad app) of Audio(yes I can read german just like i can read english) and it vindicated my suspicion that Calyx corrected M's elememtary problems, and they even changed impedance from supposedly near zero to 2ohms.
Which is good for you foreign guys. And now you guys can only talk about sq and battery life(I think Audio nailed M's short battery life), and of course basic function without hostility.(poor initial beta users are exception)
For your information, most of recent player(including the cheapest ipod model) has no problem with fr extension , and noise, distortion.
And I will post sq impression soon(hope you dont surprised by the fact that I am a one of unintended beta users, if I wasnt, why have I wasted precious time in foreign language website?)

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #3,249 of 6,550
Yes I read it, too.
I am a subscriber(through Ipad app) of Audio(yes I can read german just like i can read english) and it vindicated my suspicion that Calyx corrected M's elememtary problems, and they even changed impedance from supposedly near zero to 2ohms.
Which is good for you foreign guys. And now you guys can only talk about sq and battery life(I think Audio nailed M's short battery life), and of course basic function without hostility.(poor initial beta users are exception)
And I will post sq impression soon(hope you dont surprised I am a one of unintended beta users)

Very smart kitty, knowing German, Korean, and English.  
biggrin.gif
  So, how did they add the 2ohms?  How does the 2 additional ohms decrease hiss?  Possibly the gain was set to less, and result is higher output impedance?

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #3,250 of 6,550
Very smart kitty, knowing German, Korean, and English.  :D   So, how did they add the 2ohms?  How does the 2 additional ohms decrease hiss?  Possibly the gain was set to less, and result is higher output impedance?

Well, my id is not kitty, but ohotonge,which is recognized by many others except you so better start to learn read correctly. And since I am not a kitty but human it's possible to learn and read multiple languages(you looks like robot and considering current limitation in robot science, it's not surprising you dont understand learning multiple languages). And I can read chinese, too.(big five and also simplified)
Well, that's a joke so please dont take it too personally.
Increasing impedance is noticed not by me but by the calyx ceo(and officially announced by the adm of calym m cafe). So i guessed he did what he told for foreign batches(with better quality control, so no foreign reviewers and buyers have M without back cover properly sealed)
But I never bought his excuse that extra ohm would solve weird noise problem, and zero ohm cause the problem. if were you kind enough to read some of my accusations against calyx, you woulnt have asked me that question.

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #3,251 of 6,550
Well, my id is not kitty, but ohotonge,which is recognized by many others except you so better start to learn read correctly. And since I am not a kitty but human it's possible to learn and read multiple languages(you looks like robot and considering current limitation in robot science, it's not surprising you dont understand learning multiple languages). And I can read chinese, too.(big five and also simplified)
Increasing impedance is noticed not by me but by the calyx ceo(and officially announced by the adm of calym m cafe). So i guessed he did what he told for foreign batches(with better quality control, so no foreign reviewers and buyers have M without back cover properly sealed)
But I never bought his excuse that extra ohm would solve weird noise problem, and zero ohm cause the problem. if were you kind enough to read some of my accusations against calyx, you woulnt have asked me that question.

wheewww.  (^_^:wink:  I thougt you were offended until I read that.

I guess the back cover is the glue issue.

Maybe, that zero impedance was BS, and they couldn't take it down that low.  That's why I question it as it makes no sense technically.

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #3,252 of 6,550
wheewww.  (^_^:wink:  I thougt you were offended until I read that.

I guess the back cover is the glue issue.

Maybe, that zero impedance was BS, and they couldn't take it down that low.  That's why I question it as it makes no sense technically.

You are right. Technically I dont get the logic of the ceo, but still with the right headphone M sounds gorgeous. Calyx has very good technicians after all. I guess that makes me behave, even though I have some grudges.

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #3,253 of 6,550
You are right. Technically I dont get the logic of the ceo, but still with the right headphone M sounds gorgeous. Calyx has very good technicians after all. I guess that makes me behave, even though I have some grudges.

Please expand on this.  Which headphones are the ones are known to work well?  Some are just obviously terrible with anything, but some need the right source.  I'm more interested in UIEMs and CIEMs.  

Sounds like you like them, which phones do you use them with?

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #3,254 of 6,550

By the way, my robot friend know many languages.  Me I can write, but I can only speak in beeps sounds.

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #3,255 of 6,550
Au
Please expand on this.  Which headphones are the ones are known to work well?  Some are just obviously terrible with anything, but some need the right source.  I'm more interested in UIEMs and CIEMs.  

Sounds like you like them, which phones do you use them with?

Audeze lcd-x for starters, which I have and enjoy with M.(there's only one report that x has a weird noise with M)
For iems, well, there are too many conflicting impressions(I personally experienced the noise with some hi end iems which with my M have no problems) so I suspected there were some pure defective products, but reactions from the ceo made impossible to find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back