$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Jun 13, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #3,226 of 6,550
  Calyx M was reviewed in german Audio magazine for July 2014. Scored 107 points, same as A&K AK120 II. For reference, AK240 got 110 points on March 2014 issue, AK 120 got 105 points on June 2013 issue.

Pros: unique and crystal clear playable sound as player and USB DAC, over headphones and line out. Logic, foolproof operation.

Cons: relatively power hungry (4-5h battery life).

Got an award for "dynamic sound".

Outstading measurements shows linear and extended frequency response. Distortion and noise are in Reference levels: SNR of 116dB. Output voltage is 1.25V. Thanks to an output impedance of 1.8 ohm it is perfect for mobile phones. Jitter of 150ps is very thin.

Is there a link to this online please? (German language is no problem; I have friends...)

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #3,228 of 6,550
Do note that I tend to listen to my 901 using the iem amp card. I find the balanced card on SE too "blunt" for my liking. The iem card is a lot more refined.

thanks, Kiats!

Looks like I need a new amp card than a new DAP....

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #3,229 of 6,550
  In my opinion, transparency is the key indicator of a components SQ and should never be sacrificed for musicality, warmth, richness, etc.

Mr. Chen, we meet again.  
biggrin.gif
  Lovin the Vorzuge like you said I would.  I disagree somewhat with what you say, I think warmth is needed for realism or realistic tones to the sound.  I noticed it with DX100.  If it's cold, it sounds to analytical like the HD800, and tones are not real sounding, but it can be detailed and revealing, just not realistic.  

If the Calyx M warmth is like the DX100 warmth in a small package with better interface, I don't mind that.

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #3,230 of 6,550
  Mr. Chen, we meet again.  
biggrin.gif
  Lovin the Vorzuge like you said I would.  I disagree somewhat with what you say, I think warmth is needed for realism or realistic tones to the sound.  I noticed it with DX100.  If it's cold, it sounds to analytical like the HD800, and tones are not real sounding, but it can be detailed and revealing, just not realistic.  

If the Calyx M warmth is like the DX100 warmth in a small package with better interface, I don't mind that.

A bit OT but the HD800 scales like no other headphone out there. It is as good as what you feed it. I will have the GS-X mk2 + HD800 combo very soon...

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #3,231 of 6,550
thanks, Kiats!

Looks like I need a new amp card than a new DAP....

Heheh! If you can't get hold of an iem amp card to audition, let me know? I can bring mine up in Aug for you to try out. :)

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #3,232 of 6,550
  Mr. Chen, we meet again.  
biggrin.gif

Wait, they both use the non-mobile ES9018.  Both sound warm.  hmmmm...  Of course the Calyx has better portability being much slimmer, and the ui would hopefully be better as the DX100 is not the most responsive.  I have a bad feeling the Amp section on the M may not be as good at the DX100's

This is probably why DX100's LO and HPO do not make much of a difference with a quality external amp.  This is why it's so hugo, probably the same for HM901.

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #3,233 of 6,550
Well the Calyx M uses the 9018m. It's the 901 that uses the non-mobile version.

Quote:
  Wait, they both use the non-mobile ES9018.  Both sound warm.  hmmmm...  Of course the Calyx has better portability being much slimmer, and the ui would hopefully be better as the DX100 is not the most responsive.  I have a bad feeling the Amp section on the M may not be as good at the DX100's

This is probably why DX100's LO and HPO do not make much of a difference with a quality external amp.  This is why it's so hugo, probably the same for HM901.

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #3,234 of 6,550

Oops I thought the non-mobile as the DX100 uses, non-mobile.  I guess for small form factor you need to go with mobile as the battery size needs to increase and become a HM901 size.  I had a chance to try the LO out of DX90, and thought the non-mobile ES9018(on the DX100) sounded more laid back and warmer with more subtle details, but he DX90 LO with mobile chip more forward with colder and bolder details if that makes any sense.

Something I realized is that why these DAPs sound less than steller is the lack of quality in the amp section.  All you need to do is, add a top amp to it's  LO and you have a good performing player probably competitive to AK series and same some money, but if Calyx can do it in the slim size, which I doubt, it is better in terms of portability. 

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #3,235 of 6,550

Yup. The dx100 was revolutionary during its time because if was the first portable player to incorporate the chip that was usually used in desktop DACs. That being said, the BMC desktop DAC/amp uses the same chip as the Calyx M.

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #3,236 of 6,550
It is rare for a DAP's internal amp to be able to match a truly fine external amp like the Pico Power or Quickstep. Matias did not quote the THD numbers measured by the unnamed German magazine but if they are truly "reference" (as Calyx's published specs also suggest) then stacking the M will be an option. Of course, I would rather not have to.

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #3,237 of 6,550
In my opinion, transparency is the key indicator of a components SQ and should never be sacrificed for musicality, warmth, richness, etc.

Agreed to some extend. Transparency is also my top priority in determining sound quality. Not that I don't enjoy the other aspects but transparency is the foundation. Having said that, a DAP or source that is really transparent but harsh doesn't really work for me either. I think most high-end makers are trying to strike that perfect balances, but this perfect balance won't likely be the same for you/me/him/her as it is always subjective.

Demo'ed a production M (v0.6) again, for me it still sounded too full with treble rolled off and not as transparent as I would like.

Jun 14, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #3,238 of 6,550
How come the battery life is terrible short on M? I can't understand, it is not like it has a DX100/R10 power output or something. The dac chip is also not a desktop system chip, it is designed for mobile purposes.

Jun 14, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #3,239 of 6,550
The Calyx M DAP looks gorgeous to me but a pity the rated battery life is so short. Does anyone have had any prior experience to how the battery performs? I am considering between this and the Sony ZX1. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back