$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Jun 7, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #3,167 of 6,549
  it gets really hot in temperature when you put Calyx in any sort of sealed bags, means the firm ware .6 isn't quite completed its duty regarding the battery efficiency...

Define hot.  Can't touch hot or warm on the face hot?

Jun 8, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #3,168 of 6,549
Hello guys here are some of problems according to the post of the Ceo :

1. Trembling of left side oled monitor
2. No manuals
3. Some decoration is not properly glued
4. No folder recognition and play
5. Occasional malfunctioning of On/Off button
Well, these are prolems that he will address in the near future.
And of course the ceo promised the problems of noises(but hasnt delivered yet) but if you guys cant find this problem, my guess is calyx fixed it for foreign version.
And I had thought I saw the announcement about impending solution for the battery life, but I coulnt find it so i dont think battery life problem will be solved shortly.
If you see 'bug reports' sections of naver M cafe threre are many many small and big problems(here go beta testers~), and I will let you guys know if any of them is related to yours.
And surprisingly(or not surprisingly) many buyers are happy with sq of M even though constantly complaining about ui, battery life etc...

Jun 8, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #3,169 of 6,549
Helli guys here are some of problems(impending solution) according to the post of the Ceo :

2. No manuals
And of course the ceo promised the problems of noises(but hasnt delivered yet) but if you guys cant find this problem, my guess is calyx fixed it for foreign version.
And I had thought I saw the announcement about impending solution for the battery life, but I coulnt find it.
If you see 'bug reports' sections of naver M cafe threre are many small and big problems, and I will let you guys know if any of them is related to yours.
And surprisingly(or not surprisingly) many of buyers are happy with sq of M even though constantly complaining about ui, battery life etc...

Sounds like a mess.  It's nice to have a Korean kitty here to translate.   
etysmile.gif
  I hope you're not a cat that works for ibasso and feeding us hot air to be disappointed with M, and make us buy the DX90.  
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #3,171 of 6,549
Helli guys here are some of problems(impending solution) according to the post of the Ceo :

2. No manuals
And I had thought I saw the announcement about impending solution for the battery life, but I coulnt find it.
If you see 'bug reports' sections of naver M cafe threre are many small and big problems, and I will let you guys know if any of them is related to yours.
And surprisingly(or not surprisingly) many of buyers are happy with sq of M even though constantly complaining about ui, battery life etc...

Thanks for the info. I for one am not surprised that people are happy with the SQ. While it is not a sig I would prefer over my current DAPs, I can also enjoy it. Even UI didn't bugged me so much. However, the bigger disappointment for me was the built/finishing/casing material is really not up to my expectation.

Jun 8, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #3,173 of 6,549
  the question is... when will we see this on Amazon.com or ebay?

Good question, so that I can order it from Amazon for their excellent return policy, review this and rip it to shreds like the DX90, get all the M owners all riled up, especially cooperpwc, and then return it, and then move on to the next high end DAP thread, maybe AK240 next, and then keep repeating, and eventually end up at Hugo thread, and say it sounds like crap on their too, and it will be over.  Finito, Done, no more.  
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 8, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #3,174 of 6,549
Now, now... I am not an M owner. Not yet anyway. :)

I just sent Justin $2,000 as the balance on my Headamp GS-X mk2. So a $1,000 for the M may have to wait a bit - doubly because I think that they
are still refining production. Firmware can't solve poor gluing or faulty on/off switches.

Jun 8, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #3,175 of 6,549
  Now, now... I am not an M owner. Not yet anyway. :)

I just sent Justin $2,000 as the balance on my Headamp GS-X mk2. So a $1,000 for the M may have to wait a bit - doubly because I think that they
are still refining production. Firmware can't solve poor gluing or faulty on/off switches.

Congratz on getting the GSX2 soon!!!!

I guess I'm also going to wait for the next model from Calyx.... it's really hard to get production right for smaller firm on the first go about.  

Jun 8, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #3,176 of 6,549
exactly.. I think they're still in refining their products. This product is far from complete. Battery won't be significantly improved by firmware update. Its casing and gluing have nothing to do with its firmware. They need to make a new version of this product with a functional battery and firmware. 

Jun 8, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #3,177 of 6,549
  exactly.. I think they're still in refining their products. This product is far from complete. Battery won't be significantly improved by firmware update. Its casing and gluing have nothing to do with its firmware. They need to make a new version of this product with a functional battery and firmware. 

Yeah, I'm hoping this was a lesson learned.  The project was pretty ambitious, and lots of us were drawn to it because what it offered, but their inexperience shows, and I'm sure they will not make the same mistakes again, and hopefully come up with a good competing product.

Jun 8, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #3,178 of 6,549

Congratz on getting the GSX2 soon!!!!

I guess I'm also going to wait for the next model from Calyx.... it's really hard to get production right for smaller firm on the first go about.

Thanks. I am excited!

I'm still interested in the M. I want to hear it myself and also give them time to iron out the kinks.

Jun 8, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #3,179 of 6,549

What gluing problems is M having?

Jun 8, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #3,180 of 6,549
I think the criticisms of the Calyx M are overstated. I have no issues with the casework or the build quality. The only issues I am having are the (current) absence of folder view, and the relatively short battery life. Folder view is being corrected, and I can live with 3-5 hours of battery life. The important thing is that this DAP sounds amazing, at less than half the price of the AK240 or Hugo, and has the capacity to carry 448gb of music. As I reported earlier, with CIEMs I think it sounds better than the Hugo. That is quite an achievement. 

There is a tendency on Head-fi to attack a lot of new and interesting products, particularly from smaller manufacturers, because they don't all have the production facilities of Sony or Apple. Frankly, the minor shortcomings of the Calyx M are nothing compared with the frustrations I have with itunes. We should be encouraging these manufacturers, not overstating minor criticisms, particularly when the product is this good. I note that most of the criticism is coming from people who haven't heard the Calyx M. If the product is not yet developed enough for you to buy one, that is fine, but the negativity in threads like this must make some manufacturers wonder why they bother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back