$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Jun 7, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #3,151 of 6,549

That's strange. What might be the reason that blocks music playback while charging?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Folder browsing and better battery management, that's great news.

Jun 7, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #3,154 of 6,549
That's a little unfair. It has a few glitches, but despite that it still functions perfectly well, and still sounds amazing. Even if these issues were never resolved, I would have bought mine, the sound quality is so good.

Jun 7, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #3,155 of 6,549
It is not unusual for early firmwares to be buggy. In theory, it should be possible to ship a product with bugs fully addressed from the get-go. In practice, it almost never happens, especially from small companies. So as an early buyer, one is a de facto beta tester. That is just the way it is.

Jun 7, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #3,156 of 6,549
I haven't been able to play music while charging.

If the usb port is connected when the unit is turned off, it enters the rapid charge mode and does not boot. You should turn it on (by disconnecting usb and restarting after some charging) and connect usb to get charging with the unit running. In this case a menu appears to choose charge only, file transfer and usb dac modes. It took a day for me to find this out!
One tip is it seems that it's hard to get full charge with the rapid charge mode only. It's better to restart the unit after some or seemingly fully charging with the rapid charge mode.
Another tip, you get a little of charging in the usb dac mode. But the current is far less than the charge only mode the company said.

Jun 7, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #3,157 of 6,549
  What, you only need for walking home from school?  :p

Someone is giving away their age :wink:  I haven't been to school in decades.

I'm only away from power while on my commute which is all of 25-40 minutes.

That said, if the M can't play from it's internal storage while charging... I'm out since my usage case is at home as a dac, on the commute as a dap and at work I mix between internet radio and internal storage playback.

Jun 7, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #3,158 of 6,549
You should turn it on (by disconnecting usb and restarting after some charging) and connect usb to get charging with the unit running. In this case a menu appears to choose charge only, file transfer and usb dac modes.

Why would people do this any differently?  So it does in fact work exactly like the AK models and I'm in... again.

Jun 7, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #3,159 of 6,549
Someone is giving away their age :wink:  I haven't been to school in decades.

I'm only away from power while on my commute which is all of 25-40 minutes.

That said, if the M can't play from it's internal storage while charging... I'm out since my usage case is at home as a dac, on the commute as a dap and at work I mix between internet radio and internal storage playback.

Very similar pattern, you need all of those functions at home, commute and work, In a way a flexible dap.

Jun 7, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #3,160 of 6,549
If they can get the battery life up to 8+ hours, I think that'll be enough for most people.

Jun 7, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #3,161 of 6,549
  If they can get the battery life up to 8+ hours, I think that'll be enough for most people.

I see it easily reaching to that point for iems with reasonable volume level without screen on of course, and I think Calyx probably gave out the most efficient spec value.  I'm sure they didn't give the value out for HE-6 as load in mind.  :p

I've recently compared the mid-fi DAPs, and quite disappointed.  I hope this one isn't another hot air.

Jun 7, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #3,162 of 6,549
  a question to Calyx M owners. 
Can you play music while charging?
If you can, can you try to use an external USB battery? 
I think this can significantly improve its battery shortage problem.

Yope... You can play music while charging.
Yope ... some o ' my buddies already using those external batteries of many sorts.

Talkin about the battery of Calyx M... I would say it lasts as long as other DAPs already on the market...(means not so great)
it gets really hot in temperature when you put Calyx in any sort of sealed bags, means the firm ware .6 isn't quite completed its duty regarding the battery efficiency...
fortunately, newer version of its firmware is soon to be released... as soon as a week or so...
I expect better battery efficiency for sure...

Jun 7, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #3,163 of 6,549
  Maybe there is still some hope for M after all huh?

Try check the sound when you have chance...
I'm sure you will be a fan.. bro, no matter it has some difficulty w/ this n that still,,,
I used to talk bad things about this product... my attitude instantly got changed after my first try of the sound... 
trust me ... you will be happy about this device
no bully. :p..

Jun 7, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #3,164 of 6,549
  Try check the sound when you have chance...
I'm sure you will be a fan.. bro, no matter it has some difficulty w/ this n that still,,,
I used to talk bad things about this product... my attitude instantly got changed after my first try of the sound... 
trust me ... you will be happy about this device
no bully. :p..

If they ever bring it to Eu maybe I can try
rolleyes.gif

Jun 7, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #3,165 of 6,549

If they ever bring it to Eu maybe I can try
rolleyes.gif

The firmware version is still.6.... I'm sure this will be out to EU soon or later...(perhaps when it gets to near 1.0...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back