$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Jun 6, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #3,121 of 6,550
Out The box Calyx M

Note : For 1K USD The packaging look so cheap , but it is very Good for Meried Man , The wife doesnt notice
It is 1K USD DAP hahaha
biggrin.gif

Where did you buy this???
Does it come with a leather case?

Jun 6, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #3,125 of 6,550
Hey Rudi, looking forward to hear your detailed impressions.

Would you compare it to HDP R10 as a standalone dap, with iems and ciems like your MH335DW and other iems?

I am more interested in standalone dap performance than paired with an amp. Also how is battery life with 16 bit flacs/wavs? Can it pass 7 hours at least?

Now I let burn in with 50% volume pair with T 50 p
Tomorrow I will update how long the battery can last ?
I fell no longer than 7 hours
Please wait and see tomorrow

Jun 6, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #3,133 of 6,550
I've spent a couple of days now with the Calyx M.

First, with my JH13 Pros the SQ is up there with anything I have heard. In fact, for portable use, I like it more than the Hugo. There, I said it! It's not just the form factor of having a single unit which can fit in the pocket, and the ability to travel with 448gb. It sounds richer, fuller, and more tonally saturated. It is not quite as smooth (particularly up top) as the Hugo, and perhaps not quite as organically three-dimensional, but all the detail is there, while sounding faster and more dynamic than any portable source I have yet used, and tonally richer. I am seriously loving this thing.

The downsides are the UI and battery life. The UI is quite functional and once you have figured it out is relatively easy to use, but it really needs folder view in a hurry. Even with only 128gb on mine so far, I find navigating albums a challenge.

Yesterday I let the Calyx M charge overnight, and then used it intermittently throughout the day. It had maybe 3 hours continuous use in total (although it was powered on or off half a dozen times),  and by mid-afternoon the charge was down to 19%. I can probably live with this, since I am rarely far from a power socket, But long-haul flights from Sydney to London may not be feasible without a backup plan.

Jun 6, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #3,135 of 6,550
The only battery number I want to see is... from full charge, iems at a reasonable level, press play for all songs (no higher than 16/44) random, screen off, walk away.  Come back after 7 hours and see if it's still playing.  If yes, come back hourly until you hear nothing out of the iem.  Don't play with the ui or screen to check the battery life just use the iem to check if it is still alive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back