$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Apr 11, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #2,161 of 6,549
Overall I think that too much attention is being paid to the supposed commonality between the M and the DX90. I have a Stoner Audio DAC using the full Sabre chip and it is nothing special (nor at $50 do I have much complaint). It is all in the implementation - especially with the Sabre chip. The second point is the amp sections are different and for this we can assume no commonality whatsoever. (I actually think that the Rockboxed DX50 is a nice source through the line out. However the internal amp is kind of lifeless. The DX90 is meant to improve this; here is hoping.)

My point is that the M will rightly be compared to all of the competitors out there - not specifically the DX90. Its price will be justified or otherwise on the sum of what it brings to the table. I personally have high hopes but I want to hear it before I commit. I am especially curious to find out whether it can do what I require without a further external amp.

Apr 11, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #2,162 of 6,549
  I made a Calyx M enclosure mock-up just to have a feel of its size and to compared it with my DX50 and iPhone 5s. Initially I was quite worried about the size, I don't want to haul a large player around. 
Having checked out its dimensions I think it's not bad at all but the 230 g might make it feel heavy. I guess next I should add 230 g of metal in there. 
biggrin.gif

Calyx M size comparison  

DX50iPhone 5s

Mr. Musicheavean,

When would your "M" be general available??

How much does it cost, plus shipping?? BTW, Hong Kong here.

Would you offer some kind of Early Bird Purchase, something like 15.1% discount for worldwide customers?

1 Year Warranty??

Best Regards.
Your First "M" Customer.

evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 11, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #2,165 of 6,549
  I just want to see a DX90 vs Calyx M comparison, when two daps use the same DAC there is no where to hide in a comparison!

Should really be the DX90 and X5 since despite different dac chips they share the same i/v, filter, amp only difference being buffers and single v dual of the same opamp.

That said once people started saying the DX90 needed hundreds of hours of burn in... I was out.  If electronics sound bad out of the box or at most after they warm up in the case of class A gear... all that is burning in is your brain getting used to crap being your new norm.  No different than using bass heavy cans until burn in magically flattens and tightens the bass out /facepalm

Apr 11, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #2,166 of 6,549

Should really be the DX90 and X5 since despite different dac chips they share the same i/v, filter, amp only difference being buffers and single v dual of the same opamp.

That said once people started saying the DX90 needed hundreds of hours of burn in... I was out.  If electronics sound bad out of the box or at most after they warm up in the case of class A gear... all that is burning in is your brain getting used to crap being your new norm.  No different than using bass heavy cans until burn in magically flattens and tightens the bass out /facepalm

Too bad because the DX50 took a little while to sound good too. The same happened to me with the X5, when I reviewed it (early on) and then listened to it few days later, it sounded like a different player. If there is one person who has a reluctance to buy into burn-ins is me but when you can't explain the change, that is the best reason you can find because there isn't anything else. BTW you are not the first one who does not believe in it and won't be the last one either so welcome to Head-Fi! 
beerchug.gif

Apr 11, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #2,167 of 6,549
  Too bad because the DX50 took a little while to sound good too. The same happened to me with the X5, when I reviewed it (early on) and then listened to it few days later, it sounded like a different player. If there is one person who has a reluctance to buy into burn-ins is me but when you can't explain the change, that is the best reason you can find because there isn't anything else. BTW you are not the first one who does not believe in it and won't be the last one either so welcome to Head-Fi! 
beerchug.gif

I didn't believe in burn in of solid-state music players either until the past week when my new X5 made a significant transformation.  It sounds considerably better after about 10-12 hrs of burn-in.  I am almost positive this wasn't just "getting used to" the sound as I have continually compared it to my old music player.

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #2,168 of 6,549
Hmnn the burn-in discussion has spilled over here as well. Anyway, hope the M arrive soon at local dealers so we can have comparisons rolling in. DX90 will be arriving to several beta pigs staring Monday. Exciting times coming ahead.

Apr 12, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #2,169 of 6,549
That said once people started saying the DX90 needed hundreds of hours of burn in... I was out.  ....

I believe only one person said that, if he said it at all. There is only one owner of the DX90 of these forums at the moment. It will be a different story within a few days, as they just started to ship out.

Apr 12, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #2,170 of 6,549

No one said it was bad out of the box. I certainly liked my ak120 and anv3 when new but liked them even more after a time. If you don't believe, don't but that's reading in a bit too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back