$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Apr 13, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #2,176 of 6,549
  Quote:

Agreed.

I hope it was obvious that I was being a bit mischievous with my question
evil_smiley.gif

You're always mischievous
biggrin.gif
 Are you still planning on getting the DX90? Or are you holding off until the M releases? I'm still indecisive on what to do 
confused_face.gif

Apr 13, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #2,177 of 6,549
Calyx M for me unless iBasso gets their dac driver ready soon.  Money isn't an issue, and aside from the slider volume I prefer the Calyx M look.  

Slider though gives huge potential to ruin the player.  If for some reason I don't lock the AK100 and it rubs the volume change is next to nothing.  The Calyx could go from 0 to BOOM! in an instant unless there is some protection built in.

Anyone had any hands on time with it?

Apr 13, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #2,178 of 6,549
it's not available yet, we are still waiting for some owners to post their impressions. They have not shipped the dap internationally at this stage so no reviews, no impressions. It has some designs issues like Mython has so eloquently described but it has definitively a lot of working features per the facebook page, again until someone has played with it and exercised its UI, it's only going to be conjuncture a this point.

Apr 13, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #2,179 of 6,549
I'm coming from the original Zune, now AK100.  All I care about is sound quality, functional usb dac, shuffle and folder browsing.  Anything else is gravy.

Apr 13, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #2,181 of 6,549
Ok so this is single ESS SABRE 9018 K2M implementation?  The specs doesn't impress me as much as the DX90.  DX90 is duel ESS SABRE 9018 K2M with more powerful amp section.  Let's not forget, the DX90 is less than half the price of this.  

Apr 13, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #2,182 of 6,549
In my opinion dual 2M for a single ended product is a waste of battery and board space.  It's also more likely to be Sabre like, read bad, compared to a two channel setup.  More power is also a battery killer and just begging for noise when most people using a DAP will have iems that will blow out your ears at 1mW.  110dB at 1mW in the case of my 846.  And at my peak listening level the 846 uses a whopping 10mV out of the 1250mV on tap.  I'll be fine :wink:

Apr 13, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #2,183 of 6,549
  In my opinion dual 2M for a single ended product is a waste of battery and board space.  It's also more likely to be Sabre like, read bad, compared to a two channel setup.  More power is also a battery killer and just begging for noise when most people using a DAP will have iems that will blow out your ears at 1mW.  110dB at 1mW in the case of my 846.  And at my peak listening level the 846 uses a whopping 10mV out of the 1250mV on tap.  I'll be fine :wink:

DX90 battery life is 8 hours.  Calyx is 7 according to the video. Also can the Calyx work as usb DAC?

Apr 13, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #2,184 of 6,549
Yes right up to DSD.   Not saying the M battery life is greater, screens eat juice, just that the DX90 would have had greater life if they used just 1 2M and 1 I/V opamp.

I only use my DAP for my commute, the rest of the time it's plugged into my office or home computer so as long as it can be charged and used at the same time... all good.

Apr 14, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #2,185 of 6,549
Should really be the DX90 and X5 since despite different dac chips they share the same i/v, filter, amp only difference being buffers and single v dual of the same opamp.

That said once people started saying the DX90 needed hundreds of hours of burn in... I was out.  If electronics sound bad out of the box or at most after they warm up in the case of class A gear... all that is burning in is your brain getting used to crap being your new norm.  No different than using bass heavy cans until burn in magically flattens and tightens the bass out /facepalm

LOL I find dx90 rather good straight out of the box... not sure where the burn in talks came from other than ibasso threw in a dummy load cable.

iBasso's successful implementation of the 9018k2m seems to bode well for the M. With M's much bigger size it should allow even better power/AMP section implementation! Was a bit worried with the K2M after listening to BBK/TCL smartphones with it but the dx90 shows the chip is indeed very capable. Really want to demo the M soon.

Apr 14, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #2,186 of 6,549
Still no preview or listening impressions from INDEPENDANT reviewers
confused.gif
 Don't they have any pre-production working units to show to the press or during roadshow ??

Apr 14, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #2,187 of 6,549
  Still no preview or listening impressions from INDEPENDANT reviewers
confused.gif
 Don't they have any pre-production working units to show to the press or during roadshow ??

I keep seeing this kind of comment pop up in threads lately, so let me state something: Nobody is allowed to post a paid review here. It is a breach of the rules here (See the Terms of Service). Anyone who has the product in their possession who is posting voluntarily, without compensation, is independent. If someone has a unit that is on loan, or part of a beta testing program or some-such, they should declare that in their posts and reviews as appropriate.

Anyhow, please carry on with the discussion of the Calyx M. 
smile.gif

Apr 14, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #2,188 of 6,549
I have no problem with this dap and its features. It seems like a it is going to be a wonderful flagship product.

The only thing bothers me is Calyx's attitude towards us, international customers. I wish they could handle the process better. It is nothing about pre order discount 150 dollars or 250 dollars or etc. It is the attitude that pushed some people away.

On the other hand, I see people have doubts it about while I have none, I believe M will be a killer device that combines pretty much what is asked from a portable player with some extra bonus points and some small negative points (depending on your view). Still with 1k USD, I believe it might be the end of the line portable dap for most of the people.

I wish they could redesign that slider and be more thick skinned when the discussion was on fire earlier.

Apr 14, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #2,189 of 6,549
^ enough until I "unlike" their FB page... Lol!
I'll just wait until I hear the demo unit at Jaben or any other places before I decide whether it worth my hard earned money

Apr 14, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #2,190 of 6,549

But the DX90 is smaller, doesn't have less run time or describable amp noise. Calyx may turn out better but those aren't real concerns. Sabre like bad? Do you think a HM901 is bad? It's not my absolute favorite home dac but it may be the best one out there when using the inboard input an output circuitry which will always be the case in a DAP. Calyx also use it balanced in their top home DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back