$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Feb 9, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #871 of 6,549
I just can't decide. Should I go for 350 bucks X5 and call it a day or pay more premium price and have M. Both have their pros and cons (though cons are literally so small and most of them don't even bother me) so I guess both of them are good choices for me. It is just, my sign is pisces and I just screwing decide when there are two perfect options available.

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #872 of 6,549
I just can't decide. Should I go for 350 bucks X5 and call it a day or pay more premium price and have M. Both have their pros and cons (though cons are literally so small and most of them don't even bother me) so I guess both of them are good choices for me. It is just, my sign is pisces and I just screwing decide when there are two perfect options available.

if Calyx implement SQ found on their Femto then M is no brainer for me. finally i am thrilled and excited to see true high end in portable without nonsense compromises and overpricing. 999$ is damn great price for such a DAP.

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #874 of 6,549

Lol so am I and it always takes me forever to decide, right now there aren't that many choices in the sub 1k prices, X5, D90, ZX1 and Calyx M. My very initial idea was to go for a ESS ES9018 based dap due to the well known merits of that DAC but FiiO X5 implementation really go me by surprise. I am looking at end of April to make the final choice, all of those will be available or are available by then. If you can wait that long something will veer you in one direction or another and hopefully you won't look back.

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #875 of 6,549
Lol so am I and it always takes me forever to decide, right now there aren't that many choices in the sub 1k prices, X5, D90, ZX1 and Calyx M. My very initial idea was to go for a ESS ES9018 based dap due to the well known merits of that DAC but FiiO X5 implementation really go me by surprise. I am looking at end of April to make the final choice, all of those will be available or are available by then. If you can wait that long something will veer you in one direction or another and hopefully you won't look back.

For me it is even more smaller, ZX1 and DX90 are dead born babies (capacity issue) so I have to choose between X5 and M.

Both FiiO and Calyx deserves sales and attention from us, since they actually listen to their customers and do their best to satisfy us (man that wifi-capacity change stole my heart). If I had money, I would buy both X5 and M to support them honestly.

However, the truth hurts, I am a master student who saves a lot to improve his gear, so I can go with either of them, not both.

Feb 9, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #876 of 6,549
Amber, is the 128gig limit on the Zx1 a real deal breaker? I was thinking about this today and I think I could live with it at a push. You can't keep your entire music collection on there, but realistically there aren't going to be many where you can, if you have a big high def collection. Don't get me wrong, Calyx having the additional storage added in makes it a great proposition, but I just don't know whether I'd discount the Zx1 over storage

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Feb 9, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #877 of 6,549
For me it is even more smaller, ZX1 and DX90 are dead born babies (capacity issue) so I have to choose between X5 and M.

Both FiiO and Calyx deserves sales and attention from us, since they actually listen to their customers and do their best to satisfy us (man that wifi-capacity change stole my heart). If I had money, I would buy both X5 and M to support them honestly.

However, the truth hurts, I am a master student who saves a lot to improve his gear, so I can go with either of them, not both.

I have not used the Calyx M yet but the X5 and the Calyx M both have very different interface and functions, I would say list the functions you can't live without and pick one, if money is an issue your choice is very obvious. :wink:

Feb 9, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #878 of 6,549
If you're tight on money don't forget in order to take advantage of the Calyx's capacity you're looking at spending another $450 or so on a 256GB SD card. But I think you'll be much happier with it long term and you won't be looking to upgrade as soon. JMO

Feb 9, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #880 of 6,549

Both.  :)

Feb 9, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #882 of 6,549
Hi Mython,

I was not bashing...  

Anyway.. i just want to hear that it has superlative SQ and buy it... Forget about the equipment search and enjoy the music.

Feb 9, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #883 of 6,549
if Calyx implement SQ found on their Femto then M is no brainer for me. finally i am thrilled and excited to see true high end in portable without nonsense compromises and overpricing. 999$ is damn great price for such a DAP.

Can someone who has heard of the Femto before give an idea how the sq is like? Is it neutral, flat, warm, or bassy, etc? I have never heard it before and has no idea where to even try it.

Feb 9, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #885 of 6,549
Can someone who has heard of the Femto before give an idea how the sq is like? Is it neutral, flat, warm, or bassy, etc? I have never heard it before and has no idea where to even try it.

+1

I would love to read something about Femto also. I have heard a passing comment that it is too analytical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back