$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Feb 9, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #856 of 6,549
He was talking about pre-orders on the first page I truly hope he also meant discount for the early adopters.
wink.gif

Regardless of it, it's a very nice device that seems to be priced just right.

+1, M looks like a huge leap in the upgrade path, i want it and IF promotion discount i will jump on board instantly. please PM me when you see more on this. thx

Feb 9, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #857 of 6,549
April seems so far away... Really looking forward to reports on how it sounds with IEMs since that's what it's designed for.
All this talk of feeding it into a Hugo is just a waste of the M. I don't understand why you would even think about using the M in that fashion.

Feb 9, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #858 of 6,549
  April seems so far away... Really looking forward to reports on how it sounds with IEMs since that's what it's designed for.
All this talk of feeding it into a Hugo is just a waste of the M.  I don't understand why you would even think about using the M
in that fashion.

me neither

Feb 9, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #859 of 6,549
All this talk of feeding it into a Hugo is just a waste of the M. I don't understand why you would even think about using the M in that fashion.

So you can have a $3500 setup... I can understand a clean line out and wanting to pair it with a stronger amp but the Hugo pairing just seems like an unnecessary waste of a high end DAC made by a high end DAC maker.

Feb 9, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #860 of 6,549

So you can have a $3500 setup... I can understand a clean line out and wanting to pair it with a stronger amp but the Hugo pairing just seems like an unnecessary waste of a high end DAC made by a high end DAC maker.

It seems to me you are both agreeing on the same points, totally unnecessary to do that with the M.

Feb 9, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #861 of 6,549
I think most or some of us have the add on amp already. But to me not being bal is a bit of a let down. But now havering said that it doesn't matter if you are adding on an amp for headphone use. As the stock amp with drive some headphones anyway. But for me to use this in the office or away vaca. I would be using an add on amp . But while traveling around the streets of NYC it's the iem,s and they will be fine with the internal amp. So to me the whole line out feature is for people trying to get every drop of goodness out of it. If And when I buy this the line out or digital out doesnot matter much as long as it does have a line out of what every kind. I have never had the oppertinunty to do a side by side sample of the ak120 without the modded line out and with using an external amp. So I cannot say it's worth it if not. But I did add on some amps I have from the line out. And it did make positive improvement. One of the test s I did was with my senn he60 and the HEV60 amp. And it sounded really good and big improvement in the sound and it did show me just how good it sounded overall. But I sold my ak120 and kept the hdpr10. As it sounded even better and overall better stock with iem,s. So in the end the dap must sound good to begin with and then we can consider going on from there. Also the memory is no biggy for me either. The chips are cheap and we can load the various types we want to here. As for me having about 6 teribites of music in all formats it just mKes sense to me .

Al

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #863 of 6,549
I have remained respectfully quiet, this past few days, about my erstwhile wish that a D-O be included on the M, and I am not responding here out of any desire to ruffle anyone's feathers. But, by the same token, belittling this legitimate feature request also seems inappropriate, so a reasonable response to balance the discussion seems...well...reasonable.  What follows, therefore, isn't me 'hammering the issue'; it's just a reasonable response to those belittling the legitimacy of a D-O on the M.

The M is so much more than just a nice DAC implementation:

1. It is (following the decision to incorporate a fullsize SD slot) a serious contender as a high-capacity DAP / portable transport (448gb).
  2. It has an excellent UI, with proper support for tagging,   multiple dynamic playlist creation,  etc.

NO other DAP has yet successfully combined these features. The Calyx team are to be applauded for this accomplishment.

This is why, in addition to serving as an excellent standalone DAP, it has (or rather, had...) the potential to be a groundbreaking portable digital transport, too, with only the addition of a humble digital-out, present on devices ranging from the X5 to those directly in competition with the M. It's hardly an outlandish or disrespectful feature request. Even some extremely high-end CD players still offer a digital-out on the rear of the chassis (yes, I know Redbook is 16/44.1, vs the scenario of a 24/192 limitation in the face of DSD files, but the point still legitimately stands).

No one is suggesting to use the M only by bypassing its DAC. It could be wonderful used with CIEMs, in its own right, and then used, when not out walking/commuting, in an expanded set-up, via a Hugo, with cans or fullsize system.

If I bought an Apple Powerbook, with a retina screen, would it be 'disrespectful' to Apple, if I wanted to plug it into a 27" Cinema display and/or connect one or more 3 terrabyte HDDs to it? Would that somehow undermine the legitimacy of buying a Powerbook, with its beautifully-implemented retina screen and SSD, rather than a desktop Mac? Would I be 'wasting' the retina screen? How about adding an audiophile USB DAC-Amp? Is that disrespecting Apple or 'wasting' the internal soundcard?

No, because I like to use a Powerbook on its own, whilst travelling, and it performs that function fantastically-well and performs fantastically well, at home, when connected to a 27" screen, desktop HDDs, and USB DAC-Amp.

That's why a USB or thunderbolt port is a legitimate inclusion, even though a Powerbook is a great device when used solo. It's still a fantastic engineering accomplishment in its own right, with full respect to the team that created it, and consequently still deserves its asking price.

A co-ax Digital-Out port is very much an analagous thing on a DAP.

1. no perceived 'sleights' towards engineers
  2. no perceived 'illegitimacy' involved.
  3. no 'wasting' of well-implemented internal components

It's just a wonderful way to multiply the usefulness (and net value for money) of a device.

I can understand a clean line out and wanting to pair it with a stronger amp but the Hugo pairing just seems like an unnecessary waste of a high end DAC made by a high end DAC maker.

I was just laughing about how much it'd cost to pair the M and the Hugo. And no matter what you'd be wasting a perfectly good DAC.

With no disrespect to the ES90182m chip, or to the Calyx team's skilled implementation of it, the DAC in the Hugo is making waves, not just in portable terms, but even as a true reference in uber-high-end fullsize stationary hi-fi gear circles. It's not 'just a different flavour of DAC from the ES90182m'. It's an evolution in DAC performance, period.

There is a very reasonable application of a DAP like the M, to portably feed the Hugo, for those who listen not only with CIEMs (direct out of the M's no-doubt wonderful HO), but also with fullsize cans, and through their home hi-fi, or, frankly, in almost any situation one cares to mention.

Does that mean that the M is obligated to be made to cater for all usage scenarios? No, of course not, but it could cover many more bases better than any of its current competitors, to a degree where they'd be almost unable to compete (in fairness, it still will cover many bases better than any of its current competitors, but lack of a D-O will leave the door open for them to continue to compete). For those of us who have no interest in external DACs, the M will take 'Gold medal', but for those of us who have an eye on the Hugo (which looks set to sell in very substantial numbers), the M will maybe have to share the TOTL DAP podium with a competitor that does offer D-O. Certainly still on the podium, but not with a Gold medal.

So, we're not getting a D-O, and that's just the way it is, but it's not due to lack of legitimacy, even in the face of the 24/192 limitation.

Will the M still be a great DAP, worthy of its asking price - yes, I'm confident that it will be, and I'm also confident that it will sell rather well, just as it rightly deserves to, considering the innovation in creating such a well-rounded user-experience as this DAP looks set to offer its customers.

Again, the above discussion isn't in the spirit of 'forcing the issue' (I've already reluctantly given up on the hope of a D-O being included) - if you look back through the thread, you'll see I did as promised and dropped the issue, but for others to then belittle the issue... well...

I've truly dropped asking for the feature, but please drop bashing the legitimacy of the feature.

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #865 of 6,549
Is Calyx M 1 or 2 Sabre DAC? If u am not mistaken this is for the first time we have the portable 9018 Sabre version DAP?

1 x  ES90182M

iBasso DX90 will soon offer 2 x ES90182M, but the Calyx-M will still beat it in terms of overall user-experience.

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #868 of 6,549

The M is so much more than just a nice DAC implementation:

1. It is (following the decision to incorporate a fullsize SD slot) a serious contender as a high-capacity DAP / portable transport (448gb).
  2. It has an excellent UI, with proper support for tagging,   multiple dynamic playlist creation,  etc.

NO other DAP has yet successfully combined these features. The Calyx team are to be applauded for this accomplishment.

This is why, in addition to serving as an excellent standalone DAP, it has (or rather, had...) the potential to be a groundbreaking portable digital transport, too, with only the addition of a humble digital-out, present on devices ranging from the X5 to those directly in competition with the M. It's hardly an outlandish or disrespectful feature request. Even some extremely high-end CD players still offer a digital-out on the rear of the chassis.

No one is suggesting to use the M only by bypassing its DAC. It could be wonderful used with CIEMs, in its own right, and then used, when not out walking/commuting, in an expanded set-up, via a Hugo, with cans or fullsize system.

If I bought an Apple Powerbook, with a retina screen, would it be 'disrespectful' to Apple, if I wanted to plug it into a 27" Cinema display and/or connect one or more 3 terrabyte HDDs to it? Would that somehow undermine the legitimacy of buying a Powerbook, with its beautifully-implemented retina screen and SSD, rather than a desktop Mac? Would I be 'wasting' the retina screen? How about adding an audiophile USB DAC-Amp? Is that disrespecting Apple or 'wasting' the internal soundcard?

No, because I like to use a Powerbook on its own, whilst travelling, and it performs that function fantastically-well and performs fantastically well, at home, when connected to a 27" screen, desktop HDDs, and USB DAC-Amp.

That's why a USB or thunderbolt port is a legitimate inclusion, even though a Powerbook is a great device when used solo. It's still a fantastic engineering accomplishment in its own right, with full respect to the team that created it, and consequently still deserves its asking price.

A co-ax Digital-Out port is very much an analagous thing on a DAP.

1. no perceived 'sleights' towards engineers
  2. no perceived 'illegitimacy' involved.
  3. no 'wasting' of well-implemented internal components

It's just a wonderful way to multiply the usefulness (and net value for money) of a device.

With no disrespect to the ES90182m chip, or to the Calyx team's skilled implementation of it, the DAC in the Hugo is making waves, not just in portable terms, but even as a true reference in uber-high-end fullsize stationary hi-fi gear circles. It's not 'just a different flavour of DAC from the ES90182m'. It's an evolution in DAC performance, period.

There is a very reasonable application of a DAP like the M, to portably feed the Hugo, for those who listen not only with CIEMs (direct out of the M's no-doubt wonderful HO), but also with fullsize cans, and through their home hi-fi, or, frankly, in almost any situation one cares to mention.

Does that mean that the M is obligated to be made to cater for all usage scenarios? No, of course not, but it could cover many more bases better than any of its current competitors (and in fairness, it still will cover many bases better than any of its current competitors). For those of us who have no interest in external DACs, the M will take 'Gold medal', but for those of us who have an eye on the Hugo (which looks set to sell in very substantial numbers), the M will maybe have to share the TOTL DAP podium with a competitor that does offer D-O. Certainly still on the podium, but not with a Gold medal.

So, we're not getting a D-O, and that's just the way it is, but it's not due to lack of legitimacy, even in the face of the 24/192 limitation.

Will the M still be a great DAP, worthy of its asking price - yes, I'm confident that it will be, and I'm also confident that it will sell rather well, just as it rightly deserves to, considering the innovation in creating such a well-rounded user-experience as this DAP looks set to offer its customers.

Again, the above discussion isn't in the spirit of 'forcing the issue' (I've already reluctantly given up on the hope of a D-O being included) - if you look back through the thread, you'll see I did as promised and dropped the issue, but for others to then belittle the issue... well...

I've truly dropped asking for the feature, but please drop bashing the legitimacy of the feature.

There always going to be better toys out there, if not Hugo, it will be something else. Sure the Hugo has amazing specs but with it his amazing price. The Hugo as it stands right now, is expensive and unless you can spend a lot of money, would be better off waiting for the technology to be more affordable.

At this point in time it becomes an object of curiosity and envy like many expensive components at the bleeding edge of technology. As it currently stands, the ESS ES90182m chip is a top rated DAC in the ES9018 family that is affordable and can be massively manufactured. Now is the time to grab one of those and really enjoy SQ, that was Eric's message with the Calyx M.

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #869 of 6,549

As it currently stands, the ESS ES90182m chip is a top rated DAC in the ES9018 family that is affordable and can be massively manufactured. Now is the time to grab one of those and really enjoy SQ, that was Eric's message with the Calyx M.

I agree with that part of what you said.

And the Calyx-M itself is a real honey of a DAP, no doubt about that; a beautiful engineering accomplishment which deserves to (and I'm certain will) be successful.

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #870 of 6,549
Mython, Calyx is high end maker, not Apple or AK, and they have a good point, many who will buy M may also have great front ends which will beat any DAP and even much advertised Hugo will pale in comparison.

for me personally I need a DAP which i can take with me when not at home and which can give me sound closer to my front end, but...when i am at home and can use front end i will never look for DAP unless the whole house sleeps.

i personally could not care less about M having pure digital out or better say dedicated digital out because for me M is all about having single portable device which can sound magic without amping and else...if i want use my front end i better use my lovely setup, native DSD in Oppo 95 and Audirvanna Pro via Mac server and Ap/PP combo and some excellent DAC. so tell me why i would want to compromise sound quality by using DAP? if i want that smth higher i just buy Femto or something better and basta :p

so i am all for Calyx if heir M will sound as good as i expect it to sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back