$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Feb 7, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #826 of 6,550
I honestly think Vinnie does a great job, but I just wish all these 1k+ DAP can be used without MODs.

Well it's already been said but.... they can. The manufacturer is building them for an intended purpose. All this talk about digital outs etc is coming from those who want to change or extend it's intended usage. Nothing wrong with having those wants or even needs, but that is a different product. It's a portable digital music player. Not intended as part of a home rig or desk top set up. Judge it based on it's intended purpose, not on what you wish it would be.

Anyway, i just hope it sounds superb when used as a transportable player with IEMs... That's all.

Feb 8, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #827 of 6,550
  Anyway, i just hope it sounds superb when used as a transportable player with IEMs... That's all.

Exactly. x101.

As someone who exclusively carried around stacks for the last few years, I cannot tell you how liberating it has been to start using the Fiio X5 all on its lonesome with IEMs. It is nothing short of a revelation.

The X5 has set a high bar for Calyx and I do not doubt that the M will be up to the challenge and plenty more soundwise. The M:use interface has me especially excited.

Feb 8, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #828 of 6,550
Exactly. x101.

As someone who exclusively carried around stacks for the last few years, I cannot tell you how liberating it has been to start using the Fiio X5 all on its lonesome with IEMs. It is nothing short of a revelation.

The X5 has set a high bar for Calyx and I do not doubt that the M will be up to the challenge and plenty more soundwise. The M:use interface has me especially excited.

I agree, now that they have address the main hardware shortcomings from the initial announce which I consider a deal breaker (OI ans storage on top of my list), the M's interface really is getting me more excited. For me, it's 2 horse race between M and DX90. I am a bit more biased towards the M because of the UI. Sorry the X5 does not appeal to me. At least for now since I have not heard it yet.

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #829 of 6,550
One idea with those DAP will be to add under a proprietary connector, that will allow to buy extra modules that will fix (click) under the DAP, WITHOUT external cables needed,  for exemple :

- a "High-End  Line-Out and/or Digital out Module (Coax + Tosh-link)"
- a "balanced AMP module (1/4" + XLR)"
- a "big battery module"
- a "1/2 Tb SSD storage module"
- a " Wifi module

.... making the DAP stackable and expandable . This will be a UNIQUE proposition in the DAP market WITHOUT raising the price of the DAP itself....while creating extra revenues for the manufacturer

Feb 8, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #832 of 6,550
I wish they kept the WiFi feature.
Have you seen how nice AK240 streams music? I don't want line out but I want WiFi.

you know hard core audiophile world is very conservative and many of us still believe that streaming music wireless is less good than using old hard wiring method. Calyx on its part is true high end maker and they are aware of this fact that hard core audiophiles can live without wireless but less so without some other important feats :)

Feb 8, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #833 of 6,550
I wish they kept the WiFi feature.
Have you seen how nice AK240 streams music? I don't want line out but I want WiFi.

I do hear you, but I feel strongly that it was a good decision to massively increase memory expansion at the cost of Wi-Fi. Lack of Wi-fi is not my strongest concern with the Calyx-M, but you already know that.

As for Wi-Fi; well, it is a nice bonus, I agree, but large memory expansion is (IMO) essential for a Hi-Res device.

Therefore, it was a worthwhile compromise.

Feb 8, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #834 of 6,550

I do hear you, but I feel strongly that it was a good decision to massively increase memory expansion at the cost of Wi-Fi. Lack of Wi-fi is not my strongest concern with the Calyx-M, but you already know that.

As for Wi-Fi; well, it is a nice bonus, I agree, but large memory expansion is (IMO) essential for a Hi-Res device.

quite agree, predictably, 

remind me when this is due out...

Feb 8, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #835 of 6,550

+1, and also normally wifi streaming might also be limiting on resolution, at least for 24/192 files

Feb 8, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #836 of 6,550
Apologies if I've missed it posted already, but is there a current release date penciled in for this? Very interested :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Feb 8, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #837 of 6,550
Apologies if I've missed it posted already, but is there a current release date penciled in for this? Very interested
smily_headphones1.gif

April 'pencilled-in', at the moment.

Feb 8, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #838 of 6,550
If you will be stuck on an island or go for a vacation on a remote place you will miss huge storage more than the absence of wifi.

I currently am on a remote place, no wifi, spotty 3G connection on my phone. I can't do the normal stuff I do online. (Can read and reply to forums in pure text).

But I am relaxing and enjoying myself having my entire music library on a 128GB SD card using a DX50 my portable amps and JH16.

I'm pretty sure my music collection will grow since I am buying several hometown artists CDs and will rip it to ALAC.

I will definitely welcome a DAP with better SQ, huge storage, no amping required for ciems and a better UI than I have.

Anything less than that is a shame, anything more than that is a bonus.

Feb 8, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #839 of 6,550
If you will be stuck on an island or go for a vacation on a remote place you will miss huge storage more than the absence of wifi.

I currently am on a remote place, no wifi, spotty 3G connection on my phone. I can't do the normal stuff I do online. (Can read and reply to forums in pure text).

But I am relaxing and enjoying myself having my entire music library on a 128GB SD card using a DX50 my portable amps and JH16.

I'm pretty sure my music collection will grow since I am buying several hometown artists CDs and will rip it to ALAC.

I will definitely welcome a DAP with better SQ, huge storage, no amping required for ciems and a better UI than I have.

Anything less than that is a shame, anything more than that is a bonus.

+1 wise decision, space is at a premium, there are loads of wifi solutions and this one will be better in one's pocket than sitting on a desk capturing wifi streaming, it's truly overrated. :wink:

It also will be providing USB dac function, one of my favorite functions, it's gonna be delicious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back