$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Dec 14, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #166 of 6,549

Not entirely true, you only get an extra 64GB. You still have to buy 2 extra 64GB microSD to get to the full 256GG capacity. So at least $150 accounts for the shell. The current AK120 can already go up to 192GB. So the price difference is really hard to swallow. I color of the Titan does not appeal to me as well.
confused_face(1).gif

Correction: Sorry meant total memory including the 2 sd card readers

The Astell & Kern AK120 has earned rave reviews for its incredible sound quality and gorgeous design. Now, the limited edition AK120 Titan improves on the original design with a scratch-resistant anodized coating over the brushed aluminum case for an even higher level of elegance. Plus, the Titan doubles the original AK120's memory from 64GB to a whopping 128GB of storage. With room for two 64GB memory cards, this player's maximum capacity expands to 256GB — that's plenty of room for a sizable collection of high-res files.

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #167 of 6,549
AK120 for that price is quite tempting, but since i have the AK100mk2 now... i'll probably only consider the Calyx M as a possible future upgrade. But the size proportion is quite awkward though
141.5 X 70.8 X 14 mm = 14cm long and 7cm wide? That's huge and doesn't look at all like the generated pictures..

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #168 of 6,549
  Correction: Sorry meant total memory including the 2 sd card readers

The Astell & Kern AK120 has earned rave reviews for its incredible sound quality and gorgeous design. Now, the limited edition AK120 Titan improves on the original design with a scratch-resistant anodized coating over the brushed aluminum case for an even higher level of elegance. Plus, the Titan doubles the original AK120's memory from 64GB to a whopping 128GB of storage. With room for two 64GB memory cards, this player's maximum capacity expands to 256GB — that's plenty of room for a sizable collection of high-res files.

Well for people using cans or high impedance IEM the discounted AK120 is a good buy at Mook. For those thinking of using an external amp, you might want to consider the lack of true line out.

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #169 of 6,549
  AK120 for that price is quite tempting, but since i have the AK100mk2 now... i'll probably only consider the Calyx M as a possible future upgrade. But the size proportion is quite awkward though
141.5 X 70.8 X 14 mm = 14cm long and 7cm wide? That's huge and doesn't look at all like the generated pictures..

Let's see how it will turn out but the dimension really is not at the top of my list. As long as it's not DX100 or HM-901 size.

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #170 of 6,549

That's what I am waiting for. I need a portable player similar to my trusted apple iPhone but with hi-res capability for on the road. I already have a player for work. To me it would have to be similar to the iPhone in term of features but without the video stuff, I need the emphasis on the music SQ which has to be beyond Apple products which shouldn't be a problem. The price is a little sticky now but I can get warm up to it if it has enough appeal and features that I don't mind paying the price. So let's see what Calyx comes up with.

Dec 14, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #171 of 6,549
That's what I am waiting for. I need a portable player similar to my trusted apple iPhone but with hi-res capability for on the road. I already have a player for work. To me it would have to be similar to the iPhone in term of features but without the video stuff, I need the emphasis on the music SQ which has to be beyond Apple products which shouldn't be a problem. The price is a little sticky now but I can get warm up to it if it has enough appeal and features that I don't mind paying the price. So let's see what Calyx comes up with.
Let's see how it will turn out but the dimension really is not at the top of my list. As long as it's not DX100 or HM-901 size.

Considering I'm already using galaxy note 2, I'm not that keen in keeping another big ass device in my pocket.. The calyx will be exactly 1 cm shorter and 1 cm narrower than the note 2.

Dec 14, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #172 of 6,549

Just hope Calyx is reading online foruns like this and listens to our request.
popcorn.gif

Dec 14, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #173 of 6,549
Considering I'm already using galaxy note 2, I'm not that keen in keeping another big ass device in my pocket.. The calyx will be exactly 1 cm shorter and 1 cm narrower than the note 2.

Got you there, my hope is about the same size than the new iPhone but that might be asking for a lot, I checked the Galaxy Note 2 and the reduction you described would be Ok with me. Even the ZX1 is a tad too big and its big ass bottom that has not help too much. Somehow I still have issues with odd shaped players. I would have to completely be blown away with its performance for me to forget how it looks like because every time I would get it out of its holster its funny shape would be starring at me in the face.
frown.gif

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #175 of 6,549
  Only 3 weeks to go till info on the M! If they announce it as being released at end of 2014 or even mid year, then I am just going to get the Sony ZX1 as I can't wait that long!

Or.. may be the successor to the AK100/AK120 :)

Indeed, in the mook headphone festival report I can read:

" Iriver was secretly showing off a new prototype with full touch screen faceplate (instead of half a faceplate like AK100 / AK120) to only a few people"

So... it may be not that far away ! 

Dec 16, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #178 of 6,549
Touchscreen, schmuchscreen. Without physical buttons, it's a bust. Anyone disagree??

No physical controls = useless in the pocket = NO SALES !!

Dec 16, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #179 of 6,549
I am giddy! Ido hope they don't stop in here and take too much of whats being asked. You guys are interested in another one-trick-pony audio player when they've already projected this to be an actuall all rounder. (Especially a certain last few commenters) I hope they pull through an show Sony up at their own game since they insist on making devices that are ment to be dropped by the iteration.

And I shall finally have my perfect PMP. Mwahahhaaahaahahhhaa! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #180 of 6,549
  I am giddy! Ido hope they don't stop in here and take too much of whats being asked. You guys are interested in another one-trick-pony audio player when they've already projected this to be an actuall all rounder. (Especially a certain last few commenters) I hope they pull through an show Sony up at their own game since they insist on making devices that are ment to be dropped by the iteration.

And I shall finally have my perfect PMP. Mwahahhaaahaahahhhaa! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

We are all hoping for the same thing. After looking at different DAPs this is the only option I can think of having other than my DX50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back