$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Dec 13, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #151 of 6,549
Maybe but right now they are making only Monopoly money, no devices to see nothing material to feel. When they come out with the final viable specs then we can all drool over it, until then it's only going to be something out of their imagination (mean beta unit).

Dec 13, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #152 of 6,549
Music, do not worry, Calyx is making real cash with their superb DAC and amps, this is truly high end company, not ak or ibasso so i hold high expectations for their DAP :wink:

Dec 13, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #154 of 6,549
Music, do not worry, Calyx is making real cash with their superb DAC and amps, this is truly high end company, not ak or ibasso so i hold high expectations for their DAP
wink.gif

actually AK or so call iriver have been in this DAP for a long time

Calyx is the 1st time on DAP

so both have their expertise area

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #155 of 6,549

actually AK or so call iriver have been in this DAP for a long time

Calyx is the 1st time on DAP

so both have their expertise area

Yeah I agree Calyx maybe a veteran on DAC/Amps. But A DAP is completely different. I' m sure Calyx won't have to deal with space/power constraints of a DAP compared to their current DAC/Amps.

Not to mention the GUI. So, while I'm looking forward for a new player in DAP market especially for a company with good DAC/Amp product reputation I am not holding my breath. I can wait until the coast is clear and Calyx M is really worth having as a high-end DAP.

With AK1xx and DXxxx in the market now it is really difficult to attract new customers. They will have to do it right spec-wise and price-wise. In short they have to match or surpass AK120 in spec and  offer it at low enough in price near DX50. $999 is still more than 3 times the price of DX50.

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #156 of 6,549
Yeah I agree Calyx maybe a veteran on DAC/Amps. But A DAP is completely different. I sure Calyx won't have to deal with space/power constraints of a DAP compared to their current DAC/Amps.

Not to mention the GUI. So, while I'm looking forward for a new player in DAP market especially for a company with good DAC/Amp product reputation I am not holding my breath. I can wait until the coast is clear and Calyx M is really worth having as a high-end DAP.

With AK1xx and DXxxx in the market now it is really difficult to attract new customers. They will have to do it right spec-wise and price-wise. In short they have to match or surpass AK120 in spec and  offer it at low enough in price near DX50. $999 is still more than 3 times the price of DX50.

Entirely agree with you the competition from now on is going to be fierce, they'll either have to beat the AK120 spec wise or drop the price tremendously to compete with the DX50. If they want to maintain the price, the specs will be beefed up else we can go somewhere else, even the ZX1 sounds better at it's price point.

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #157 of 6,549
Now I'm counting on Calyx-M to deliver all the spec where it matters for portable hifi DAP.

After trying out the AK120 earlier in the Mook Festival here in SG. I was disappointed how it sounded on my JH16PRO. The HO at 3-ohms really does something fuzzy with the bass response.

Ok I have a C5D and UHA-4 with me, alas there is no true line out. The HO though sounded better with an amp makes the sound a bit grainy on C5D and harsh on UHA-4. I was excited when I learn the AK120 is on sale during the event. The output impedance and the lack of true LO really killed it for me. It felt like somebody poured a very cold water over my head. Well, at least my wallet scored a victory over me today.

The optical line out for me doesn't make sense in AK120. Why bother designing a kickass DAC then bypass it at all. A true line out should have been implemented instead of the optical out. It's just a head scratcher for me.

The form factor, design and the UI wowed me. It really feels good in my hands.

Hopefully the Calyx-M doesn't disappoint.

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #158 of 6,549
  Now I'm counting on Calyx-M to deliver all the spec where it matters for portable hifi DAP.

After trying out the AK120 earlier in the Mook Festival here in SG. I was disappointed how it sounded on my JH16PRO. The HO at 3-ohms really does something fuzzy with the bass response.

Ok I have a C5D and UHA-4 with me, alas there is no true line out. The HO though sounded better with an amp makes the sound a bit grainy on C5D and harsh on UHA-4. I was excited when I learn the AK120 is on sale during the event. The output impedance and the lack of true LO really killed it for me. It felt like somebody poured a very cold water over my head. Well, at least my wallet scored a victory over me today.

The optical line out for me doesn't make sense in AK120. Why bother designing a kickass DAC then bypass it at all. A true line out should have been implemented instead of the optical out. It's just a head scratcher for me.

The form factor, design and the UI wowed me. It really feels good in my hands.

Hopefully the Calyx-M doesn't disappoint.

How much was the sale on AK120 in Mook?

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #160 of 6,549

Around S$1349 which is around 1050 USD.

That is quite a good price... if i knew i might have held back on the AK100mk2 which i bought few days ago =.=
how much was the AK100 in Mook?

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #162 of 6,549

AK100mk2 is 799 SGD. They don't have the vanilla AK100 (thank God). The Titan is selling at 1699 SGD.

Damn... i should have just went to SG and buy from there =.=
Never knew there was a vanilla colour lol

I prefer the normal black brushed design compared to the Titan though, but scratch resistance is useful on a device this sexy =P

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #163 of 6,549

Damn... i should have just went to SG and buy from there =.=
Never knew there was a vanilla colour lol

I prefer the normal black brushed design compared to the Titan though, but scratch resistance is useful on a device this sexy =P

I am referring to the normal AK100 when I mentioned vanilla. I don't like the color of Titan as well. Brushed aluminum still better. That is why I was targeting the normal AK120. I would have gotten it if there is a true line out. My main IEMs I used are all < 24 Ohms. I just can't  find any reason now to get it lol
deadhorse.gif

I think we are getting way off topic now.
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #164 of 6,549

AK100mk2 is 799 SGD. They don't have the vanilla AK100 (thank God). The Titan is selling at 1699 SGD.

Well the 256G memory is one of the main reasons, you pay a premium of about 200$ extra for that additional memory. The player body is truly secondary and now they offer the stand for supposedly free so here is a bonus, not enough to cover the huge amount of money being asked for the player.

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #165 of 6,549
  Well the 256G memory is one of the main reasons, you pay a premium of about 200$ extra for that additional memory. The player body is truly secondary and now they offer the stand for supposedly free so here is a bonus, not enough to cover the huge amount of money being asked for the player.

Not entirely true, you only get an extra 64GB. You still have to buy 2 extra 64GB microSD to get to the full 256GG capacity. So at least $150 accounts for the shell. The current AK120 can already go up to 192GB. So the price difference is really hard to swallow. I color of the Titan does not appeal to me as well.
confused_face(1).gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back