$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Dec 18, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #182 of 6,549
This one isn't high-end, but it does (allegedly) use a Sabre DAC (not yet clear which one):

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/695771

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #183 of 6,549
  This one isn't high-end, but it does (allegedly) use a Sabre DAC (not yet clear which one):

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/695771

Some leaked specs on that Vivo Xplay 3S are a TI OPA2604 amp and ESS Technology ES9018 DAC.

So its looking really great for a phone, I will most likely buy this one so I can just have one device for all Phone+DAP+PMP+Tablet

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #184 of 6,549

Some leaked specs on that Vivo Xplay 3S are a TI OPA2604 amp and ESS Technology ES9018 DAC.

Yes, but it's not clear if that's the mobile DAC chip ES9018-2m or the desktop chip.

It has been mentioned that the ES9018-2m is of a noticeably lower spec than the desktop ES9018, but I'm confident it'll still sound pretty decent.

Chances of the ES9018-2m being the one in the Vivo Xplay 3S?  Pretty high, I reckon
smile.gif

Of greater relevance/concern, however, is the fact that I can't find anywhere that says anything about a memory card slot on this device, and bear in mind that it only has 32gb onboard memory, so if there's no card slot, you may as well forget about it, on the DAP side of things.

Dec 20, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #185 of 6,549

Yes, but it's not clear if that's the mobile DAC chip ES9018-2m or the desktop chip.

It has been mentioned that the ES9018-2m is of a noticeably lower spec than the desktop ES9018, but I'm confident it'll still sound pretty decent.

Chances of the ES9018-2m being the one in the Vivo Xplay 3S?  Pretty high, I reckon
smile.gif

Of greater relevance/concern, however, is the fact that I can't find anywhere that says anything about a memory card slot on this device, and bear in mind that it only has 32gb onboard memory, so if there's no card slot, you may as well forget about it, on the DAP side of things.

Yes it will of course be the mobile variant, and I'm glad of it, the desktop variant is a power hog and battery life would not have been acceptable. I'm sure the mobile ESS chip will still be a force to be reckoned with. As for storage, it is looking like there is no Micro SD, but I have read OTG storage is an option, so it is still viable as a good all in one device.

Dec 26, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #186 of 6,549
Published on CALYX's FaceBook today : " New and official website of Calyx M will be open next week" . :)

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #188 of 6,549
  Published on CALYX's FaceBook today : " New and official website of Calyx M will be open next week" . :)

Thanks for the update and I will, obviously(!), be taking a look at that when it goes online, but I'm still skeptical about whether the Calyx DAP is vapourware or not.

A website does not = a DAP.

IF the Calyx DAP actually becomes a reality in the DAP marketplace, I'll be expecting it (considering the reputation of the company) to sound at least as transparent and with excellent imaging, as the DX100/HM-901.

My 2 biggest concerns (other than vapourware) are:

1) Will it have PROPER buttons to control basic playback and volume?

2) Will it have a decent amp section? Buy which, I mean A) low output impedance, + B) decent power output

I don't expect the same power output as the DX100/HM-901, but I do expect it to be substantially more than the latest high end DAP from Japan.

Whatever happens, my wallet is probably going to open for Fiio's soon-to-be-released X5, but at the higher-end of things, Calyx could have a damp squib or, just maybe, a giant-killer on their hands...

I bet Fiio (X7) and iRiver (AK 140) are both watching Calyx v-e-e-e-e-ry closely at the moment! 
wink_face.gif

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #190 of 6,549
  Yeah, especially interested about power output. While it is thin, the actual amount of volume it takes up is fairly large.

I totally agree. It's not an easy one to call, is it?

Could go either way.

I don't expect it to drive really thirsty cans, but I'd really like to see it be a minimum of 40mw+40mw into 16 Ω, with an output impedance of no greater than 2 Ω.

Here's hoping....
beerchug.gif

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #191 of 6,549

Could go either way.

I don't expect it to drive really thirsty cans, but I'd really like to see it be a minimum of 40mw+40mw into 16 Ω, with an output impedance of no greater than 2 Ω.

Here's hoping....
beerchug.gif

I'm hoping the same after passing off AK120 due to these reasons. I'm hoping to finally see a perfect portable DAP. Pocketable, doesn't need an extra amp to achieve max SQ and works well on high-end, low impedance phones.

Dec 27, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #194 of 6,549
3 o

Could go either way.

Here's hoping.... :beerchug:  

3 Ohm they said :frowning2:

Dec 27, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #195 of 6,549
What is wrong with that dap producers? They just can't apply a basic rule can they? AK goes for 3 ohm too, now Calyx. I am all fine with it actually, there are companies like FiiO anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back