$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Mar 4, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #1,576 of 6,550
  So where do you check to see the final arrangement of the M? Input, output, type of input and cards etc. I was following all this for a while but then I read a of the back and forth on what it would offer and not offer. No wifi, fine with me. No digital out? or Line out? Trying find all the finalized options of the M.

http://www.calyx.kr/

They have the finalized specs on the site.

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #1,577 of 6,550
It has Spanich language support.

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #1,579 of 6,550
I agree with that, although its not being released so soon, so why not get something for the interim.

No! Don't get the HM901 "for the interim" coz the "interim" would than become not so interim and you would find yourself the subject of the weirdest stares when seen with it even by your geekiest friend. Honestly the bulk doesn't bothered me as much as how 80's it looks.

experienced-fj-meme-meme-generator-im-a-geek-stop-staring-0b0b57.jpg

For a quick fix the X5 seems a much better bet.

Can I ask you in what way did the 120 fail big time?

(Thinking of making a large purchase, as they have come down to $999)

I consider AK120's SQ on similar level as X3/DX50. Maybe slightly better, but still behind X5. I fully expect Calyx M to sound better than AK120.

Hum ok...pros and cons on this preorder decision.

Pros:
  • Looks nice, portable
  • Should sound nice (but not guarantee it will compete with 901)
  • Huge capacity
  • Great UI
  • There is a preorder price
  • It the latest thing and I always need the latest thing
  • I like Korean food

where is kimvictor or any resident headfiers with access to Korea to bring us more intel on the SQ!! The suspense is killing me... need.. more.. Korean food! :D

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #1,582 of 6,550

Yes, and it's priced at 2.5 - 3 times as much as the Calyx-M, does not sound significantly superior to DX100/HM-901, and may not sound significantly superior to the Calyx-M, either.

So why spend 2.5 - 3 times as much on it?

Hi Mython,

you've obviously been here a long while, and so I will show some respect. However you do seem to have a bee in your bonnet about Astell&Kern :) The vast majority of people who have listened to the AK240 have been completely blown away by it. Some people including the reviewers on the review thread even get pretty excited by it - something you seemed to find inappropriate, even though this is a community of people who are excited by HiFi.

So, the AK240 is a piece of high-end HiFi. It exists, people have it in their hands and those that have it, love it. Thats great, and the fact that it is very expensive is neither here nor there - we're talking about HiFi :) It is an incredible piece of kit and A&K should be saluted for pushing things forward in this way. Others will play catch up and the whole portable HiFi market will be enriched by it.

On the other hand the Calyx M is not available yet and so when it comes down to what really matters, SQ, we are still in the dark! A few people who have tried it briefly say it sounds great - which is awesome - but who knows?

Competition is good.

Have you  yourself listened to an AK240?

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #1,583 of 6,550

Yes, I really wish it (and the DX100/HDP-R10, HM-802) weren't the little monsters that they are, but they're still great for those who don't rely on pockets to carry their DAP hardware
biggrin.gif

...I just happen to be one of the DAP-users who does rely on pockets, so...
rolleyes.gif

Well I do routinely carry my HM901 in my pants pocket. Having said that I would love die for a package with the same SQ in a small package (well my wallet did died for the AK)...

Having spent more $$$ on DAPs that I will ever confess to the Mrs, I firmly believe power supply, and hence size and heat, are necessarily evils for SQ. Dx100 (and to some extend C4) was a breakthrough in that size:SQ ratio, now AK240 seems to be another big step (while AK120 failed big time). Been hoping M would be another step.

I am really curious of M's SQ at such a nice size. I managed to demo a couple Chinese android phone with the 9018k2m DAC trying to get some idea of this chip but they sounded no better than my Note 3 imo. Only takeaway is that implementation and amp stage is equally if not more important than the chip.

Without much way to anticipate/predict its sound, the M's $850 price really made this a much much tougher decision than if it would be $650.... especially with the $350 X5 that I demo'ed, is nicely built, and sounded excellent for its size/price.

Also, if the pre-order fulfillment is prioritized for local Korean market as the price is, I suspect we may receive the DX90 with dual ess9018k2m before the M.

Decisions decision....

Sorry for the incoherent babbling... I guess I've been trying to convince myself why the pre-order is a good idea after tracking this for so long... first world problem I guess!

Hey kkcc, Having demoed the X5 - can you give me an idea of how much sound quality I would be missing out on if I settled on the cheaper X5 vs. the balanced 901 or the AK240? What do you think the X5 is lacking in comparison?

Mar 5, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #1,584 of 6,550
Hi Mython,

you've obviously been here a long while, and so I will show some respect. However you do seem to have a bee in your bonnet about Astell&Kern :) The vast majority of people who have listened to the AK240 have been completely blown away by it. Some people including the reviewers on the review thread even get pretty excited by it - something you seemed to find inappropriate, even though this is a community of people who are excited by HiFi.

So, the AK240 is a piece of high-end HiFi. It exists, people have it in their hands and those that have it, love it. Thats great, and the fact that it is very expensive is neither here nor there - we're talking about HiFi :) It is an incredible piece of kit and A&K should be saluted for pushing things forward in this way. Others will play catch up and the whole portable HiFi market will be enriched by it.

On the other hand the Calyx M is not available yet and so when it comes down to what really matters, SQ, we are still in the dark! A few people who have tried it briefly say it sounds great - which is awesome - but who knows?

Competition is good.

Have you  yourself listened to an AK240?

iRiver has shown what they think of the consumer. They deserve a salute alright.

Mar 5, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #1,586 of 6,550
Mar 5, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #1,587 of 6,550
Oh Dear.... Please keep it away from here... 

Lets keep this about Calyx M speculation only.  Please.

Mar 5, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #1,588 of 6,550
I think he meant middle finger salute lol
tongue.gif

Examples please

Oh Dear.... Please keep it away from here... 

Lets keep this about Calyx M speculation only.  Please.

I thought my post was quite relevant, since on the one hand a competitors extant device with amazing sound quality was being slated for being too expensive, and an, as yet, unavailable device (the Calyx M) is being lauded for as yet untested sound quality. 

'Speculation' is exactly the right word.

Mar 5, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #1,589 of 6,550
Wow...

FWIW I bought the AK240 at full MSRP from pretty much week 1. I absolutely love it and BELIEVE it is the overall best DAP currently on the market. But no, it's SQ don't "blow me away". It is not even materially better than the HM901. I can only say they are on par. The aesthetics, feature set, materials, built and finishing etc tho DID made a very strong impression.

Having said that, even as a happy owner, I have no issue agreeing that AK240 has very low pure SQ:price performance - exactly just half of what HM901 offers. As much as I m loving the AK240, I still hope Calyx M ended up to be equally exquisitely built and sound good enough to be a cheaper alternative.

IMHO, price, more so than SQ, is highly subjective and I really see no point criticizing others opinion on whether something is overpriced or not. And this has nothing to do with how good or how expensive other products are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back