Jul 26, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #437 of 483
I thought it sounded dreadful with the IFI power supply. It’s night and day if you put it onto a good PS like the Uptone.

Oddly enough, I took two relatively inexpensive components and put them together into a very good sounding streaming DAC system through the power of Roon:

1. Took already-owned Bluesound Node 2 and used Stealth Audio Swift power cable with Shunyata IEC C7 adapter
2. Bought 0.75m AQ Forest RCA-style COAX cable to go with 24/192 PCM COAX out of Node 2
3. Ran Forest into COAX input of already-owned Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 with its own little linear PSU
4. Used Roon to downsample music on my NAS when necessary (176.4-->88.2, DSD-->PCM)
5. Used already-owned Audio Note AN-Vx interconnect cables into already-owned Woo Audio WA6-SE with NOS tubes

... and so on.

The result is really remarkable, quite close to my former Aurender N100H --> Stealth USB Cable --> Ayre QB-9 DSD but warmer and with the power of Roon.

So I guess any Rendu is off the table for now.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #442 of 483
I think you missed earlier comments of mine germane to this in the context of the microRendu.

Thanks, I've read all of the posts in this thread since it's inception, I don't think I've missed anything.

Your posts were fine until the recent #437, which I quoted the very beginning of in my previous, but my point being ever reinforced by the ending of #437:
So I guess any Rendu is off the table for now.

I'm happy you've repurposed the Bluesound unit and recycled a DacMagic too, but it's now veered off-topic and as the thread starter I request you either find a Bluesound thread, or continue this in a Roon thread, or start an entirely new thread of some sort as by your own assertion there are no microRendu impressions forthcoming.

Jul 27, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #443 of 483
Thanks, I've read all of the posts in this thread since it's inception, I don't think I've missed anything.

Your posts were fine until the recent #437, which I quoted the very beginning of in my previous, but my point being ever reinforced by the ending of #437:

I'm happy you've repurposed the Bluesound unit and recycled a DacMagic too, but it's now veered off-topic and as the thread starter I request you either find a Bluesound thread, or continue this in a Roon thread, or start an entirely new thread of some sort as by your own assertion there are no microRendu impressions forthcoming.

Regardless of who starts a thread, it will eventually go off topic for at least a little, often bringing some really interesting information into the process. I didn't want to say anything because I like the folks who make the microRendu and the UpTone LPS 1.2; but since you insist, I should say that--having tried a microRendu with an LPS-1.2 and an Oyaide DC-2.1G Canare-4S6 DC cable in place of the N100H--with all other parts of the system being equal including the RJ/E cable (an AudioQuest Vodka) with the same headphone amp and headphones and, in both cases, using Roon just to keep things fair, the Node 2 / DacMagic 100 sounded much more musical and closer to my own personal reference of the N100H / WDS-1 combination. So, yes, the LPS-1.2 makes the ultraRendu sound much better than the iFi, but not as much as Roon does given a controlled albeit subjective evaluation, thus the Node 2 and DacMagic 100 outperforms the ultraRendu / LPS-1.2 all other things being genuinely equal. Perhaps if Bluesound supported USB sound output, I would have found different results given the WDS-1, but they don't.

Jul 27, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #444 of 483
but since you insist

I did not insist, I requested you take discussion of Bluesound, Aurender etc... to an appropriate thread.

I stand by that, and add that we'd have never known about your microRendu trial at all until your very last post, prior to this your post #431 was asking out loud about micro/ultraRendu combos and gave no indication whatsoever that you'd actually already hands-on tested either one.

Perhaps if Bluesound supported USB sound output, I would have found different results given the WDS-1, but they don't.

Agreed.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #445 of 483

I would have to agree with you. Roon and Bluesound are different product categories and unless they are being discussed after extensive direct comparisons, or even possibly, BRIEFLY in the context of comparing features and design, they should not be talked about here.

Jul 27, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #446 of 483
I would have to agree with you. Roon and Bluesound are different product categories and unless they are being discussed after extensive direct comparisons, or even possibly, BRIEFLY in the context of comparing features and design, they should not be talked about here.

I didn't say anything at all other than an in-context brief comment, then expanded it to show how it **was in context**. Is that not in the spirit of what you said, and why are these comments not going on a meta-post or a PM to me, because they don't have anything directly to do with the SQ of a microRendu at all?

Jul 27, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #447 of 483
I didn't say anything at all other than an in-context brief comment, then expanded it to show how it **was in context**. Is that not in the spirit of what you said, and why are these comments not going on a meta-post or a PM to me, because they don't have anything directly to do with the SQ of a microRendu at all?
I was simply agreeing with the thread starter that these other products have dedicated threads...no different than if someone posted on various Audio Note threads on various forums
about Audio Research, Conrad Johnson, Shindo, etc..

Aug 21, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #448 of 483
does anyone have a MR that they're using with the kef ls50 wireless speakers?
i know these speakers are now Roon ready, thus negating the need for an MR.
but one gent on the Roon community forums felt adding the MR added a bit more depth/detail
than the Roon app alone..
...also wondering how you'd network it to such speakers with usb out...but how you'd hook it up.

i do have the lps ultracaps power supply and cardas cable with updated MR 1.4.
so am unsure if to keep or sell it all (i seldom listen to cans nowadaysm which is why i'd bought
these products.

Sep 16, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #449 of 483
well am selling my mr (upgrdaded 1.4) gear, curious cable, dc 4 cable etc.
decided i want 'less is more' approach, so will just stick with the Roon app in my Kef LS 50 speakers.

Oct 9, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #450 of 483
does anyone have a MR that they're using with the kef ls50 wireless speakers?
i know these speakers are now Roon ready, thus negating the need for an MR.
but one gent on the Roon community forums felt adding the MR added a bit more depth/detail
than the Roon app alone..
...also wondering how you'd network it to such speakers with usb out...but how you'd hook it up.

i do have the lps ultracaps power supply and cardas cable with updated MR 1.4.
so am unsure if to keep or sell it all (i seldom listen to cans nowadaysm which is why i'd bought
these products.

I would personally find this a MOST helpful discussion too, since I am in this exact same dilemma.

I too have a LS50W, with a separate PC operating offsite working as a dedicated roon core. However, I am wondering if running it as per

79f16b41c8de3c15edcc35087798a632356765c6.png

or running a
1) microrendu/sotm200 neo as a roon endpoint feeding into a
2) ifi microusb3.0 feeding into a
3) usb input into the LS50W

would result in better separation. I recognise that room acoustics does play a large part, but the wife has a strong say in the house deco so......you get my point.

*Note, screenshot above was taken from another site to illustrate the connection path. My audio is stored on a NAS, from which the roon core reads off*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back