$8 Headphones strongly resemble Audio Technicas(PAINTED MY GRILLS BLACK!)
Jul 25, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #302 of 345
Guess I'll now b going to a couple Big Lots over the next couple days! I'm in Appalachia so there are TONS of them
wink.gif

Jul 25, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #303 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by myn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently these are distributed through "Loblaws" which is a Canadian grocery store.

Looking at the back of the package it states it's a product of China but the distribution info lists a Canadian addresses. Another sign this is Canadian is that there is both French and English on the package which is the law in Canada.

You Canadian Headies should check out your local Loblaws and see if they are available.

I'll check out my local Loblaws and see if they have them although I don't think that they would retail them for $8.

Jul 29, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #306 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by grndslm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dunno if it's just me, but I think the AD700 just barely sounds better than the Accura... mostly only just barely in terms of mids, but a large margin in terms of soundstage.

The AD700 is miles ahead in terms of comfort, tho.

but compare the price too
cool.gif

Aug 4, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #308 of 345
Just got home from Carle Place, NY Big Lots, took home a few pairs of sr-660's! They must have fust come in as I had been in the store earlier in the week and there were none to be found. Still were several left on the shelf when I left with mine around 7pm today!

Aug 17, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #311 of 345
let it die!

Aug 18, 2007 at 9:43 AM Post #313 of 345
Got two pairs today. Here is a report for tweaker /tinkerer /modder /builders:

1) The comfort is bad. Very tight, gave me a headache. Pads are nice, though a little on the firm side. So I bent the steel wire to make it shape like an "n", Now there is almost no clamping pressure, super nice! But to really get it into the right shape, you will need to take apart the plastic pieces that hold the ends of the steel wire (so you can use pliers to bend that area straight. Otherwise the plastic might break if you just hold it by the plastic piece and apply pressure), but putting everything back together was very frustrating, you will have to manage to press down the coil spring (for the wings) when trying to install the three little screws, and those springs are pretty stiff. Made me wonder how they did it in the factory....They can be modded to be very very comfy, but that is alot of work and you might have to bent it again when changing users, not as nice as the instant adjustment like the conventional "cross the head" headband design.
IMGP1237.jpg

2) Build quality is more flimsy than I thought. A lot more delicate than the recently reviewed MB Quart QP's. The Accura drivers are of similar size as the QP's. (Accura~ 55mm; QP~56mm). here is a picture for you tweakers that has been thinking about using the Accura's as fosterPhones for a driver transplant. I think the QP's are overall better fosterphones though.
IMGP1238.jpg

3) The SR's somehow sound kind of hollow, which is very strange since this is a full open design. I have heard similar sound before, the cause then, was the cable (PC speaker cable changed the KSC55 driver's sound). So I dug out some of the solid core cat-5 wires and did a recable. I used black tech-flex as sleeve, and terminated the cable end with a cheap Neutrik mini plug. The recable brought out niticablely more details; bass is cleaner but quite a bit less; sound is a lot more forward (more mids?); the sound is kind of glassy when playing guitar tracks. I don't really like the sound, though I do think it is a little better than the stock cable's. This is the first time I used solid core cat-5 wires, and it will be the last time too, I don't think cat-5 is good enough for audio purpose (not sure if the teflon version will be better, mine has PVC insulation).
Both pairs were fresh out of box when I did the stock / cat-5 comparison.
IMGP1239.jpg

IMGP1241.jpg

Have fun modding
280smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back