7th Gen (2009) iPod Classic 160 SQ
Aug 21, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #482 of 548
The ipod classic 160G 2009 is the first classic I bought and I am very pleased with the sound quality but a problem with it is that when you EQ lossless music it distorts the music so I'm a bit dissapointed.( I use TF10 pro)

Aug 21, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #483 of 548
That's because ipod has a crappy EQ although I hear that's been fixed with the iphone 4 but that doesn't apply for the classic. It's best to leave it alone and if that's not something you want to do then get another player.

Aug 23, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #484 of 548

Quote:
anyone got anything firm that there is actually any hardware differences which would make it sound different vs the previous Classic ?

I had a 80gig Classic and I really didn't like it at all

I now have a Touch 2G which sounds better

i had the 2nd gen and thought it sounded better than my now 64 gb 3rd gen(at least the eq was certainly more pronounced on the 2nd gen)  i also thought the 2nd gen screen looked better after doing blind a/b compares i picked the 2nd gen screen 2/3 times..  Eq sucks so bad on the i touch /pod i cant believe i havent gotten a cowon s9 yet.  i wish iriver had a dap that had a 7 band style eq???????????????????????

Quote:
So I've heard the 2nd-gen 160GB has the same sound quality as the iPhone 3GS. If this is the case, I'm not at all surprised that so many are pleased with it.

is the 3gs the same as the itouch 3rd gen as far as audio hardware ?

Oct 2, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #485 of 548
Don't mean to reply to a really old topic, but I went through 15 pages already.

Has anyone actually owned both 2007 and 2009 iPod Classic models? Can anyone who has used these players extensively come to a conclusion to which sounds best?

Oct 2, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #487 of 548
I've got a 5G 60GB iPod and yes, I can somewhat tell a difference between the '07 Classic and '05 iPod 5G. The 5G seems to put out better bass and sounds closer to the original recording versus the Classic.

While the Classic may sound kinda cheap, I have to say I've gotten used to the clean sound it seems to put out. Using my Bose on-ear headphones, I forget all the shortcomings sometimes. I'm eying a 2009 iPod Classic because my '07 Classic's HDD seems to be dying. During playback, my iPod sometimes pauses and then starts. Some kind of buffering or read issue.

Feb 28, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #489 of 548
I bought an iPod in January. The sound initially was thin, harsh, brittle, irritating. It also had a hard drive problem, where it clicked and sounded like it was starting up, then it "died" out. 

I exchanged, and guess what? Same sound, same hard drive problem. 

To expand on the sound, it's treble was greatly emphasized with a LOT of sibilance. I am using ATH m50 headphones so it's not the phones. Unsatisfactory bass; no, I'm not a bass-head but the bass coming was accurate was greatly reduced due to the treble. In addition, on some songs the volume was at 80%-90%. 

I was just wondering if anyone had these problems, and did a replacement make a difference? I'm hoping an amp will help, but for now I'm regretting this purchase.

Mar 1, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #490 of 548
Where have you got those iPods from ? Two deffective hard disks in a row is a bit too much. The iPod Classic is brighter than iPhones but just a tiny bit thus it does not sound as harsh thin and brittle as you are telling. At least to my ears.

Mar 9, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #491 of 548
I live in Colorado, and to my knowledge they were made in late 2009. I'm really worried about replacing it again since this hard drive problem has popped up twice already. It's like the iPods weren't even switched, same sound and same problems. 

I really want to like the iPod, but the sibilance KILLS my ears, to the point where I have to skip songs to relieve myself of the torture. 

Feb 15, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #492 of 548
If there is a rule for bumping a thread from...forever...ago, I apologize. I'm looking for a big ole 160gb 7th gen classic....can anyone comment on the sound quality vs. a recent model iPod touch? Will using a 7th gen Classic + LOD put it on par with an iPod touch + LOD? 

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #493 of 548
If there is a rule for bumping a thread from...forever...ago, I apologize. I'm looking for a big ole 160gb 7th gen classic....can anyone comment on the sound quality vs. a recent model iPod touch? Will using a 7th gen Classic + LOD put it on par with an iPod touch + LOD?

As the OP i must say that i keep an iPod Classic 7G along with an iPhone 4S and a brand new iPod Touch 5.

The Classic is just a pinch worse than the 4S and Touch 5 due to a higher output impedance. But it still holds very well and amped through the line out it can surpass the other two since the Classic line out it's the best in business.

More than 3 years later from the opening of the thread i still recommend the iPod Classic for those with huge music libraries.

Feb 16, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #494 of 548
Quote:
As the OP i must say that i keep an iPod Classic 7G along with an iPhone 4S and a brand new iPod Touch 5.

The Classic is just a pinch worse than the 4S and Touch 5 due to a higher output impedance. But it still holds very well and amped through the line out it can surpass the other two since the Classic line out it's the best in business.

More than 3 years later from the opening of the thread i still recommend the iPod Classic for those with huge music libraries.

Awesome man, thanks for the reply! I think that's what I'll go with then. I don't really have the patience to go over all of the Wolfson vs. Cirrus threads.
blink.gif

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #495 of 548
Quote:

+ 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back