7th Gen (2009) iPod Classic 160 SQ
Jul 31, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #511 of 548
I have a 5.5 AND a 160GB classic. I also think my classic sounds better than my 5.5. From what I've read though, the 5.5 is supposed to be sonically superior because it has a better DAC. Different strokes for different folks I guess!

Jul 31, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #512 of 548
  If you like to tinker with the sound (eq, and other dsps) you should.

Personally i hate dsps that degragde the purity of the program and low level sounds so i have never rockboxed an iPod Classic.

I don't use EQ but there are many other excellent reasons to Rockbox the Classic including true drag and drop adding of music, Folder Browsing, an excellent dynamic playlist, customizable UI... The list goes on and on.

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #513 of 548
  I don't use EQ but there are many other excellent reasons to Rockbox the Classic including true drag and drop adding of music, Folder Browsing, an excellent dynamic playlist, customizable UI... The list goes on and on.

That might a point in some cases.

Anyway what rockbox won't do is what the Classic needs the most (a few less ohms of output impedance and noise to match the awesomeness of the iPhone 5s and the Touch 5.

Aug 1, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #515 of 548
I remember liking the classic 160gb 7th gen too.

To give you an idea of my weird audio quality preference...

1. I love the 1st Gen shuffle over almost any other ipod.
2. I Prefer the original CLAS over the 2nd version.
3. I do not like the Sansa Clip's audio quality ( sounds like FM radio to me..or maybe I got a defective unit)
4. I like the Nano 4th Gen LOD output as much as my 5.5 G (Analogue output)
5. Despite raving reviews, I found that I do not like the new 7th gen nano and 5th Gen touch via headphone output
6. I also like the nano 2nd and 6th gen over the 7th nano via headphone output.....(never tried the 1st and 3rd long enough to remember.)

Despite this odd list, I still like the classic 7th gen
I plan on buying a new one so I thought I would give my .2$ (before I give it to Apple) :)

Aug 7, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #516 of 548
My problem with the iPod Classic wasn't the sound quality as such but the sheer lack of volume. Back in 2007 when I got mine I wasn't aware of headphone amps and things like that that could ultimately improve the sound factor. In the end I sold my 80gb Classic and bought another Video model. Us poor folk in the EU have the European parliament decide what volume we should listen to our music at and the volume level at almost full volume was not great on the early Classics. I have an 80gb 5.5g model which I love but next time I visit an Apple store I will take my headphones and see for myself what the latest Classic sounds like just to see if there is an improvement.

Sep 9, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #520 of 548
Well, it seems apple has discontinued the ipod classic.

Yes it has. Even his dad Tony Fadell tweeted about it.

Sad day for a long time user like me. Even if iPhones are at 128gb i liked the click wheel having a idevice just focused in music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 9, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #521 of 548
I still use my old ipod video, which I've been debating modding the storage for a few weeks. I was kind of hoping to see an 8th gen appear today, but pretty much knew that was not going to happen. I would have loved to see a 250gb with solid dac.

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #522 of 548
I've considered buying one for a long time, seems like I have to be quick to decide if I want one now... Most stores only have around 5 left in stock. Gotta get a job asap
frown.gif

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #523 of 548
Bye bye classic, never got yo try it but had its two ealier siblings, one is still faithful after 7 years.

Having said that apple is closely watching the pono project online store. You can be sure of 128 GB ipod touch in a near future.

Sep 10, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #524 of 548
 Having said that apple is closely watching the pono project online store. You can be sure of 128 GB ipod touch in a near future.

I wouldn't be so sure.  iPod sales are declining and most people who would buy a Touch, just use their iPhone.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/04/iphones-and-profits-up-ipads-down-for-apple-in-q2-of-2014/

Sep 10, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #525 of 548
Maybe I am been naive but i would assume the same way we improved over visual entertainment experience I am assuming with time we would want sound to improve as well.

Lets than wish Sony all the best for taking on this risk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back