7th Gen (2009) iPod Classic 160 SQ
Feb 25, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #496 of 548
I'm thinking to buy an used iPod Classic 160gb late 2009 for 100 € but I haven't decided yet..

I use iTunes match, actually on my mother's iPod touch (4gen 8Gb) that's sound good to my ears. iPod touch it's more expensive (I would buy a used one) but it offer a cool interface with more features (wifi, games, video) and iTunes match. Anyway these features need often a wifi connection while ipod classic doesn't need it. It has a huge hd for storing all my music.
My smarthphone is a Galaxy Note 2 that have a good SQ (with micro sd 32 gb I can listen also FLAC files) and google play music which is not good as itunes match IMHO...

I don't know if I shoud buy an ipod classic, an ipod touch or simply remaining with the note 2... (I don't like sync my media with USB cable, I actually prefer cloud for music..) 

Hope someone advice me

Sep 1, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #497 of 548
Is this thread still alive? I have a few questions.

In Apple's website, it says it plays WAV and ALAC but it doesn't say which bit rates/sample rates it plays.

Can I play up to 24/192 with latest iPod Classic in those formats? If I am gonna buy it, I want to be sure I can play my lossless files. I have flac mostly but I can convert it if needed. As long as I don't have to downsample them (mostly 24/96 and a few 24/192 so I prefer to keep them at those rates).

Sep 3, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #498 of 548
Quote:
Is this thread still alive? I have a few questions.

In Apple's website, it says it plays WAV and ALAC but it doesn't say which bit rates/sample rates it plays.

Can I play up to 24/192 with latest iPod Classic in those formats? If I am gonna buy it, I want to be sure I can play my lossless files. I have flac mostly but I can convert it if needed. As long as I don't have to downsample them (mostly 24/96 and a few 24/192 so I prefer to keep them at those rates).

I believe it is limited to 24/48 but I am not 100% sure.

Sep 3, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #499 of 548
Quote:
I believe it is limited to 24/48 but I am not 100% sure.

Wow I got a reply, you are the best Achmed the Dead Terrorist
biggrin.gif

Btw, thank you mate. I think I will wait and settle on FiiO X5. Believe or not, I don't like UI of iPod's (no folder view option bugs me). Still for pairing with Centrance Hifi M8 iPod Classic seems to be the best option.

Apr 6, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #500 of 548
ipod classic is very mature and successful products.
cool.gif

Apr 6, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #501 of 548
I hope IPC can continue

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #502 of 548
  I hope IPC can continue

+1

I hope Apple release a new classic with hybrid HDD 16GB flash for system + 500GB for music + Apple lossless 2 support 32bit/192Khz decode.

Seriously, my iPod classic 6gen 120GB is dying (bought in 2008). Dont feel to pay same price in 2014 to upgrade to 160gb 7gen....

Apr 7, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #504 of 548
I think that Apple needs a new music player. "Classic"? He is real classical portable music player. Now people want more with more power and top audio quality. 
My thoughts that Apple can produce faceplate of classic, better screen (and even touch screen), slimmer design with 128 flash memory (but with possibility to connect some external memory disks), lighting port. Inside they need to put top chips from Cirrus logic and good amplifier section. They will keep all the best things from classical iPod style, but it will be huge step from all portable music players. As for the SQ, it will be also like all iPods, but better, even better than amped iPods now. And with this thought from my mind they should make a new name for a new iPod.

Apr 7, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #505 of 548
The old clickwheel interface has had its run, I'd just as soon see it retired after they decide to stop selling the Classic. Bring us a higher capacity Touch!

Although I (very) slightly prefer the sound of my Rockboxed 5.5G Video to my 32GB 4G and 5G Touches, I use them much more often than the 5.5G.

Jul 12, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #506 of 548
Question:

I'm interested in buying the Ipod Classic 160gb. But I'm confused when I search on amazon there's no mention of 7th gen only 6th gen and 'newest model'.

Amazon.de seems to have the cheapest option (for Europe), it says newest model:

http://www.amazon.de/Apple-Classic-MP3-Player-schwarz-aktuellstes/dp/B002NX0M50/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405158508&sr=8-1&keywords=ipod+classic+160gb

In now use my phone (Nexus 5) for my music but I need more space and something dedicated.
I have a fiio e11 amp, I've seen lots of pics with this amp and an ipod classic. So I think I can't go wrong.

Jul 12, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #507 of 548
Question:

I'm interested in buying the Ipod Classic 160gb. But I'm confused when I search on amazon there's no mention of 7th gen only 6th gen and 'newest model'.

Amazon.de seems to have the cheapest option (for Europe), it says newest model:

http://www.amazon.de/Apple-Classic-MP3-Player-schwarz-aktuellstes/dp/B002NX0M50/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405158508&sr=8-1&keywords=ipod+classic+160gb

In now use my phone (Nexus 5) for my music but I need more space and something dedicated.
I have a fiio e11 amp, I've seen lots of pics with this amp and an ipod classic. So I think I can't go wrong.

Certainly with an amped iPod Classic you can't go wrong. Aural bliss with great ui and battery life.

Password must contain at least one capital letter, the meaning of life, 14 of your favorite baby names, the Hamlet plot summary and a hug.

Jul 14, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #509 of 548
If you like to tinker with the sound (eq, and other dsps) you should.

Personally i hate dsps that degragde the purity of the program and low level sounds so i have never rockboxed an iPod Classic.

Jul 30, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #510 of 548
Picked up a 7th gen classic today...it sounds much better than my 6th gen and surprisingly, even better than my ipod 5.5 gen. I'm listening with Bowers and Wilkins P7 straight through the headphone jack.

Thanks to all for their insight and comments in this thread...it really helped me pick out a very nice DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back