7th Gen (2009) iPod Classic 160 SQ
Oct 2, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #542 of 548
Raising a thread from the dead...

I am excited and just had to tell somebody. Back in September '09 I bought an iPod Classic. It was a 160GB model and my introduction to digital music. One of the first things I did after that was to join head-fi.

Anyway, my beloved ipod has pretty much croaked. Will work fine with my speaker docks but will die after 90 minutes of play. Battery no longer holding charge.
VERY happy with my NWZ A17, but I think I have an emotional bond with the taker of my digital virginity.:blush:
Also, I really like my 30 pin speaker docks.

Took it to the Apple store. They said they could fix it for $50.00, plus $39.00 labour charge, which I was OK with. THEN he said "or I can I sell you a new iPod Classic with a 160GB hard drive for for $75.00".

Mind blown! If you can find a beat off, five year old model, you will likely pay $100.00 - $200.00 or more. Yet I can get a "brand new" (likely remanufactured) model for $75.00!!!

Picking it up tomorrow. They ordered it on Thursday and I just got an email from Apple that it's in.

Because it was a battery problem, I got this screaming deal. If you had a different problem, and wanted to exchange the price is $418.00, plus tax (in Canada).

And apparently they will not sell these across the counter, just to deal with old customers.

While I am not really an Apple fan boy, BIG thumbs up to Apple for looking after an old customer years out of warranty.

Woo-hoo!

Shane D

Oct 10, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #543 of 548
Still listening to my xl-memory Classic through external DAC and amp (Fostex HP-P1 / V1) and, until today, never thought about fiddling with the EQ because I assumed the digital output from the Classic bypassed the EQ - but it doesn't - mental - am I an idiot for not realising this?

Oct 11, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #544 of 548
Raising a thread from the dead...

I am excited and just had to tell somebody. Back in September '09 I bought an iPod Classic. It was a 160GB model and my introduction to digital music. One of the first things I did after that was to join head-fi.

Anyway, my beloved ipod has pretty much croaked. Will work fine with my speaker docks but will die after 90 minutes of play. Battery no longer holding charge.
VERY happy with my NWZ A17, but I think I have an emotional bond with the taker of my digital virginity.:blush:
Also, I really like my 30 pin speaker docks.

Took it to the Apple store. They said they could fix it for $50.00, plus $39.00 labour charge, which I was OK with. THEN he said "or I can I sell you a new iPod Classic with a 160GB hard drive for for $75.00".

Shane D

Wow..that is nice! Would blow my mind too..my 2009 Classic is still limping along,HD seems AOK but my battery holds less and less charge every week and I would love to think that this might be an option when it finally gives up. Good stuff. I love my Classic, has "Amusing Ourselves To Death" engraved on the back, never letting it go. :)

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #545 of 548
Wow..that is nice! Would blow my mind too..my 2009 Classic is still limping along,HD seems AOK but my battery holds less and less charge every week and I would love to think that this might be an option when it finally gives up. Good stuff. I love my Classic, has "Amusing Ourselves To Death" engraved on the back, never letting it go. :)

They are phasing out support for older models. As far as the Classic goes, they gave me the impression that the 2009 date was about as far back as they will go.

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #546 of 548
As far as the Classic goes, they gave me the impression that the 2009 date was about as far back as they will go.

Thanks for the info. At least there is an industry still in maintaining these beauties.. No reason, as long as the will and the money is there, to ever give it up. Although I've used "better" players, the 7th gen Classic is still a thing of beauty and superb sound. :)

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #547 of 548
It's been 7 years since i started this thread in those days when the Wolfson myth ran rampant round here and the Cirrus Logic powered 7G was dubbed as digital crap in spite of having less noise and fuller range (no bass roll off) than the Wolfson iPod.

Time flies!

Oct 12, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #548 of 548
I love my 'classic' but it bugs me that you can't extract higher quality lossless digital 'out' from it. If anyone ever found a way of doing this - or Apple provided a firmware update to make this possible - the 'classic' really would live up to its name for eternity. It strikes me that Apple, who once had a virtual monopoly on the high-capacity DAP market, let this slip away because it didn't fit with their vision of the future. It probably wasn't considered futuristic or profitable enough - I imagine enabling lossless downloading from iTunes was prevented by the same mindset -  but after using iTunes for years, I'm about to leave the Apple fold and look elsewhere for my music storage. I won't be the only one, and once you no longer need iTunes do you really need Apple? I can't help thinking Apple have missed a trick here, I mean how hard could a high-capacity lossless iPod have been - even a 256Gb iPod Touch would have been welcome. Ah well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back