7th Gen (2009) iPod Classic 160 SQ
Nov 1, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #290 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by koshinki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was ripped all my audio CD to Apple Lossless format. in the screen, i saw all the bitrate actually less... the lossless shouln't be 1411kbps like audio CD? izzit really lossless??

For best sound, I found that if I rip my CD's using Window's Media Player (in WAV Lossless format), then copying it to iTunes, I retain more data (higher MB's) per song, and it sounds better too.

While you're in the Window's Media Player go to: "Tools", "Options", "Rip Music", and set "Format" for "WAV Lossless".

When it's time to transfer each album to iTunes go to: "File" and "Add Folder to Library". You might have to input the artist and album name by "right-clicking" on the song then "Get Info" to input the information.

Nov 1, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #291 of 548
WAV isn't lossless, it's just uncompressed. And given that lossless compression exists, it's an inefficient choice for storing your music. Trust us, with lossless compression, nothing is lost. There is nothing to worry about.

Nov 1, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #292 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckturtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found that if I rip my CD's using Window's Media Player (WAV Lossless), then copying it to iTunes, I retain more data (higher MB's) per song, and it sounds better too.

While you're in the Window's Media Player go to: "Tools", "Options", "Rip Music", and set "Format" for "WAV Lossless".

When it's time to transfer each album to iTunes go to: "File" and "Add Folder to Library". You might have to input the artist and album name by "right-clicking" on the songs, then "Get Info" to input the information.

he he totally wrong mate, just because it's the same size as the original CD doesn't mean flac, alac or ape are worse. Create a huge excel spreadsheet, for example download the DVD catalogue. It'll be about 100MB big. Now use winrar on maximum compression. It'll now be about 10MB.

It's not magic, and it doesn't throw data away or corrupt data. Uncompress the rar file, and the data is exactly the same.

Nov 2, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #293 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he he totally wrong mate, just because it's the same size as the original CD doesn't mean flac, alac or ape are worse. Create a huge excel spreadsheet, for example download the DVD catalogue. It'll be about 100MB big. Now use winrar on maximum compression. It'll now be about 10MB.

It's not magic, and it doesn't throw data away or corrupt data. Uncompress the rar file, and the data is exactly the same.

I found that my music sounded better if I ripped it via Window's Media Player in the WAV Lossless format, then transferring to iTunes, versus ripping it initially with iTunes. I'm aware of this as I run the music through a headphone amp. However, if you have another method, then by all means do what works for you. But, if you have another way that retains the sound quality from your listening, then let me know, I'm seriously interested.

Nov 2, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #295 of 548
I'd imagine that almost every head-fier has enough hard disk on their main computer to rip their albums to WAV and then convert to other formats as required - it was a luxury in the days of 40GB hard drives, but who among us doesnt have the space now ? I have a terabyte external HDD that just sits on my desk doing absolutely nothing ...

Nov 3, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #297 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurora /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only have 140GB, that's 20GB less than my iPod Classic! If ever need to restaure my settings... Oh god...

i think is normal for hdisk. my new ipod also around that..

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #298 of 548
I have a 30gb iPod video which has served my well over the years, it wasnt until I considered getting a new one that I released its almost 5 years old. Definitely takes the crown for my longest lasting toy. Been reading this thread the last two days and didnt really find much of a conclusion just arguments. Anyway I picked up a 7th or (6.5) generation Classic during my lunch break and its charging at home. I'll compare it tonight to the 5th generation ipod which already sounds great and my iPhone 3GS. Had a compare amongst the two last night and the iPhone did seem to stand out as the one with a bit of an edge in sound quality.

Nov 4, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #299 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurora /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only have 140GB, that's 20GB less than my iPod Classic! If ever need to restaure my settings... Oh god...

Other than the odd netbook and old laptops, this wouldnt be a very common predicament. I seem to recall they gave me that 1TB HDD when I bought one of my laptops, and the laptop itself had 2 500GB drives inside. That a total of 2TB on a laptop - its not that long ago that smaller businesses wouldn't have had this much storage on the office server and I have it sitting on my desk, mostly idle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back