7th Gen (2009) iPod Classic 160 SQ
Nov 4, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #301 of 548
fatko, I think the biggest and most valid take away from this thread is that we all hear things differently. In the time that I have spent on Head-fi the general opinion (again, not all) is that iPod's stock SQ is not good. I have had a bunch going back to the 4gen iPhoto that you speak of, and it was in my opinion among the better sounding. I had a few 5gen and 5.5 which I felt were abysmal, along with the Nano that was released at that time. In fact I could not listen to either without an amp and LO. In fact somewhere on here years ago I comment on how I brought that version to work and my amp ran out of batteries. I switched to the HP out and simply couldn't do it, because it was so bad.

I would also say since the 4gen iPhoto and first gen Shuffle none of the iPods were worth listening thru just HP out until now. So yeah, I am a fanboy of the current version. Although I still have not heard the most recent classic, just the 3Gs and 3rd Gen shuffle which are really great to my ear (and I am of the opinion that all of Apple's current line are using the same audio tech). Couldn't be happier. I wish everyone could feel this way... but I don't criticize or object with those that do not.

Nov 4, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #302 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a fanboy of the current version... I wish everyone could feel this way... but I don't criticize or object with those that do not.

This is a true head-fi spirit. My respects, sir.

Nov 4, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #303 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fatko, I think the biggest and most valid take away from this thread is that we all hear things differently. In the time that I have spent on Head-fi the general opinion (again, not all) is that iPod's stock SQ is not good. I have had a bunch going back to the 4gen iPhoto that you speak of, and it was in my opinion among the better sounding. I had a few 5gen and 5.5 which I felt were abysmal, along with the Nano that was released at that time. In fact I could not listen to either without an amp and LO. In fact somewhere on here years ago I comment on how I brought that version to work and my amp ran out of batteries. I switched to the HP out and simply couldn't do it, because it was so bad.

I would also say since the 4gen iPhoto and first gen Shuffle none of the iPods were worth listening thru just HP out until now. So yeah, I am a fanboy of the current version. Although I still have not heard the most recent classic, just the 3Gs and 3rd Gen shuffle which are really great to my ear (and I am of the opinion that all of Apple's current line are using the same audio tech). Couldn't be happier. I wish everyone could feel this way... but I don't criticize or object with those that do not.

thanks for your info!
my iPod Photo is still in good condition with my iPod Classic 2009!
tongue.gif

Nov 5, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #304 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a true head-fi spirit. My respects, sir.

Hmm - after spending a large part of this and other threads beating us over the head with your own preferences, it would seem that you have now seen the light.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 5, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #305 of 548
Estreeter keeps fighting to me personally and spoils the spirit of head-fi, judging the things he never heard and blaming the people he disagree with.

There are more samples of his activity, I occasionally found one when googled head-fi for "ignore list":
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there's someone to put on the ignore list, it's you, estreeter. Seriously, I've seen racists more open minded than these audio "there's no difference" purists who can't tolerate different kinds of experimentations or other people's joy.

It is noteworthy that searching for ignore list guide a week ago, I've got estreeter name as a first search result.

Nov 5, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #306 of 548
Well I dunno if it is a placebo effect or what, but after reading what some had to say I went and bought the new classic, and it seems to me to be a vast improvement over my older 120, as far as the classic vs 5.5g I haven't a clue, although I own both.. I personally think the LOD sounds better on classic, but I also don't have an imod or a baller amp...

Nov 5, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #307 of 548
sigh - kostalex, I have absolutely no interest in 'fighting you' or anyone else : lets get back to the discussion at hand, shall we ? I own the 2009 Classic, you own an older model, and I believe we have made our respective cases. I'd suggest that we leave it to others to contribute their thoughts.

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #308 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm - after spending a large part of this and other threads beating us over the head with your own preferences, it would seem that you have now seen the light.
evil_smiley.gif

May you be responsible for your words - what are the other threads and my posts are you talking about?

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #309 of 548
We can either drag this thread down into a series of copy-and-paste, or we can agree to leave it here. Your choice - end of the day, folk who come to this forum for info on the 6.5/7G Classic will be no better off if we elect to go down that road. For the sake of everyone's sanity, I ask that you leave it right here. We have both posted prolifically on the iPod in question, and I'm not about to dredge through every lengthy thread over the last month or so simply to prove a point.

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #310 of 548
I aimed my last question to show the real value of your posts to the thread readers. Since you answered perfectly, I agree to disturb no more members.

Nov 5, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #311 of 548
I concur with Pangaea. I'm enjoying so much my iPhone 3GS/Classic 09 + SE420 combo that every morning i'm eager to do the daily train commute just to have the chance to get deeply lost in the sound
wink.gif
.Actually i hate when i have to bring the car to visit clients even if i have a great stereo and setup there...but i have to drive.

Nov 5, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #312 of 548
I picked up a brand new 160GB Classic from my local Apple store today. I am most impressed. It sounds just like my iPhone 3G, which is what I hoped. The 10x storage capacity ought to prove useful. I like the interface and it really is speedy at syncing tracks compared to my iPhone. Unsure why that is, but it's a nice feature.

The latest Classic is certainly a huge improvement on my old 4th Gen iPod - the Line output from that is simply shocking with my RSA Shadow. Unlistenable in fact, after hearing what the iPhone 3G/Classic '09 are capable of.

In it's defence, I must say the 4th Gen drives my iGrados pretty well direct from the headphone socket. The synergy is quite nice with that pairing.

So, to round up here's another happy 7th Gen Classic owner. Believe the hype. It really does sound as good as the iPhone and Touch IMO.

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #313 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-fi Wigwammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked up a brand new 160GB Classic from my local Apple store today. I am most impressed. It sounds just like my iPhone 3G, which is what I hoped. The 10x storage capacity ought to prove useful. I like the interface and it really is speedy at syncing tracks compared to my iPhone. Unsure why that is, but it's a nice feature.

The latest Classic is certainly a huge improvement on my old 4th Gen iPod - the Line output from that is simply shocking with my RSA Shadow. Unlistenable in fact, after hearing what the iPhone 3G/Classic '09 are capable of.

In it's defence, I must say the 4th Gen drives my iGrados pretty well direct from the headphone socket. The synergy is quite nice with that pairing.

So, to round up here's another happy 7th Gen Classic owner. Believe the hype. It really does sound as good as the iPhone and Touch IMO.

I agree. Of course after listening through a LOD to my mustang, it's hard to go back to just the HP out!

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #314 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-fi Wigwammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The iPhone just has a lot more to sync than the classic that is most likely why it is taking longer. I know when I sync my 3Gs it goes thru a lot of pre-lim syncing (it tells you what its doing in the top window) before it even gets to the media. You may be able to speed things up by adjust the settings (turn off email, calendar, internet bookmarks, etc syncing).

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #315 of 548
Finally, after several pages of posts questioning the SQ of the Classic compared to the iPhone/3G Touch, its refreshing to see some support for the only iPod to offer this much for a comparatively small amount of money. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back