7th Gen (2009) iPod Classic 160 SQ
Nov 5, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #316 of 548
I have been enjoying my new 160g Classic for a few weeks now.
Just received my new Wadia I170 Transport and PS Audio Digital Link III dac. The transport and dac are not portable but oh the sound. This combination is just outstanding. The ipod/transport/dac playing lossless files ripped from cd's sounds better than my Marantz SACD player playing the cd and is very close to what the Marantz sounds like playing SACD's. Has a very smooth analog sound as opposed to a harsh digital sound that most low end cd players produce. This combination is easily on par with the Wadia and Meridian players that I had auditioned and was close to buying.

$250 for 160g of space with very good portable sound and exceptional sound when used as a transport is a winner for me.

Nov 6, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #317 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by hybwolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been enjoying my new 160g Classic for a few weeks now.
Just received my new Wadia I170 Transport and PS Audio Digital Link III dac. The transport and dac are not portable but oh the sound. This combination is just outstanding. The ipod/transport/dac playing lossless files ripped from cd's sounds better than my Marantz SACD player playing the cd and is very close to what the Marantz sounds like playing SACD's. Has a very smooth analog sound as opposed to a harsh digital sound that most low end cd players produce. This combination is easily on par with the Wadia and Meridian players that I had auditioned and was close to buying.

$250 for 160g of space with very good portable sound and exceptional sound when used as a transport is a winner for me.

Sensational report, hybwolf - several of us are eagerly awaiting Vinnie's comparison between his Wadia and the Onkyo transport, but its great to hear from someone who can compare the Wadia to their CDP.

Nov 6, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #318 of 548
I was thinking of waiting for the Onkyo to become available but I like that the Wadia has analog outs as well as digital. I think the Onkyo is digital out only.
That and Music Direct offers a decent discount if you buy the transport, dac, and cable as a bundle. It was around $175 discount vs buying everything separate.

Nov 7, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #319 of 548
You are correct - it has Coax and Toslink optical out+video out. That suits me, as the Topaz takes Toslink input, but I can see that it wont be to everyone's liking.

Nov 7, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #320 of 548
I know there was a topic about this subject but I can't find it anymore. Will you here the difference in SQ between apple lossless and mp3 (320kbs) on a portable device, especcialy this iPod ?

Nov 7, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #321 of 548
I ripped the files on my Ipod using Apple Lossless because I use my Ipod in my main system also. I have a very revealing, transparent system. Wadia transport, PS Audio Digital Link III dac, Cary V12 amp, Cary Slp-98 pre-amp, and Vandersteen 3A speakers. I definitely hear a big difference between lossless and mp3 when playing in the main system especially since I'm retrieving the digital signal from the Ipod via the Wadia transport and sending the signal to an outboard dac. I would rip to mp3 though if I was using the Ipod as a portable only. For me, I find it much harder to tell the difference between lossless and mp3 when using IEM's in a noisy environment. I really need to pick the music apart and listen to sounds rather then the music as a whole to hear the difference.

Your best bet is to try both formats and use what sounds good to you. Use mp3 so you can store more music if you can't hear a difference.

Nov 8, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #322 of 548
my ipod classic problem!!! everytime i pluged in, the itunes asked me to restore the system and i needed to sync the 600 songs again. within a wk, i already restored abt 5 times!! i brought back to the shop and request for replacement.

ya.. i got a new set. this time really difference. i found out the sound quality of my new set is much more better than the old unit. before burn in, the SQ already better...
smily_headphones1.gif

happy and enjoying with my ipod...
L3000.gif

Nov 8, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #323 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by koshinki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I brought it back to the shop and had requested a replacement.

Ya.. I got a new set, this time really different. I found the sound quality of my new set to be much better than the old unit. Before burn in, the SQ is already better...
smily_headphones1.gif

Happy and enjoying my ipod...
L3000.gif

I had the very same experience when exchanging a newly purchased '09 Classic for another. The second one had sounded much better, right off the bat.

However, even if the new one sounds better out-of-the box, be prepared for the SQ to change for the worse and than for the better while burning it in. Just be patient, and in the end, it'll be sounding its best.

Nov 8, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #324 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckturtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the very same experience when exchanging a newly purchased '09 Classic for another. The second one had sounded much better, right off the bat.

However, even if the new one sounds better out-of-the box, be prepared for the SQ to change for the worse and than for the better while burning it in. Just be patient, and in the end, it'll be sounding its best.

thanks for the advice
smily_headphones1.gif

i'm looking for the portable amplifier for my device.. tested for ibasso D10 and D3. bios to D3 bcoz the battery life even though the D10 sound better. any comment regarding this 2?
What kind of LOD cable (from the ipod to amp, called "LOD"??) u all use? what is the recommended brand? if i use the normal cable, the sound quality degrade?

Nov 9, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #325 of 548
Quote:

thanks for the advice
smily_headphones1.gif

i'm looking for the portable amplifier for my device.. tested for ibasso D10 and D3. bios to D3 bcoz the battery life even though the D10 sound better. any comment regarding this 2?
What kind of LOD cable (from the ipod to amp, called "LOD"??) u all use? what is the recommended brand? if i use the normal cable, the sound quality degrade?

I have 4 different LOD's to include a ALO. The best sounding, of the one's that I own, would be the Microshar LOD. It's full sounding, definitly less Hi-Fi sounding, and has the largest soundstage. The only drawback with it is the cable is somewhat long and stiff, but the sound is so much better that it's a real keeper. And for the sound, it really should cost more than it does.

Here's a link to one on eBay:

iPOD LINE OUT DOCK CABLE TO 1/8 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER-B4 - eBay (item 380158608917 end time Nov-13-09 04:56:11 PST)

Nov 9, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #326 of 548
Quote:

I have 4 different LOD's to include a ALO. The best sounding, of the one's that I own, would be the Microshar LOD. It's full sounding, definitly less Hi-Fi sounding, and has the largest soundstage. The only drawback with it is the cable is somewhat long and stiff, but the sound is so much better that it's a real keeper. And for the sound, it really should cost more than it does.

Here's a link to one on eBay:

iPOD LINE OUT DOCK CABLE TO 1/8 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER-B4 - eBay (item 380158608917 end time Nov-13-09 04:56:11 PST)

the link u provide in the ebay, the page nvr mention is "Microshar LOD", how we know this is the brand?

Nov 9, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #327 of 548
Quote:

the link u provide in the ebay, the page nvr mention is "Microshar LOD", how we know this is the brand?

There's 3 pictures on the bottom of the LOD on the eBay ad. Take a look at the first of the three. It's upside down, but the cable's label reads Microshar.com. I have this same LOD and am aware of it's design!

Nov 10, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #328 of 548
Quote:

i was ripped all my audio CD to Apple Lossless format. in the screen, i saw all the bitrate actually less... the lossless shouln't be 1411kbps like audio CD? izzit really lossless??

Lol Jasmine Leung the Power of love HAHAH! I have her songs too....

Heres a few of my favorites.
DSC00108.jpg

Nov 10, 2009 at 9:16 AM Post #329 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by So_Sweet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol Jasmine Leung the Power of love HAHAH! I have her songs too....

Heres a few of my favorites.
DSC00108.jpg

haha.. that's not jasmine leung's album.. is a compilation CD for english music.. my jasmine leung CD still in the queue.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #330 of 548
Quote:

There's 3 pictures on the bottom of the LOD on the eBay ad. Take a look at the first of the three. It's upside down, but the cable's label reads Microshar.com. I have this same LOD and am aware of it's design!

the prob buy from ebay, i unable to test it.. but the price really ok for me.. u really recommend this? then i'll try to contact the seller get more info abt this..

any others friend here using good LOD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back