7th Gen (2009) iPod Classic 160 SQ
Oct 30, 2009 at 10:48 AM Post #271 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by elfary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So after many thread pages more or less we are all realising that something has changed inside the classic from 2008 to 2009. I believe that the audio chip has to be the same that the one inside the iPhone 3GS. The change can not be just in the amplifier section since the sound signature prevails when you listen through the Line Out bypassing the internal amp.

In these mass marketing days it still puzzles me that Apple did not even say a word about the improvement on the fidelity of the iPod Classic 2009.Furthermore when looking the outside you think that the device is absolutely abandoned by Apple when actually some resources into the internals' tweaking have been put up.It looks like they do not want to cash in. Curious really.

I suspect that Apple are more interested in moving the iPhone and the Touch - this is an area where they can capitalize on a lot of their in-house R&D : both run versions of iPhone OS, itself a derivative of OS X, the desktop OS on the Mac:

iPhone OS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm sure Apple are able to sell truckloads of Nanos to the kids, Shuffles to the joggers and the Touch/iPhone to anyone who can afford it - have to wonder if the Classic might be a relatively poor seller, but I've never seen any sales figures. Other large-capacity players have come and gone, and I'm hoping that it doesnt come down to a bean counter decision once flash becomes sufficiently affordable for Apple to offer a high-capacity Touch at a reasonable price (reasonable for Apple, that is
evil_smiley.gif
)

Here is a quote from Apple CFO John Oppenheimer from July this year which may confirm some of my fears:

“This is one of the original reasons we developed the iPhone and the iPod touch,” he said. “We expect our traditional MP3 players to decline over time as we cannibalize ourselves with the iPod touch and the iPhone. However, we have a great business that we believe will last for many years and which we will continue to manage well and offer the world’s most innovative products.”

Source : iPod touch ascendant as traditional iPod sales fall | iPod | Playlist | Macworld

Oct 30, 2009 at 10:51 AM Post #272 of 548
ckturtle, one of the criticisms made of audiophiles is that many spend more time listening to their gear than they spend listening to music. Its entirely possible that you have a faulty iPod - my advice is to listen to the thing without looking at the screen.

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #273 of 548
Hi,
I'm planning to get a ipod classic. some of the friends here talked abt ipod classic 2009, actually got good and bad unit(sound quality). anyone here can teach me how to see or choose the device? i'm new in this, worry can't differentiate it by just listen to the files which already pre-load inside.

thanks

Oct 30, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #274 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ckturtle, one of the criticisms made of audiophiles is that many spend more time listening to their gear than they spend listening to music.

As a audiophile, I'm guilty many a times of listening to the equipment instead of the music, especially, while attempting to tweek a system. My CD Player alone had cost me 5K and I seem to be carrying this anal behavior over to the iPod!
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 30, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #275 of 548
I just bought an ipod classic 160gig and I noticed that when I listen to my iphone, the volume is half way. However when I listen to the classic, the volume is closer to 3/4. It almost seems like the amp is less powerful in the classic than the iphone 3gs. Anyone else notice this?

BTW, the classic sounds pretty much the same to me as the iphone 3gs.

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #276 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by koshinki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
I'm planning to get a ipod classic. some of the friends here talked abt ipod classic 2009, actually got good and bad unit(sound quality). anyone here can teach me how to see or choose the device? i'm new in this, worry can't differentiate it by just listen to the files which already pre-load inside.

thanks

I found by giving the Classic '09 a week or so of continual burn-in its sound quality really does comes about. It'll have an abundance of: soundstage, instrument separation, texture, warmth, rythym and prat.

It becomes a great sounding player, and a keeper too. Just give it time to burn-in. There will be a significant difference between it and the right-out-of-the-box SQ.

This, BTW, is predicated upon using the line-out. I haven't tried the HP as of yet.

Nov 1, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #277 of 548
thks for the reply... i already got my 1st apple product (ipod classic 2009) in my life..
okok... i will try to play the musics as long as possible to burn in the device.. now my main prob is to figure out how's the itunes works! i feel that it is not so user friendly.

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #278 of 548
The golden rule with iTunes is that nothing happens on the connected iPod until you Sync. I try to control most things manually - if you let iTunes do the thinking, it can get out of control when you think you are doing one thing and it has other ideas.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #279 of 548
exactly. i want this but the itunes help me to do that!!!
my main prob is how to re-arrange all my audio file to match the itunes system. the files already in my hdisk for years, re-arrange it is a big project for me...
frown.gif

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #282 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by koshinki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my package came with a ipod docking station "plastic" without any wire and base on that. that means i need to buy my own docking station?

Yes, you must buy your own. The ipod doesn't come with a docking station.

I got this one for work. It's hard to find a black one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product

Nov 1, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #283 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckturtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is noticeable to me is that there is less texture to the vocals whenever the screen brightness has been increased. It also works inverseley too.

It could be my imagination, but I don't think so.

I think it is really possible. There are deficit of power in portable devices, so increased brightness can affect SQ of audio circuit. Or screen may make RF noise. There are plenty of reasons besides of your imagination.

Nov 1, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #284 of 548
normal_smile .gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOD really does improve the sound quite a bit, but I'm not sure about the burn-in of the source itself. Does the copper change when electrons pass through it for 40 hours?

We've been down this road before, within the various audio communities, regarding the quantifiable benefits of burn-in for interconnects, powercords, source components, amps, speakers, etc. Let's not start invalidating the value of it at this point!
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #285 of 548
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure about the burn-in of the source itself. Does the copper change when electrons pass through it for 40 hours?

snake_oil_03.jpg

LQQK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back