7Hz Impressions & Discussion
Jan 12, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #1,561 of 4,269
Does anyone in this thread have experience of how the Timeless coupled with the Cayin RU6 perform? I'm intrigued by the RU6 analogue sound and I'm trying to understand if this pairing can give satisfaction or if instead for the Timeless it is better to go for something else. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Jan 12, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #1,562 of 4,269
Does anyone in this thread have experience of how the Timeless coupled with the Cayin RU6 perform? I'm intrigued by the RU6 analogue sound and I'm trying to understand if this pairing can give satisfaction or if instead for the Timeless it is better to go for something else. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
I'm not the best at picking out audible differences between sources but I can tell you that I enjoy the Timeless + RU6 pairing and favor it over my iBasso DX300. The RU6 is a very natural sounding DAC/AMP to my ears. It doesn't color the sound in any way but it's not sterile, either. It's lifelike and "smooth". I find, on rare occasion and recording dependent, cymbal strikes and electric guitars to a have a bit more "bite" and energy than I care for with the Timeless. The RU6 seems to help smooth things out in that upper midrange / lower treble region just enough to eliminate fatigue. Plenty of heft in the low end too and more than enough power to properly drive the Timeless.

The RU6 doesn't impart a "tube-like" quality to the sound, or added warmth, if that's what you're after. But it's not a bright source either by any stretch. Overall it matches very well with the Timeless IMO.

Jan 12, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #1,563 of 4,269
I'm not the best at picking out audible differences between sources but I can tell you that I enjoy the Timeless + RU6 pairing and favor it over my iBasso DX300. The RU6 is a very natural sounding DAC/AMP to my ears. It doesn't color the sound in any way but it's not sterile, either. It's lifelike and "smooth". I find, on rare occasion and recording dependent, cymbal strikes and electric guitars to a have a bit more "bite" and energy than I care for with the Timeless. The RU6 seems to help smooth things out in that upper midrange / lower treble region just enough to eliminate fatigue. Plenty of heft in the low end too and more than enough power to properly drive the Timeless.

The RU6 doesn't impart a "tube-like" quality to the sound, or added warmth, if that's what you're after. But it's not a bright source either by any stretch. Overall it matches very well with the Timeless IMO.
Thank you so much, you couldn't have explained better! Comments like yours are exactly what I was looking for :thumbsup:

Jan 12, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #1,564 of 4,269
Got my btr5. Should have spent more time researching, the btr3 is half the price and prob would work fine. But the qudelix 5k is in between both those prices and prob best and has parametric eq and everyone says better app. Oh well. At least the btr5 worked np with linux mint.

Yeah, huge difference imo. Now these sound like what I'd expect $500 iem's to sound. Have to wait a couple weeks to get my balanced cable.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #1,565 of 4,269
@Rockwell75 doesn't hang out on this thread but he has the RU6 and Timeless. You can find him and lots of other cool head-fiers over on the The Watercooler Thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...anter-index-on-first-page-all-welcome.957426/

Jan 13, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #1,567 of 4,269
Yes actually, but way smaller and easier to wear. Vented backplate Timeless would be nice.
So, something like this but with planars instead of DD? Maybe more open than these yeah?

Xiaomi-Piston-2-Gold.jpg

Then you are indeed good at picking out the audible differences. The Cayin RU6 is an overall warm signature (just south of neutral), whereas the DX300 is right at neutral (if also a bit warm). There will also be a bit of added warmth illusion because the DX300 has way more current output than the Cayin, making notes a bit slower sounding which lends to an overall warmer sound.

In the case of planars power constraints are not so much the issue but current is. If you look at a lot of Hifiman planar headphones, most of them (on paper) require very little power because they are low impedance, and medium to high effiency. This means that (technically) they can be driven from the poorest phone output, but they won't be able to energize the sandwiched membrane fully, thus not reproducing sound as well as they can if fed their maximum rated amps (which is not usually stated in speaker specs even nowadays). Looking back at the Cayin RU6 it is capable of 200mW out of balanced, but I don't know what the amp rating is for it.

So, the morale of this story is that you really will get better the intended sound from a better amp (as long as said amp has good amp rating). This also means that in almost all contemporary mobile amps/DACs balanced will control them better than coming out of single ended. This may not hold true for desktop setups where they are meant to be very powerful out of your 3.5mm connection.

As an example, if you are using the DX300, you will most certainly be able to drive them to full potential out of balanced because the rated amps from the stock amplifier (Amp11 MkII) is 2 amps. It is even more from the Amp 12 module that you can buy separately.

I own the OG Tinhifi P1 planars and I can tell you this one is SO current hungry. On my DX300 I have to have the volume at 50% on high gain to be normal levels for me (which I don't listen exorbitantly loud). The DX300 puts out about 1.2W from balanced!

Anyhow, Hi folks! I am new to this thread but thought I would drop by and say hello. I recently picked up a pair of these IEMs. I have SOME break-in time with these, but not near enough to speak about the final product. So far I am liking these for what they are and how much they cost. They complement some of my other stuff very well.

Jan 13, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #1,568 of 4,269
My setup pictures with the Timeless:

20220112_110503.jpg

20220112_120449.jpg

20220112_120824.jpg
  • DAP = iBasso DX300 w/Amp11 MkII
  • Cable = Fdbro 8 core OFC SPC 4.4mm balanced MMCX cable
  • Tips = Tennmak blue/white Whirlwind medium tips (came as stock on my iBasso IT07 IEMs)
  • IEM = Timeless (duh).... :)
Edit: BTW! Mine also came with the MMCX removal tool, though it doesn't seem to fit properly because of the shape of the IEMs. I have found that rather than trying to pinch off the connector, I get my fingernail under the connector and press in and up at the same time away from the earpiece (with the connector). It takes some doing the first time, but is so easy once mastered, and insures you can't damage the connector or the eirpiece.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #1,570 of 4,269
In terms of driving the Timeless personally I have good results with a powerful USB dongle like the THX Onyx (180 mw). I don't feel like missing much from my desktop amp (K5 pro, 1 full watt). The sound seems a bit more refined technically (speed, resolution, timbre) through the THX compared to a more basic dongle with only 30 mw. I could totally live only with the Timeless plus a good USB dongle, I would only miss the sense of scale of full-size planar headphones.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #1,571 of 4,269
In terms of driving the Timeless personally I have good results with a powerful USB dongle like the THX Onyx (180 mw). I don't feel like missing much from my desktop amp (K5 pro, 1 full watt). The sound seems a bit more refined technically (speed, resolution, timbre) through the THX compared to a more basic dongle with only 30 mw. I could totally live only with the Timeless plus a good USB dongle, I would only miss the sense of scale of full-size planar headphones.
Fantastic! I know what you mean. Having used the DX300, and the DX160 before that, I would have a hard time going back to something lesser if I KNOW something can sound better. Glad you found a good synergy with them.

Jan 13, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #1,574 of 4,269
My system is set to change the hardware volume on my DAC. I could not detect any resolution loss myself. Resolution has in fact increased now.
If you are going out of your DAC to an amp via LO, it should be set to 100% because you are not amping that signal coming from your DAC. At that point, it is like looking at EQ. It starts at 0. So 0 in this case is the full signal. If you subtract half of that transport signal coming into the amp to -50% it is like trying to amplify a whisper. It doesn't boost the resolution but does amplify any noise that is not normally heard by the human ear. This can also amplify any sort of sibilance or otherwise errant sounds because you are increasing a virtual volume to correct for not having full signal coming into the amp. This may seem like better resolution, but it is more like what they do in the recording industry as pertains the "Loudness Wars". They take away the dynamics of a track in order to make the sound louder (to the point of clipping).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back