7Hz Impressions & Discussion
Jan 13, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #1,576 of 4,269
Their might be another factor. My amp seems to produce better quality output in high gain mode between -40dB and -20dB setting. So far I like the results.
And that is all that matters after all! I'm glad that you like what you hear. If you don't mind me asking, what DAC/amp combo are you using?

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #1,580 of 4,269
Yes. Linux PC running pipewire.

Did some testing right now and set my DAC to 100% volume again. My amp is still on high gain but I keep it at -65dB now. Sounds optimal.
I rarely use my PC for music listening (gaming laptop), but I have set up an external HD with my WiFi router to access it via network so that I can (just in case my SD card quits). But when I do, I normally just use the DX300 or DX160 as DAC/amp.

I used to have a stack that I would use before acquiring the iBasso equipment. It was a Fiio X5 (OG), and X3II as the DAC, and because I had some high resistance headphones (HD700 @150Ohms) I would also normally use a portable amp; either the Fiio Alpen (OG), or the Alpen 2. This was generally a really good setup.

I have read this thread from the beginning. What tips and cable have you settled on for the Timeless?

Jan 13, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #1,581 of 4,269
Been alternating between Mojo (Audirvana) and M11 (UAPP) with the Timeless.
Interestingly the Mojo does not beat the M11 (4,4 balanced port).
The difference in clarity in favor of the M11 is quite discernible.
The sound is beautifully clear across the spectrum whereas with
the Mojo the highs seem to get overpowered with peaks of
sibilance every now and then.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #1,582 of 4,269
I rarely use my PC for music listening (gaming laptop), but I have set up an external HD with my WiFi router to access it via network so that I can (just in case my SD card quits). But when I do, I normally just use the DX300 or DX160 as DAC/amp.

I used to have a stack that I would use before acquiring the iBasso equipment. It was a Fiio X5 (OG), and X3II as the DAC, and because I had some high resistance headphones (HD700 @150Ohms) I would also normally use a portable amp; either the Fiio Alpen (OG), or the Alpen 2. This was generally a really good setup.

I have read this thread from the beginning. What tips and cable have you settled on for the Timeless?
Currently running my Timeless with a NiceHCK 4 core Litz silver cable and Tennmak Whirlwind tips. I'm waiting for my Kbear Rhyme cable to arrive, thats the final one i wanted to use.

Jan 13, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #1,583 of 4,269
Been alternating between Mojo (Audirvana) and M11 (UAPP) with the Timeless.
Interestingly the Mojo does not beat the M11 (4,4 balanced port).
The difference in clarity in favor of the M11 is quite discernible.
The sound is beautifully clear across the spectrum whereas with
the Mojo the highs seem to get overpowered with peaks of
sibilance every now and then.
That is interesting considering the M11 (I assume you aren't talking about the Pro version) is known to be a bit bright of neutral. Maybe it is just doesn't have any discernable peaks to speak of?! So I assume you like the M11 better for the Timeless then?

Jan 13, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #1,584 of 4,269
Currently running my Timeless with a NiceHCK 4 core Litz silver cable and Tennmak Whirlwind tips. I'm waiting for my Kbear Rhyme cable to arrive, thats the final one i wanted to use.
I considered getting that one based on all the recs on this thread at the same time I was ordering the Timeless (from Amazon), but they didn't have 4.4mm. I CAN use 2.5mm but only on the DX300 not any other equipment. Maybe I will try again when they get more in stock. Though I am pretty happy with the cable I have on it atm, I have a few in stock that I can roll if I decide I am not too happy with it.

Jan 13, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #1,585 of 4,269
That is interesting considering the M11 (I assume you aren't talking about the Pro version) is known to be a bit bright of neutral. Maybe it is just doesn't have any discernable peaks to speak of?! So I assume you like the M11 better for the Timeless then?
I did expect, just like you, to make the Timeless a little too bright but it sure sounds right to me.
Now about the Mojo, so as not to jump to conclusions, I'll give them some listening with different music genres.

Jan 13, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #1,586 of 4,269
I did expect, just like you, to make the Timeless a little too bright but it sure sounds right to me.
Now about the Mojo, so as not to jump to conclusions, I'll give them some listening with different music genres.
Let us know?! I certainly am interested in hearing your thoughts on the differences overall after spending time with both.

Jan 13, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #1,587 of 4,269
Needing an amp -- I've read most of this thread and it seems that there is noticeable improvement when driving these with an amp in comparison to the iphone dongle or a MBAir 2020 headphone jack.

However, I have used amps/interconnects, etc. in the past and just don't want to deal with it, so that's a flat NO.

Driven from iphone dongle or MBAir, will these still be an improvement over the MELE, whose sound profile I prefer but lacks a little air and detail? The Hana 2021 also appears to have the general MELE profile, so would you guys think I would like the Hana 2021 or the Timeless when I use either without amping?

Jan 13, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #1,588 of 4,269
Needing an amp -- I've read most of this thread and it seems that there is noticeable improvement when driving these with an amp in comparison to the iphone dongle or a MBAir 2020 headphone jack.

However, I have used amps/interconnects, etc. in the past and just don't want to deal with it, so that's a flat NO.

Driven from iphone dongle or MBAir, will these still be an improvement over the MELE, whose sound profile I prefer but lacks a little air and detail? The Hana 2021 also appears to have the general MELE profile, so would you guys think I would like the Hana 2021 or the Timeless when I use either without amping?
Is it right for you, hard to say. what I do know is that off a headphone jack on a samsung phone I get plenty of volume. I use eq on Neutron a couple notches up on 8K and just a few at 1.2k; down at 200hz and up at 48hz....seems natural, some sparkle, deep but no Boom. pleasant in detail, musical and energetic, volume wise...I'll just say I like being able to hear and would like that to continue. I have seen several comments that amped these sound better but I wonder if it's a volume based observation, ie louder is better!? I have used an amp with these and didn't notice a quality improvement, just quantity.

tomorrow I have a dac/amp coming along with a 4.4 for balanced. For me it's a quality issue
your other iems I'm not familiar with. I do have shure 535s and they are VERY analytical, timeless is not that but offers detail, balance and presence.

Jan 14, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #1,589 of 4,269
Hi folks, just ordered these today and have read a decent chunk of this thread leading to some Qs for my situation:

I see a lot of EQ discussion. I have a sizeable offline library through my Sony walkman but I plan to run this mostly through Apple Music on my phone and MacBook Pro 2021. Does any one know of an EQ app on iOS and/or OS X that Apple Music harmonises with? If not, do they sound fine without EQ after burning in or does that sharpness that has been mentioned remain?

I’m coming from RHA t20i as my main portable which had some real harsh/ fatiguing highs at times and I’m drawn to the relaxed nature I’ve heard about with the Timeless.

Worth mentioning I do not have a balanced solution at present as I value dac dongles with low footprint rather than something bulky potentially screwing my iPhone lightning port over time.

Further: I currently have shure aonic 50s in for cosmetic repair that acted as my home listening pair - I’m debating selling these towards getting the Sundaras in time.

Will I like the Sundaras if I like the Timeless?

Any insight is appreciated!

Jan 14, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #1,590 of 4,269
Is it right for you, hard to say. what I do know is that off a headphone jack on a samsung phone I get plenty of volume. I use eq on Neutron a couple notches up on 8K and just a few at 1.2k; down at 200hz and up at 48hz....seems natural, some sparkle, deep but no Boom. pleasant in detail, musical and energetic, volume wise...I'll just say I like being able to hear and would like that to continue. I have seen several comments that amped these sound better but I wonder if it's a volume based observation, ie louder is better!? I have used an amp with these and didn't notice a quality improvement, just quantity.

tomorrow I have a dac/amp coming along with a 4.4 for balanced. For me it's a quality issue
your other iems I'm not familiar with. I do have shure 535s and they are VERY analytical, timeless is not that but offers detail, balance and presence.
I can say this. Having more current for the Timeless doesn't necessarily make them sound "better" but will drive them to their full potential will make them drive to what was intended. Whether you like that sound better or not is subjective. So basically, driving them to their full potential will require some current to do.

Running them directly from a phone or PC/MAC will most likely not do this. But I would argue that some people will find this sound pleasing to them. The bass will be boomier (less textured), and the sound becomes more relaxed, though you most likely WILL hear those sibilant issues talked about earlier in the treble area more often. There will be a certain amount of "grainy(ness)" introduced to the overall sound when not driven properly. Your ears may or may not hear this so YMMV.
Hi folks, just ordered these today and have read a decent chunk of this thread leading to some Qs for my situation:

I see a lot of EQ discussion. I have a sizeable offline library through my Sony walkman but I plan to run this mostly through Apple Music on my phone and MacBook Pro 2021. Does any one know of an EQ app on iOS and/or OS X that Apple Music harmonises with? If not, do they sound fine without EQ after burning in or does that sharpness that has been mentioned remain?

I’m coming from RHA t20i as my main portable which had some real harsh/ fatiguing highs at times and I’m drawn to the relaxed nature I’ve heard about with the Timeless.

Worth mentioning I do not have a balanced solution at present as I value dac dongles with low footprint rather than something bulky potentially screwing my iPhone lightning port over time.

Further: I currently have shure aonic 50s in for cosmetic repair that acted as my home listening pair - I’m debating selling these towards getting the Sundaras in time.

Will I like the Sundaras if I like the Timeless?

Any insight is appreciated!
You may or may not. I personally don't find the Timeless and Sundara as similar as other folks have mentioned other than that planar thing (tight fast transients, clarity). But you can pretty much get that generic similarity from any planar of quality. That being said they are best driven with more current, but you may find the sound pleasing straight out of your Macbook, or Phone (see above). With less current, the bass is boomier, mids are a bit thinner and recessed (the V signature more pronounced), and the highs are less resolving making them sometimes a bit harsh (not often though). Take that with a grain of salt as those changes are more subtle than I am making them sound.

Overall if you like the sound signature that the Timeless are, then you will probably love them because they ARE very good for the price. The same will go for the Sundara. I would suggest that you try and find a way to audition the Sundara before you commit to them. I landed on the Deva because they are similar to the Sundara in sound but are also capable of hi-res bluetooth with just a cable swap.

The Timeless are worth the $200 asking price for sure. Keep in mind these are a planar but are tuned more like a consumer IEM rather than audiophile tuning. Nothing wrong with either, but they are different targets in their tuning. These are not neutral and aren't meant for critical/analytical listening, but on the other hand, they have a super fun tuning. They are very pleasing listen (and non-fatiguing overall unless overexaggerated bass is fatiguing to your ears)!

As for EQ, I can't answer that question because I am not in the Apple ecosystem (windows/android for me). But doing a google search will most likely help you out there. Personally Peace for windows is a super powerful (but high learning curve) EQ. This can't be used on Mac though because it lacks the Equalizer APO needed to run it. For android I find Neutron player the best in the business (meant for audiophiles). It is bit-perfect (bypassing the android limitations), and when needed, has one of the best EQ apps that I have seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back