7Hz Impressions & Discussion
Jan 9, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #1,546 of 4,269
Large tips are interesting on the Timeless. If your timeless only lays in your ear and doesnt enter your ear canal, its gonna sound like an open-back headphone. Currently using Symbio W medium tips.
Yes that's another benefit of large tips :) also I find that it helps taming treble peaks, no?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #1,547 of 4,269
Large tips are interesting on the Timeless. If your timeless only lays in your ear and doesnt enter your ear canal, its gonna sound like an open-back headphone. Currently using Symbio W medium tips.
I always use large tips on the Timeless. I use mediums for most IEMs, but large for the Timeless and other single-DD style IEMs. Try the large Symbios. It might change your world. I can switch between my Aryas and my Timeless without missing a beat. Very similar in sound, slightly different in scale.

Jan 10, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #1,548 of 4,269
Good that you make this point. This applies to any IEM I believe.
Deep insertion in the ear canal attenuates soundstage but improves tone weight in some instances. Peripheral insertion improves soundstage but reduces tone weight making for a more airy but less impactful sound, depending on the IEM.
The Timeless behaves excellently with peripheral tip insertion (e.g. I use the Sennheiser ie pro large silicone tips) retaining an impactful sound with an improved soundstage.

Jan 10, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #1,549 of 4,269
I always use large tips on the Timeless. I use mediums for most IEMs, but large for the Timeless and other single-DD style IEMs. Try the large Symbios. It might change your world. I can switch between my Aryas and my Timeless without missing a beat. Very similar in sound, slightly different in scale.
The medium sized Symbio Ws already barely fit into my ears. Big enough!
With tips like this I don't have any need for a new headphone.

Jan 10, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #1,550 of 4,269
I was using these tips and liked the results. sadly one got stuck in the canal when it came off the tip. discovered that the tube of the tip split inside and couldn't keep the grip. looking for similar like this maybe?

Dekoni Audio Moldable Foam Ear Tips Premium Memory Foam Isolation Earphone Tips - 4.9mm - Large 13mm Black (ETZ-MERCURY-LG-13mm)

Jan 10, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #1,551 of 4,269
I was using these tips and liked the results. sadly one got stuck in the canal when it came off the tip. discovered that the tube of the tip split inside and couldn't keep the grip. looking for similar like this maybe?

Dekoni Audio Moldable Foam Ear Tips Premium Memory Foam Isolation Earphone Tips - 4.9mm - Large 13mm Black (ETZ-MERCURY-LG-13mm)

There is as far as I know no alternative to Symbio tips. The silicon + foam combination is unique.

Jan 10, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #1,553 of 4,269
Tip-rolled all sorts of tips on my Timeless again. The Symbio Ws medium take the crown for perfect seal and maximum soundstage. Lots of treble but never bright or piercing. I cannot hear any reduction in detail unless you equate brightness with lots of details. Especially pure instrumental tracks sound so good on my Timeless right now. The 8k peak seems to be reduced and this IEM has now flat treble and more prominent vocals.

Jan 10, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #1,554 of 4,269
Good that you make this point. This applies to any IEM I believe.
Deep insertion in the ear canal attenuates soundstage but improves tone weight in some instances. Peripheral insertion improves soundstage but reduces tone weight making for a more airy but less impactful sound, depending on the IEM.
The Timeless behaves excellently with peripheral tip insertion (e.g. I use the Sennheiser ie pro large silicone tips) retaining an impactful sound with an improved soundstage.
I only have experience with one other IEM--the Fiio F9 Pro--and its barrels/tips seem to go farther into my ear canal than my Timeless. I kept thinking with the Timeless...is this OK? I still got a nice sound from the Timeless but it didn't seem quite as isolating as the FiiO and with my lack of experience with IEMs I didn't know if I was getting the full Timeless experience.

It almost seemed to me that it was possibly an intentional design of the 7Hz to do this because of their planar drivers. Anyway, glad to see that that there is an appreciation for its more peripheral insertion style and I don't have to try to pursue something that gets farther into the ear canal although I appreciate that there are advantages to getting the tips more deeper inserted.

Jan 10, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #1,555 of 4,269
Tip-rolled all sorts of tips on my Timeless again. The Symbio Ws medium take the crown for perfect seal and maximum soundstage. Lots of treble but never bright or piercing. I cannot hear any reduction in detail unless you equate brightness with lots of details. Especially pure instrumental tracks sound so good on my Timeless right now. The 8k peak seems to be reduced and this IEM has now flat treble and more prominent vocals.
I think Timeless may be the only iem with which I was able to get a decent seal with the Symbios. But they are so uncomfortable for me that I can't tolerate them. No matter because, sonically, there are other tips that I prefer.

Jan 10, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #1,557 of 4,269
One day we will be able to buy open back planar IEMs. Just imagine if the Timeless had it's driver exposed behind a mesh. The soundstage is gonna be so big.
Like the Audeze iSine 10?

isine.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back