71 IEM Brief Review thread (incl. Rhine Monitors, Cleartune, CustomArt)
Sep 25, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #346 of 366
  @jelt2359 , have you ever tried InEar's Stagediver SD4s? If so, is a comparison between that and the K10 or the Savant available?
Contenders for my next IEM are: SD4, K10, and Savant.
Thank you.

On a technical level, the K10 plays them both against the wall... And it is a custom, so fit(and thus isolation) will be much better.
Your contenders are like a BMW M3, Audi RS4 and a LaFarrari...Yes, the K10 is that good.

Nevertheless, maybe you won´t like the signature, because the higher you climb that latter of audiophiledom and technicality, the more the differences become one of a signature kind...
Andy maybe the sheer number of drivers or the process of getting a custom won´t convince you.
So these are just my two cents...

P.S. Excuse my English, not a native English speaker/ writer...

Sep 30, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #347 of 366
After reading through the impressions, two in particular caught my eyes. The V6-S and CT500 have great performance at a not-that-expensive price range and are priced pretty closed. I won't be having that much cash for a TOTL CIEM in a long time. So from the descriptioni and in comparison, the V6-s sounds like the poor man's UERM to me for its analytical signature and the CT500 the K10 for excellent mids. Is that a good analogy? Can any one help with a more direct comparison?

I am currently enjoying the SD-2 wanting more treble energy. I go for my GR07 or DBA-02 if I want more treble. How rolled-off is the upper treble of the CTM500?

Oct 7, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #348 of 366
Not sure what is the appropriate thread to put this in, but I spent some time at MS a couple of weeks back when I had some time and these were the CIEM demos that I auditioned along with some short findings:

1. 1964 Ears Adel 12

The first pair I auditioned and to be honest I wasn't entirely blown away by the sound. It sounded excellent, don't get me wrong, but for the pricepoint and with the intrigue surrounding the Adel technology, I guess I expected a very un-IEM like sound closer to full-sized cans, but instead the A12 'only' sounded like a nice flagship IEM. Granted, I'm not very familiar with the modules, and I'm not sure which ones the demo had on. Sound wise, bass was north of neutral, and it sounded really unique in a spatial sense (if I'm even making sense). I can't quite describe it nor can I decide if I like it, but the bass was probably the only frequency range that sounded different compared to all other IEMs I've ever heard. Mids and highs were excellent. Nothing noteworthy here. Clarity, detail, transparency, tonality were all great to my ears.

2. 1964 Ears Adel 10

Essentially the A12 with lesser bass. Whilst I'm not sure how much I like the A12, I definitely liked the A10 - a lot. The tuning of the A10 was flatter, and as a result of the reduced bass compared to the A12, the A10 sounded clearer and more transparent. Vocals sounded a notch better. Sounded a tinge clearer to me as well. Airiness, together with the A12, was supreme. If I had to choose between the A10 and A12, I'd definitely go for the A10. Cheaper, more linear sound - right up my alley.

3. Rhines Stage 7

Excellent for vocals. The midrange definitely stood out for me whilst the bass and highs were much more polite in nature. Unfortunately, the Stage 7 saw the least in-ear time for me so I can't offer much except to say that it was one of the top 4-5 IEMs I heard that day (and mentioned in this list)

4. Earwerkz Legend R

Actually, I couldn't remember by name if it was the R or the Omega that I listened to. But it wasn't a bass monster so I can safely assume its the Legend R. I liked this quite a bit, except in the midrange where, similar to my own Earwerkz Supra 2 customs, the tone is somewhat off, and in the soundstage, where it seems like the Earwerkz house sound leans towards a more intimate/closed-in setting. Not really my cup of tea, but definitely by design and not a fault of the IEM. Overall though, the Legend R was very technically proficient, some sort of a supercharged Supra 2.

5. Noble Kaiser 10

Super high hopes for these considering the immense praise I've seen on Head-fi. Unfortunately, I wasn't very impressed. First and most obviously was the overall 'thinness' of the midrange, which I didn't like at all. Compared to the first 4 IEMs that I listened to, I couldn't pick one aspect of the K10 that I liked more than the others. While obviously it still bests 90% of all the other IEMs I've even listened to before, I didn't really think it was anything special at the summit of IEMs. 

6. Clear Tune Monitors ____

Unfortunately since this review came about 1-2 weeks too late, I can't remember which model I tried. It was either the CT-500E or the CT-6E. All I can remember about them is that they sounded excellent, and could hang around with the big guns. For the price that the MS guy mentioned to me, probably one of the top choices for those seeking a budget option (if $1K is budget at all!?)

7. HUM Pristine Stage Monitor

I believe this one is quite unknown even in the massive far-reaching Head-fi universe. If I recall correctly, the demo unit came in just a few days before I visited MS. What I can remember clearly is that whilst the MS guy told me that the HUM was one of his top choices for vocals, I didn't really find it so. It was very similar to the Legend R midrange in my opinion and I just didn't quite dig it. The technology the HUM uses is quite novel I believe (can't remember much about this as well). Overall sound was very good as well. But similar to the K10 demo, I didn't really think it was the best in any department.

8. Lime Ears Aether

The last IEM I demo-ed. I was rushing for time and almost passed up on listening to these, but boy am I glad the MS guy persuaded me to give a shot at them. Without doubt, my favorite CIEM demo of the bunch. It is undoubtedly the best earphones I have ever had the privilege to test out. The lushest, most realistic midrange I have ever heard in any IEM by far. Complete mindblown. Bass was very present but very well controlled. The highs were excellent as well. Not mind-blowingly good as with the midrange. Maybe lacking the last ounce of sparkle, but it mixed well with the overall sound. Clarity and the sense of space was top notch as well. The only thing I didn’t like was the switch at the bottom which to me was not necessary at all considering how the normal tuning sounded just fine to me. I gave it ago though and there was a slight increase to the bass weight. It didn’t come at the cost of anything though, so I’m positive that bassheads would find that an awesome feature.

If I had to dish out rankings, I would probably do it in tiers:

Tier 1: Lime Ears Aether demo
Tier 2: Rhines Stage 7 demo, 1964 Adel A10 demo
Tier 3: 1964 Ears Adel 12 demo, Earwerkz Legend R demo
Tier 4: Noble K10 demo, HUM Pervasion demo, Clear Tunes Monitors ___ demo

Please also note that my impressions are all based on demo sets, which in my experience can vastly differ from the actual CIEM experience. Also, my impressions are highly affected by my subjective preference in sound signature, which basically means that my findings are likely to differ from many out there.

Oct 7, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #349 of 366
  If I had to dish out rankings, I would probably do it in tiers:

Tier 1: Lime Ears Aether demo
Tier 2: Rhines Stage 7 demo, 1964 Adel A10 demo
Tier 3: 1964 Ears Adel 12 demo, Earwerkz Legend R demo
Tier 4: Noble K10 demo, HUM Pervasion demo, Clear Tunes Monitors ___ demo

Please also note that my impressions are all based on demo sets, which in my experience can vastly differ from the actual CIEM experience. Also, my impressions are highly affected by my subjective preference in sound signature, which basically means that my findings are likely to differ from many out there.

Great impressions man. You must've had a lot of fun auditioning them. Thanks for mentioning the A10 bcos the information is just lacking everywhere.

Just to fill in a bit, if it's bass monster like you mentioned, it must have been the Earwerkz Legend Omega which is like an enhanced-bass version of the R. And the CTM500 is the one getting all the praise for punching above its weight. I heard it once and love the balance, but especially the mids.

Would love to travel down south to audition everything like you did. Certainly much better choices than in KL.

Nov 9, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #353 of 366
Have you heard them yourself Piotr? Lime Ears HQ is probably driving distance for you
smily_headphones1.gif

Any plans for something new TOTL yourself in the near future?

Well I have heard demo on Audioshow last year, but to my knowledge it's far from production version. I live 5min from LE's lab and we meet on many occasions at least once a week, but I never really have time to bug them for demo. There's upcoming meet in Paris on 21st and I will be attending with Emil from Lime Ears I will hopefully get a chance to give it a try.

Cant give you any specific on any new model atm. Not because I don't want to but because we have so much work, those plans are pushed further and further.

Nov 17, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #355 of 366
best thread in here , imho.

Jelt is the Michael jordan of TOTL iems (imho , again)

great thread.

Dec 16, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #356 of 366
I'm really interested to read your comparisons against the JH13 Freq. I love the uber resolving nature of them and how they extract all the nuances out of my music, yet have just enough bass to make them fun to listen to. I have the JH16 too but they are just too bassy for me and are rarely used.

Despite loving my JH13 I am very intrigued by this new batch of CIEMS and can feel the upgrade bug starting to take over me and looking good forward to working out which will be natural successor to the JH13 for me.

Apr 9, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #360 of 366
Guys , how would you rate between : Se 5 , Harmony 8 pro/ultimate , Noble k10 and AKG K3003 - strictly for Classical - Orchestral and lastly general acoustic. Please PM if you have experience !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back