71 IEM Brief Review thread (incl. Rhine Monitors, Cleartune, CustomArt)
Dec 21, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #31 of 366
Thanks for this. It's customary for me to burn in a set before I review them, although I haven't always experienced massive differences in the sound. (I listen along the way just like you, moe :))

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #32 of 366
A quick update for anyone that's on the fence after reading my brief review. I've been in touch with EarWerkz, and they did think that something was wrong also with the demo set I heard. Nevertheless I heard enough potential to put in an order for a full custom set. I don't like acrylic customs, but I'm going to make an exception this one time.

So for anyone still hesitant, you'll have more info to compare soon. My ear impressions are on the way to them as we speak.

Dec 24, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #33 of 366
I just went on another round of auditions, to try a different set this time. Up against each other this round: CustomArt Harmony 8, CustomArt Harmony 8 Pro, JH13 FQ, JH16 FQ, JHRoxy, Vision Ears Stage 6, W60.

This time around, the IEMs I auditioned were all TOTLs, and the performance showed. Still, there were some significant sound signature differences. I spent the most time with the CustomArt pair, since they're the ones I'm considering and also I suspect the ones least people have heard to date. I know they're now on a tour, so this is about to change- and I think many more will agree how enjoyable they are.

CustomArt Harmony 8 Pro (925 Euros)
Fresh off Piotr's genius mind, I might be the first customer to try the CustomArt Harmony 8 Pro demo set. So, obviously they're not burned in. They were also paired with comply tips- since Piotr said this was what he had tuned them with, I kept them on. The demos, btw, are beautifully made. They are also about half the size of the Roxy Universals, and comfort was very good.

The Sound
The H8P have a very balanced and coherent sound. It comes across as very refined, smooth and effortless. The presentation is very clean and fast. This is the type of presentation that doesn't wow on first listen- but give it some time. It performed capably with just about everything I threw at it.

The bass is a textured and detailed presentation with a bit less punch, but good rumble- although the (burned-in) H8 set that I heard had bass that had tightened up considerably, so I have reason to believe this will change in time. The mids are not forward at all, and the treble is energetic without any trace of sibilance. 

The presentation is where the H8P hits a home run. The soundstage is both wide and deep, and there are clear, distinct layers to the sound- superb separation. It also achieves this without losing focus and imaging. The overall sound is very three-dimensional. Quite an incredible feat indeed.

vs Noble K10 ($1599)
My comments vs the K10 will be limited in scope, since I am comparing them based on memory (I did not test the K10 today). But I can definitely see why some have said they sound like the Noble K10. Both are slightly warm, although the K10 is warmer. Both sound very smooth. Both have great extension- although the H8P has more presence and energy in the high end. Both also have a balanced signature with mids that are not forward. The bass is where the two have the biggest difference, though. The K10 has bass that can more than bring the big guns to the fight if needed- tight and impactful. The H8P, in contrast, lacks a bit of impact- at least from the demo set I heard.

vs CustomArt Harmony 8 (925 Euros)
The Harmony 8 I tried was a full silicone custom version. It is clearly from the same family as the H8P. The bass is equally textured, but is tighter (I suspect this is due to burn in). The mids had significantly more presence and are more forward. The treble is just as detailed and extended as in the H8P, but lacks the energy of its sibling. In fact, listening to the H8 and H8P side by side really showed that both were very good presentations, and one cannot go wrong with either. If one desires more treble energy, then get the H8P. The extra treble energy in the H8P has been really well implemented, and is achieved without edgyness or sibilance.

vs JH13 FP ($1099)
After reading about the FP, I decided to finally audition a pair, despite already owning (and disliking) a JH13 myself. The JH13 FP are truly an outstanding performer. The bass is extremely hard hitting, although with a bit less detail than the CustomArt. Bass tightness is about the same, perhaps with the edge slightly to the JH13 FP. The clarity is wonderful as well. Where the JH13 really makes its money, in my mind, is in its mids. They are extremely airy while still maintaining a strong presence. There is also very energetic treble, and all in all the sound is very balanced and coherent. Where soundstage is concerned, the JH13 was smaller. The sound was also less layered in the JH13, probably due to its aggressive nature. In fact, the one thing I didn't quite like was the forward and aggressive nature of the JH13. The combination of a neutral signature, excellent technical performance and a forward sound seems to put the JH13 right on the cusp of either being musical or analytical, and never quite crossing fully over into either. Nonetheless, its technical performance rivals that of any IEM I've heard.

JH13 FP Score: 9.7

vs JH16 FP ($1149)
The JH13 and JH16 are more alike than they are different, which shouldn't surprise, given that they are from the same family. The JH16 adds warmth to the sound signature, and the resultant signature is weighed lower. It never quite crosses into 'dark' terrritory, however. The JH16 unfortunately loses a bit of the magical airiness that I really enjoyed on the JH13, but on the other hand it gains some smoothness and fullness to the sound. All in all, different strokes of the same coin.

JH16 FP Score: 9.7

vs JHRoxy ($1649)
The JHRoxy is full, velvety, and smooth. The signature had a lot more similarities with the Fitear family, than with the forward and aggressive JH13/JH16 pair. Extension in both the highs and the lows is very good, but both the bass and treble energy has been dialled back compared to JH13/JH16. The mids are also less airy and instead have a smoother presence. 

I first tried the JHRoxy at the 1:30 position, before eventually turning it back to the 7:00 position. The differences are subtle- which is a good thing. Bass impact and detail were quite similar at both positions. With the bass up, the sound was a touch warmer, and vice versa. Interestingly, changing the bass knob did not affect the other parts of the frequency response.

Compared to the H8P, both had soundstages that were similarly large. This was pretty impressive. It did not quite have the same layered/ 3D presentation as the CustomArt, however.

JHRoxy Score: 9.5

vs VisionEars Stage 6 (1899 Euros)
These were the most astronomically priced set in the group, and they did show elite performance in several areas. The presentation was wonderfully clear- even more so than that of the JH13, although to be fair the VisionEars Stage 6 has a brighter signature that tends to give the impression of added clarity. The mids had a good balance between presence and air, and the treble had a delightful timbre. The bass, however, was light but tight (on both settings)- it felt almost like a gentle flick of the finger. It had far too little impact for me. If only these guys can incorporate the clean, tight, hard-hitting bass of the SE846- we'll have a solid winner!

VE6S Update: The x2 tuning definitely has the lesser bass, but even on x1 these cannot be considered bassy. This is not immediately clear when listening to it without comparisons, since like the Westone W60 below, the entire signature fits together very well and is well balanced. However, when comparing to the JH series, for example, its relative lack of bass emphasis is obvious. On x1, the bass feels a bit heavier than (quoting myself) "a gentle flick of the finger" and the signature is a bit warmer, but the difference between the two settings- while noticeable- is not night-and-day. I think this is a good thing, because both x1 and x2 would appeal to the same listener seeking different flavours to the sound; rather than catering to two entire markets entirely. 

One additional, non-bass related, listening note: The soundstage of this is extremely wide. The sound is also extremely fast. Both of these factors help add to the sense of crystal clarity.

VisionEars Stage 6 Score: 9.6

vs Westone W60 ($999)
I was pleasantly surprised to hear the Westone W60. It had a very restrained, refined sound with very good soundstage, although smaller than that of the CustomArt Harmony 8 Pro. It also did not have the elite layering and separation of the H8P. Where the Westone was really lacking though was the bass. Extension was good, but it just did not hit with enough impact and was not tight enough either. That being said, the low-end wasn't the lightest I heard today- that distinction goes to the VisionEars Stage 6. The mids were also a bit dry, and could do with a tad more air. Interestingly, though, the entire combination just worked. I tried to put them down a few times, but the balance of the entire signature- the coherency and organic nature of the sound- fit together extremely well, and kept drawing me back in. 

Westone W60 Score: 9.4

Summary
What better way to spend Christmas Eve, than to do the one thing I enjoy the most- listen to music. I've had the good fortune to listen and compare many TOTL over the past few weeks, and will continue to do so. Of all the sets I tried today, two IEMs really jumped out at me. First, the JH13 and their FP sibiling are literally two separate phones. I own the classic JH13, and have been very disappointed with them, but the update has an amazing clarity, good neutral sound, and just overall deliver on every front. The other IEM I really liked was the CustomArt Harmony 8. While just a tad less impressive across the frequency range as the JH13, it has a killer soundstage and an amazing layered, 3D presentation that makes the sound very textured.

CustomArt Harmony 8/8 Pro Scores: 9.7

P.S. After this massive comparison with more TOTLs, I have also updated the scores of the other IEMs above. Mostly downwards.

Dec 24, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #34 of 366
jelt2359 Thank you for saving me some money :)

Judging by your sound ratings on both the OP and the one above this, it shows that to your ears the SE846 hold their own against their peers, which keeps both my ears, and - probably more importantly, my wallet - very happy...

Dec 24, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #35 of 366
@jelt2359 Thank you for saving me some money
smily_headphones1.gif

Judging by your sound ratings on both the OP and the one above this, it shows that to your ears the SE846 hold their own against their peers, which keeps both my ears, and - probably more importantly, my wallet - very happy...

All of those that I rated highly had something that set them apart from the rest. For the SE846, it was that clean, fast, well-articulated bass. It's also no slouch in other areas, though.

After my experiment with modding the different filters and foam, I'm also beginning to think if there's more we can do to experiment (for example, replace the foam with different type of damping materials- cotton wool, etc). No other IEM on this list allows such experimentation and fun. :)

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #38 of 366
  I just went on another round of auditions, to try a different set this time. Up against each other this round: CustomArt Harmony 8, CustomArt Harmony 8 Pro, JH13 FQ, JH16 FQ, JHRoxy, Vision Ears Stage 6, W60.

This time around, the IEMs I auditioned were all TOTLs, and the performance showed. Still, there were some significant sound signature differences. I spent the most time with the CustomArt pair, since they're the ones I'm considering and also I suspect the ones least people have heard to date. I know they're now on a tour, so this is about to change- and I think many more will agree how enjoyable they are.

P.S. After this massive comparison with more TOTLs, I have also updated the scores of the other IEMs above. Mostly downwards.

Nice comparison, bro! You're not the first person to rave about the sound of the CustomArt Harmony 8 Pro. Sounds like they are something worth listening to. 
smile.gif

Anyway, looks like the K10 is still at the top of your list, albeit shared with a few other TOTLs. Btw, which would you prefer if you had to choose one - the K10 or the H8P?

Dec 24, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #39 of 366
Jelt, may I know where did you demo the H8P from?

I tried the Roxanne universal from connect it and wasn't that impressed with it as compared to the ASG 2.5. Furthermore the Roxanne universal is extremely huge and it was quite a bad fit for my ears. I blame my small ears.

Wonder how will the 1964 and legend R sizes be... Though the UM legacy 12 driver universal fits my ears perfectly.

Dec 24, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #40 of 366
It's funny because the I do not remember the bass being light at all on the V6 x1 settings.

X1 sounded fuller than X2 for sure, but compared to the other IEMs I've been hearing recently- K10, JH series- for example, the bass quantity was definitely lighter. Also, the VisionEars set had a very unique sound that I remember being crystal clear and so the entire presentation may have just been tuned for that goal. Anyway truth be told I spent the least time with them, because this was not my choice of signature at all. I'll find a chance to spend more time with them and update my impressions.

Update: impressions for VisionEars Stage 6 updated above.

Dec 24, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #41 of 366

Nice comparison, bro! You're not the first person to rave about the sound of the CustomArt Harmony 8 Pro. Sounds like they are something worth listening to. 
smile.gif

Anyway, looks like the K10 is still at the top of your list, albeit shared with a few other TOTLs. Btw, which would you prefer if you had to choose one - the K10 or the H8P?

Thank you! As I told Duncan, each of the IEMs that I rank at the top had something special that warranted their score. With K10 it's that smooth yet extended signature that has a perfect balance across lows, mids and highs. With the H8P it is the soundstage and layered music presentation. Neither of them is perfect yet, so I'll still go with 'depends on the music' at this point :)

Dec 24, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #42 of 366
Jelt, may I know where did you demo the H8P from?

I tried the Roxanne universal from connect it and wasn't that impressed with it as compared to the ASG 2.5. Furthermore the Roxanne universal is extremely huge and it was quite a bad fit for my ears. I blame my small ears.

Wonder how will the 1964 and legend R sizes be... Though the UM legacy 12 driver universal fits my ears perfectly.

Soundwaves, Bedok Mall. The Roxanne Universal is also a bad fit for me. I've tried 1964 demos. Much smaller. Vitaliy, their CEO, also tells me that their demos will be much smaller than the Roxy. As for Legend R, I would say at this point they're very much a 'customs only' company- avoid their demos!

Dec 25, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #43 of 366
Soundwaves, Bedok Mall. The Roxanne Universal is also a bad fit for me. I've tried 1964 demos. Much smaller. Vitaliy, their CEO, also tells me that their demos will be much smaller than the Roxy. As for Legend R, I would say at this point they're very much a 'customs only' company- avoid their demos!

A new demo unit of the Legend R will be available for audition, Jack has mentioned that the new demo unit will be much closer to the custom fit model in terms of sound.

Dec 25, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #44 of 366
A new demo unit of the Legend R will be available for audition, Jack has mentioned that the new demo unit will be much closer to the custom fit model in terms of sound.

Good to hear. Zzmadzz, that's your cue :)

Dec 25, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #45 of 366
Ahh, ok i have made an appointment with MS for 26th December 2pm at their office at ming's arcade. Anyone from Singapore wanna tag along? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back