71 IEM Brief Review thread (incl. Rhine Monitors, Cleartune, CustomArt)
Feb 11, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #226 of 366
  Audition Round 3: A "Not-So-Hidden" Gem Emerges

Today I continued my audio journey, spending an afternoon with three TOTL universals: the Sennheiser IE800, JVC FX850, and AKG K3003.

Sennheiser IE800 ($799)

The IE800 has a refined sound that I would just stop short of calling "smooth"- especially when compared with the K3003. It has great bass detail and quantity, but the low-end lacks just a little bit of punch. On the opposite end of the spectrum, the highs have good energy that never crossed over into sibilance. Treble accuracy was a little bit of an issue for me, though, with some high notes just not sounding right to my ears. Over in the middle, the mid-range is really nice. Detailed, lush and airy, yet somehow not forward- the mids are beautifully balanced against the rest of the sound.

The soundstage was not small- but it wasn't the largest I heard today. The IE800 was also relatively fast- but again, not the fastest among the three. Overall, the IE800 had a mainstream sound that was high on clarity. 

IE800 Score: 9.4

AKG K3003 ($1099)

The AKG K3003 features, like the Shure SE846, a filter system. Unlike the Shure SE846, for which fun mods with the damping material is possible, the AKG K3003's filters have no changeable damping material and are just pieces of metal. I tested the two filters that interested me: "Reference" and "High-Boost". 

Reference Filter: The K3003 has a very smooth and clean sound. It was the fastest of the 3 IEMs I heard, and also had the biggest soundstage to boot. The bass was punchier than that on the IE800, and had good detail as well. There is good treble energy without sibilance, and the mids are airy with good presence. Nice, balanced presentation.

High-Boost Filter: With this filter installed, the K3003 sacrifices some smoothness for even more treble energy. The mids also gain more air, and overall clarity is a touch better, and the soundstage a bit larger. Unfortunately the bass gets noticeably thinner. Worse still, sibilance creeps into the picture for treble. With this filter in- when it sounds good, it sounds really good, but I found it sometimes too edgy and unlistenable. This has been a real rarity with my Hugo Chord, which generally has a buttery smooth sound, for which even the brightest Shure filter is completely free of edginess.

K3003 Score:  9.4

Summary

Overall, I liked the JVC a lot, although its signature was much too warm for me. I can understand why Head-Fiers have tried to EQ it and tried to mod it. There's a lot to work with here, and given its price... just wow. I also liked the K3003, although I preferred elements of the "Reference" filter and elements of the "High Boost" filter. Specifically, I thought High Boost needed to cut out the sibilance and retain a bit more of the smoothness of the Reference. Finally, the IE800 was a competent performer, but I found reason to be disappointed with both its bass and its treble.

first of all , fantastic thread/impressions - and very helpful, especially for us unlucky ones which can not audition/own all these TOTL C/IEMs you try out

simply outstanding job , your thread is like Joker's if it was on steroids (and a bigger budget)
tongue.gif

also thanx for reviewing the K3003 and giving me a perspective on where it stands among the 'big boys', i bought it recently and although it is my 1st TOTL iem , i am very happy with it and your review/description resembles my thoughts exactly and your 9.4 grade shows me i made a wise choice.

i will be reading your future posts , you write nicely and unbiased (very, very important virtue of a reviewer)

cheers

Feb 19, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #227 of 366
Round 12: Rhine Monitors 1.2, 2, 3, 4, 5; Cleartune Monitors 200, 300, 400; UERM; CustomArt Music One; Music Two; Pro 330v2. Updated scores for 1964 V6 and V6S as well as Cleartune Monitors 500.

Rhine Monitors Stage 1.2 ($700)

The 1.2 had a clear sound, nonetheless with good warmth. The midbass was a bit light, and the subbass had better extension than slam. The lower treble is quite polite, lending to a smoother, non-fatiguing upper midrange. Actually this pretty much seems to be the Rhine Stage series sound, as you'll see. The high-end extension was okay, nothing to complain about. The mids are neither wet nor dry, and the whole midrange was relatively even, quite full, and energetic while not aggressive. Airiness was also quite good. Positioning-wise, the mids was recessed- by a hair. In terms of the presentation, the soundstage was above average in all three dimensions.

Rhine Monitors Stage 1.2 Score: 9.3

Rhine Monitors Stage 2 ($875)

The Stage 2 once again, married great clarity (more so than the 1.2) with a smooth sound. The midbass is a tad more punchy, but less detailed than on the more expensive ones in the lineup. Subbass extension was good, but not the best. The lower treble was- here's the last bit of that house sound- smooth and relaxed. There was no sibilance in the treble. One negative was that the upper treble, while well extended, was actually a bit peaky. The mids were wetter in character, and continued to be a bit recessed, although they were a bit less even and sustained than its bigger brothers- coming next.

Rhine Monitors Stage 2 Score: 9.4

Rhine Monitors Stage 3 ($1135)

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record here, but let's hear it again. Warm signature; gentle lower treble. To add something new to the understanding, 'gentle' does not mean dipped. This was smooth- not boring. The middle treble here was a bit edgier, but not quite sibilant yet. Midbass continues to be quite polite, and subbass performance is again above average, maintaining reasonably good extension and slam. High end extension here was good- the upper treble presentation was spot on for my tastes. The mids here were definitely thick and wet, aided by a slightly bumped lower mids, while maintaining good airiness in the upper midrange. They were neither forward nor recessed. The depth and width was good on the Stage 3, although height was a bit less.

Rhine Monitors Stage 3 Score: 9.4

Rhine Monitors Stage 4 ($1410)

The Stage 4 had mids that were laid back and recessed, and a bit uneven because of a slight lower mids bloom. Their character was wet and a bit lush, although the airiness was quite okay. The soundstage on the 4 was very large but a bit diffused- in fact, I found the 4 to have the biggest soundstage of the Stage series, even more so than that on the new flagship 5. The soundstage height definitely improved on that presented in the 3. This time I kept the house signature comments till later, but they're still here. Warm, warmer than its siblings in fact, with a polite lower treble. Mid-treble on the 4 was harsher and edgier, though. The subbass had good extension but again could do with more slam. The midbass was punchier than on the 5. On the other end, the upper extremes were also well extension, and even slightly peaky. Overall, the balance and coherence on the 4 was better than in the smaller-numbered monitors, hence the slightly higher score.

Rhine Monitors Stage 4 Score: 9.4-9.5

Rhine Monitors Stage 5 ($1570)

The Stage 5 was outstanding. It had a clean, warm sound with great clarity. This was definitely a case where the balance and coherence of everything blended together beautifully. I wanted more midbass- it was fast with good detail, but could hit slightly harder. The subbass, while better in both slam and extension, also fell short of the best. The upper treble, again, while well-extended, was also a bit peaky. I've listed all the "bad" points first because again, it all works in-spite-of. Let's switch to the good parts of the technical performance- the lower treble continues to be gentle without being dipped. The middle treble was subtle, with no hint of sibilance. The mids here were dry, with subtle airiness, and an even character with no peaks. It was recessed by a breath. The presentation was also good- nice imaging with good coherence and soundstage, but a bit short of the best. Very large soundstage that gains air as it expands, yet with a nicely focused sound. This soundstage was very well done. Overall, though, delightful tuning with great balance is the name of the game here. This was an energetic, non-fatiguing listen with great rhythm.

Rhine Monitors Stage 5 Score: 9.6-9.7

Cleartune Monitors CT-200 ($400)

The 200 had a clean sound with very interesting imaging- a bit of a stereo 3D effect here. The soundstage was also naturally large with no problem of diffusion. The bass was strong, crisp and hard, but without much slam- think 'golf swing' here. The subbass was lacking somewhat in both slam and extension. The mids were a bit less even than the other Cleartune Monitors, but continued to retain great clarity. The midrange was also a bit forward and aggressive, with a very resonant sound. It did not lean any way in dryness or wetness. The airiness of the mids was strong, rather than subtle (opposite to the Rhines in this regard). The lower treble is very energetic here, and almost a bit edgy. The middle treble was controlled but not dipped; and the upper treble was rolled-off; although seemingly less than its brothers. Overall, I was very impressed by the 200s.

Cleartune Monitors CT-200 Score: 9.5-9.6

Cleartune Monitors CT-300 ($500)

The 300 was my least favourite of the series. The bass continues to be crisp and punchy, and the subbass is nicely extended with above average in slam- actually quite nice. The mids here are still clear, but are a bit warmer and richer, though still not wet in character. Unfortunately it seems to be a bit less even in the midrange. The mids airiness was above average. Details on the 300 was just average, not helped by clarity that was less than its siblings though still good. The lower treble was well balanced, sounding both smoothed and energetic at the same time, but the middle treble was edgy. The upper treble was nicely rolled off. More generally, the soundstage was quite large, but came at a cost of focus- it sounded a bit diffused.

Cleartune Monitors CT-300 Score: 9.4

Cleartune Monitors CT-400 ($600)

The stereo imaging effect in the 500 and 200 is also present here. Best of the series, in fact. The subbass extension is okay, although slam is only average. There is more punch down low here- it is crisp and with good slam, although some of the resonant mids magic seems muted as a result. The mids here are a bit more recessed, and lean slightly towards being dry. They have good airiness. The middle treble here is detailed without being harsh, and the upper treble is nicely rolled off with no peaks. Like the 300, the soundstage was large but a bit diffused. A friend of mine called this quite similar to the V6S and I can definitely see why.

PS, if you're interested and haven't already, do check out my CT-500 brief review as well. After more auditioning, I have adjusted its score to 9.7.

Cleartune Monitors CT-400 Score: 9.6

Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors ($999)

The first thing that struck me was the amazing clarity. This clarity was also very evident in the forward mids, which were relatively even in character- though not yet the absolute best in this regard. The midrange also had good airiness that was very naturally presented, neither too harsh nor too subdued. The midbass here was a bit lighter, but punchy and bouncy in character. It was very fast, with good detail. The subbass was a bit lacking in both extension and slam- more so in the latter. Switching gears, the lower treble is very detailed, clear and even. The middle treble is subtle and smooth while still clearly present, and the upper treble was well-extended without being peaky. More generally, the soundstage was large and naturally presented, and the imaging was also very good- the sound could be clearly placed, while still maintaining good coherence. Overall, this was a clean, refined sound that wasn't cold or lean, and had good, natural decay. I walked away thinking, this is what I believe neutral should sound like- not warm; not clinical; and while not smooth, not harsh either. Beautiful.

Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors Score: 9.7

CustomArt Music One ($215)

The CustomArt Music One had punchy, linear bass, with very light subbass that had better extension than slam. The mids were even, a bit dry and airy, although a bit recessed. The center of the midrange was more energetic than the Music Two, although the bottom of the mid-range was about the same. The upper mids were a bit peaky, as was the lower treble, although the upper treble was more gentle- yet not drastically rolled off. The clarity was a bit poorer on the One than on the Two. The One also seemed just a bit slower. In terms of presentation, the soundstage was deeper than wide or tall, although still doing alright on the other two dimensions.

CustomArt Music One Score: 9.4

CustomArt Music Two ($370)

The CustomArt Music Two had linear bass that was even a bit sharp in the midbass, and very light subbass. The sparkle in the upper mids and lower treble was immediately obvious- strong, and a bit hot. The middle treble was a bit edgy, and the upper treble was rolled off. In the midrange, the mids were dry, and every so slightly harsh. They were neither recessed not forward- which makes them more forward than those on the Music One- but they sounded less energetic than those on its Music family sibling. Generally speaking, the clarity was top-notch, the speed was very good, and the soundstage was average in size, and quite naturally presented. It was taller and wider though not as deep as on the Music One, although with that said the depth was still okay- never quite getting into 'intimate' territory.

CustomArt Music Two Score: 9.4

CustomArt Pro 330v2 ($570)

The CustomArt Pro 330v2 was less bright than the other two IEMs, while still being resolving. The mids had nice energy, though not quite veering into 'lush' territory. Their character was a bit wet, and they had average airiness and were also a bit recessed. The upper mids were still a bit hot, and thankfully there was no sibilance to be heard, although the sound seemed to get a bit stronger towards the start of the upper treble. There is a strong-roll off in the upper extremes, though. On the other end, the subbass was light, and there was very sharp mid-bass that could do with a bit more slam. Perhaps the biggest difference between the Pro 330v2 and the Music duo, though, was the soundstage. It was wide, tall, and deep, with really good imaging. In terms of speed, the Pro 330v2 was fast, though not the fastest.

CustomArt Pro 330v2 Score: 9.4-9.5

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #229 of 366
best thread in head-fi , imho

if Joker's thread is like the first woman to take your virginity (and show you the first, basic moves) this thread is the woman that takes you to the next lever of super sex-machine

i only wish i had money to buy/try all the CIEMS mentioned here - still a FANTASTIC thread

cheers

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #230 of 366
amazing thread! thanks :D

Feb 21, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #234 of 366
  best thread in head-fi , imho

if Joker's thread is like the first woman to take your virginity (and show you the first, basic moves) this thread is the woman that takes you to the next lever of super sex-machine

i only wish i had money to buy/try all the CIEMS mentioned here - still a FANTASTIC thread

cheers

I think they're different animals altogether. Jokers are substantially more informative and time consuming, researched. He's never done a review without having something on hand for a bit. Doesn't take anything away from this great thread and it's 'brief reviews'. One doesn't have to be better than the other.
smile.gif

Feb 21, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #235 of 366
I think they're different animals altogether. Jokers are substantially more informative and time consuming, researched. He's never done a review without having something on hand for a bit. Doesn't take anything away from this great thread and it's 'brief reviews'. One doesn't have to be better than the other.:smile:

This.

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #237 of 366
I just use the included silicon tips. I have done the filter mod on my IM70 though.

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #239 of 366
No worries. I dig them too. :)

I just removed the filter completely. Didn't make things too harsh for my ears, so I stuck with it.

Feb 24, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #240 of 366
Nearly every ciem in this thread is rated over 9/10.

So what is the intention of praising all ciems to the skies?

I think being a bit more critical and using the full range of the 1-10 scale would be useful. I can't imagine all sound equal like they are rated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back