6SN7 Tube Addicts
Aug 12, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #3,676 of 7,413
I've got four SS3S0 and to be honest, they're soooooo not worth their price.  They sound like a fuller body 5692 with a touch immediacy (not as laid back as the RCA or CBS).  But the price ... I wouldn't bother.  I got more of a kick finding generic "Standard brand" boxes for these Swede Standards than their sound. :p  But it's all subjective.

There are minor but noticeable differences between all three Syl 6SNWs.  The metal base is brighter and more lively, but it's also more prone to microphony, which I think may be the primary reason for its brighter sound.  Both tall bottles have fuller bass than the short bottle but the short bottle is tighter sounding (for example, kick drums have excellent PRAT).  The short bottles are also a lot more reliable than the tall bottles   I've had so many metal base and tall bottles fail on me over the years.

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #3,677 of 7,413
Hi Len, thanks for the photo, great collection!!!!!!!

I feel, as I stated before in earlier posts, exactly the same as you about the 33S30A/B.
They are a nicer sounding 5692 but highly overpriced.
I have 2 NIB's and 4 in white boxes, but I could be as happy with my CBS Hytron 5692, I don't care for the RCA 5692 sound.

I also agree with your assessment of the 6SN7W. The tall black base sounds very close to the metal base one, it's the same bottle in a different base.
My favorite is the short bottle one where the lower mica is inside the base.

As for amps I still run 3 SP's (safety checked) but I recommend if you are looking for a good sounding, reasonably priced OTL to check this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/600110/2359glenn-studio

Glenn makes great sounding amps.

Aug 13, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #3,678 of 7,413
Thanks for the pic and the list, Len!  I copied and archived that.  

Would be fun to have everyone take that list and add their experiences to any of the tubes that they own...thank you!

(Also, I'm dying to hear a Glenn amp...which one should I listen to with H800?)  

Aug 13, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #3,679 of 7,413
Yep, that about covers it.  You could trade that suitcase for a new Kia probably. 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 13, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #3,680 of 7,413
Great idea CT!

I would add some of the following if Len agrees of course:

FIVRE
SICTE
ATES
Tung-Sol Mouse Ears (Top Getter)
ECC33
ECC34
ECC35
QA2408
B65 Clear Glass

Neotron also come with a different construction, but none sound good to me. 

One of his best OTL creations is the GR Super 10. (9 -6SN7 + 3DG4)
As for HD800, sory I haven't got these headphones but David I think tried them in a NY mini meet with his Glenn OTL.

Aug 13, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #3,681 of 7,413
Quote:
Great idea CT!

I would add some of the following if Len agrees of course:

FIVRE
SICTE
ATES
Tung-Sol Mouse Ears (Top Getter)
ECC33
ECC34
ECC35
QA2408
B65 Clear Glass

Neotron also come with a different construction, but none sound good to me. 

One of his best OTL creations is the GR Super 10. (9 -6SN7 + 3DG4)
As for HD800, sory I haven't got these headphones but David I think tried them in a NY mini meet with his Glenn OTL.

Ya, those are all definitely nice to have in any collection.  I've got the ECC33, 34, and 35.  I always wanted  NIB pair of QA2408 but couldn't find them, only a few singles that were mismatched.  Same with FIVRE and SICTE.  Most of the Euro 6SN7-kins are hard to find in the States. 

There's also that strange flat plate square mica tube that looks like the Tung Sol VT-231.  I have a pair (not NIB though) but I still don't know who made them. 

Where can I purchase Glenn's OTL?  That amp looks great.  Similar to the Wheatfield HA2 I had.

Aug 13, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #3,682 of 7,413
Len shoot Glenn a PM.

You can discuss with him what you want.

Aug 13, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #3,683 of 7,413
I just wanted to pop in to thank Len for his great posts in the other 6SN7 threads. Thanks to the great advice I found, I've been feeding my Woo with great tubes like the Tung Sol BGRP, National Union black glass, Sylvania 6SN7W short bottle, Sylvania "Bad Boys", RCA grey glass, Raytheon flat plates, Brimar CV1988, Mullard ECC32 and Osram/Marconi B65. My collection still can't hold a candle to Len's awesome suitcase though!

Aug 24, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #3,684 of 7,413
Dear 6sn7 gurus, I need your wisdom 
bigsmile_face.gif

I'm currently using a pair of Tungsol BGRP and Sylvania Chrome top . I'm quite happy with them, but I want to expand the collection a bit since I have way too many ecc83 and not enough 6sn7s. Are any of these any good - as a good flavor change from the BGRP?

CBS/Zenith

Brimar (quite expensive)

Sylvania bottom getter

Tung-sol tall bottle?

Raytheon

Sylvania brown base?

Sylvania VT-231?

Aug 25, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #3,685 of 7,413
forget the fake Brimars.  Those are Russian made.  I personally like the CBS and the Raytheon.  I dont have enough listening time with the others but those two are pretty good to my ears.  Since your in the UK, have you tried any ECC32 or ECC33?  Similar to 6sn7 just make sure your amp can handle them.

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #3,686 of 7,413
I agree with Neogeo on both the Brimars (they're rebranded russian, not worth more than $10), and the recommendations.  Those CBS tubes are Hytrons, good tubes.  If your chrome top Sylvanias are the tall bottle with the heavy getter flash then you basically have the best of the Sylvanias in my opinion so I would concentrate on other brands.  The VT-231 Raytheons with the ladder plates and support rods are also really nice tubes.  I guess it comes down to what you want to spend in order to investigate the sound signature of other brands and construction types, because nothing on your list is going to top the BGRP Tung Sols which you already have for sound quality, so you know what the view is from the top of the hill already.

Aug 25, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #3,687 of 7,413
I agree with Neogeo and Xcalibur.

The Raytheon are the best choice for me.
Then come the Tung-Sol with the GTB style plates, which will give you a more pronounced low end.

Try the RCA Grey Glass if you can, a tube worth having IMHO.

As for the gurus, they are hiding in Tibet.
As for wisdom, doesn't come with tube addiction I am afraid........

Aug 25, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #3,688 of 7,413
Quote:
forget the fake Brimars.  Those are Russian made.  I personally like the CBS and the Raytheon.  I dont have enough listening time with the others but those two are pretty good to my ears.  Since your in the UK, have you tried any ECC32 or ECC33?  Similar to 6sn7 just make sure your amp can handle them.

Too bad my amp can't handle those. Found some 6sn7 Mullard too (both normal and coke bottle) but they come in single only 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
I agree with Neogeo on both the Brimars (they're rebranded russian, not worth more than $10), and the recommendations.  Those CBS tubes are Hytrons, good tubes.  If your chrome top Sylvanias are the tall bottle with the heavy getter flash then you basically have the best of the Sylvanias in my opinion so I would concentrate on other brands.  The VT-231 Raytheons with the ladder plates and support rods are also really nice tubes.  I guess it comes down to what you want to spend in order to investigate the sound signature of other brands and construction types, because nothing on your list is going to top the BGRP Tung Sols which you already have for sound quality, so you know what the view is from the top of the hill already.

Hmm, the CBSs are actually the same as the famed Hytron black plate? Or are we talking different Hytron 6sn7 here? 

My Sylvania is "normal"/short bottle me think. Got them from a yard sale - said 6sn7 gta on top

Any idea on how the CBS 5692 brown base fits in the picture here? From what I've read in this thread they seems to be more laid back due to lower voltage or smt?

Aug 25, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #3,690 of 7,413
Quote:

Thank the lord I've not spent money on those "normal" Mullard. As with anything named Mullard here, they commanded a high price.

Checking back some email from the seller the coke bottle mullard turnout to be Ecc32, but he listed it with 6sn7 anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back