6SN7 Tube Addicts
May 8, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #3,541 of 7,413
The Raytheon sounds the best in one of my systems.
It doesn't sound like the others, it has it's own character.

But of course a lot depends on preferences and synergy.

May 8, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #3,542 of 7,413
The NU is the 1st 6F8G I have tried so I am unable to compare it to others.  I find the NU to be well balance tonally with outstanding midrange.  I am a bit surprised at the difference the rectifiers make in the ECBA.  I can hear a bigger difference in the 6X4 than in many of the 6SN7's I have rolled.

May 8, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #3,543 of 7,413
Can anyone tell me the date code? for a Sylvani 6SN7W Black Plate Short bottle JAN CHS Green Lettering The top of the tube read 6SN7W G 6 Would that be one of the preferred JAN's? I still can't seem to find (1) reasonably priced Metal Base 6SN7W Sylvania

May 8, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #3,544 of 7,413
Quote:
The NU is the 1st 6F8G I have tried so I am unable to compare it to others.  I find the NU to be well balance tonally with outstanding midrange.  I am a bit surprised at the difference the rectifiers make in the ECBA.  I can hear a bigger difference in the 6X4 than in many of the 6SN7's I have rolled.

Do you mean amongst different makes of 6X4, or by substituting different types of rectifiers?

May 11, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #3,546 of 7,413
Quote:
Some people find some enjoyment in the visual appearance of the tubes.  It doesn't have to be only about the sound.

I'm a little tempted to ask what the point of your post was, or why you felt it necessary to be so candid with it, but this is the 6SN7 thread so I'm simply going to leave it at that.

Well,EX,you were right..this tube gives off a really nice visual appearance..I stand corrected on my earlier remark.
Just got delivery,an hour or so ?
Going through some of music files now,and also have the Phillips 7316 mini watts in the 12au7 input..

Right now,I am hearing a nice increase in SQ ,over the TS-5998..but ,not a night & day difference.

Was it worth the outrageous price ,I paid...YES.....that's why I only bought..... ONE -LOL.

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #3,549 of 7,413
Just got my Sophia Electric 6SN7 and they sound amazing. Nice deep punchy bass.

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #3,550 of 7,413
Hi,

did anyone here ever compare Sylvania 6SN7 GT  2 holes with 3 holes ("bad boy") sound?
I just curious is there any significant difference..

thanks

To my ears they sound identical.

Jun 8, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #3,551 of 7,413
I read somewhere say's same as yours..no difference maybe the bad boy tube is too much hype to push sale price up...marketing strategy
hey, thanks for your comment...

right now I just start to collect several "famous" tube but just "famous" don't justify the sound quality (right to my taste and ears)..
I have:
>  GE 6SN7 GTB - many says this tube is nothing special but for me quite good for average tube
>  Sylvania VT231 - I like the mid and hi sound,  as a driver on my 300B SE tube, this tube still has descent bass power and just enough bass for me (tight and quite tunefull)
>  Ken Rad VT231 - on my amp, bit too much bass and sound bit mechanical, not musical enough but still I get "sweet" sound for female vocal
>  Raytheon 6SN7 WGT - sounds "average" for me, I like GE better than this tube.

regards

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #3,552 of 7,413
It could be marketing hype as the "bad boys" cost much more than the 2 hole versions.
I much prefer the 6SN7W black base Sylvania.

If you collect tubes, expect to pay high prices which have nothing to do with a better sound.
The Neotron round plates are an example.

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #3,554 of 7,413
I have not done any ABX comparison between the chrome dome and the W.
If I had to choose between the three it would be W, Chrome Dome, "Bad Boys".
xcalibur likes the chrome dome a lot.

Neotron seems to have a sterile presentation, not to my liking.
To be fair I never burned them in more than a couple of hours.
A NIB tube needs over 100 hours to check it out properly.
I tried two different variants but was not that impressed.

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #3,555 of 7,413
I have purchased some Tungsol round plates with the black paint. One pair is JAN.  I also just bought some Sylvania 6sn7 GT and I found some mint June 1945 6C8G for use with the adapters I had made. They are National union made for the Army and Navy in 6/45 brand new tubes. I am staring at them in boxes waiting for the Woo WA5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back