6SN7 Tube Addicts
May 3, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #3,511 of 7,413
There are two versions of the gec's ,...a straight base,& a curved base..the curved base runs about $100.00 more,and many respected head-fiers,seems to think the difference in price is NOT justified...so,I went with the straight base.

I did a quick search on e-bay at those CBS tubes,..there a few different models
Which ones exactly ,should I be looking at?
 Price seems very attractive
Do you have a link??

Tnx
Mike

May 3, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #3,512 of 7,413
Quote:
There are two versions of the gec's ,...a straight base,& a curved base..the curved base runs about $100.00 more,and many respected head-fiers,seems to think the difference in price is NOT justified...so,I went with the straight base.

Do you have a link??

Tnx
Mike

Yeah they are about $50-100 for the NOS 1940-5's. The 1950's which are still good but I have seen some rebranded as Hytron selling for $120+ is a load of bullocks. My one had gold lettering similar to the Gold Lions (also good but not worth the asking price afloat on ebay). Unfortunately I did not buy mine on ebay as there are alot of fakes (such as rebranded fake Teslas) so I buy them from a local supplier who gets them from European tube stock holders. I got mine for $145 for 3. Tested 99/98 NOS. My absolute favourite tube of all time is the Psvane and Sophia E's grade a 12AU7's which are the best modern production 12au7's you can buy and would give any vintage non-reissue Gold Lion or Tele diamond base a run for it's money.

May 3, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #3,513 of 7,413
Quote:
We have gone back and forth quite a bit in the 6AS7 thread about the WE421A tubes.  The loose consensus is that they are not *quite* identical to the 5998 spec-wise but probably sound so close that there is no point in differentiating.  I personally would not pay the premium they go for over the 5998 which itself is crazy expensive now.  The WE's certainly are pretty though, they seem to always be bottom getters where as most (but not all) of the 5998 are top getter.  Rob has some of every variant I believe, but I think bottom getter tubes are always a little sexier than top getter ones.

OK,sorry to rehash this topic then...

Pretty???
I could care less...
For me to drop $325.00 for a pair of tubes..{I know,I know?}..because they are pretty,is so rediculous,and I can't think of any idiot doing that,but??..to each his own..
Being not "quite" identical ,is even worse ,that tubes being pretty--thats why I just returned my TS 7236 to the seller and got a full refund.,seller told me ,that they were identical in SQ to the TS 5998,and,with my ears,they are  not.

May 3, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #3,514 of 7,413
Quote:
OK,sorry to rehash this topic then...

Pretty???
I could care less...
For me to drop $325.00 for a pair of tubes..{I know,I know?}..because they are pretty,is so rediculous,and I can't think of any idiot doing that,but??..to each his own..
Being not "quite" identical ,is even worse ,that tubes being pretty--thats why I just returned my TS 7236 to the seller and got a full refund.,seller told me ,that they were identical in SQ to the TS 5998,and,with my ears,they were not.

Some people find some enjoyment in the visual appearance of the tubes.  It doesn't have to be only about the sound.

I'm a little tempted to ask what the point of your post was, or why you felt it necessary to be so candid with it, but this is the 6SN7 thread so I'm simply going to leave it at that.

May 3, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #3,515 of 7,413
My apologies Excalibur,
Didn't mean for my reply to sound so aggressive,& yes,you are correct,I will really appreciate it,if the tubes give off a pleasant glow.
I'll soon find out..

Mike

May 3, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #3,517 of 7,413
Mike if you are looking for a US quality made top notch adapter contact 2359glenn by PM.

May 3, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #3,518 of 7,413
Quote:

Do you have a link??

Tnx
Mike

There is also the rare black base version made by MOV and labelled Osram here they are:

May 3, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #3,519 of 7,413
Stavros you have truly become the king of rare, obscure tube variants, my friend :D

May 3, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #3,520 of 7,413
Hi Rob, it's the tube addiction, I can't shake it off.

Here's my other pair with better logos:

Finally with brown base & Osram logo

May 4, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #3,522 of 7,413
An update on my WE-421a's

Just got delivery -5 minutes ago
One of the tubes ,seems to be faulty,or damaged.

When, I pick it up,something rattles inside the tube.
As far as,I can determine..it is coming from inside the base..
Reluctant to place in my amp,and see if lights up..

Contacted the seller,waiting, for a reply
Not a good start to my we-421a 's

May 4, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #3,523 of 7,413
That is not necessarily bad....and quite common. If the tube is still silver, it's holding a vacuum and not broken. It could be a bit of glass or glue. Some tubes have crushed glass bits inside. I'd try the tube...just don't have your expensive cans plugged in until warmed up. That's what I use my skullcandys for. :)

An update on my WE-421a's

Just got delivery -5 minutes ago
One of the tubes ,seems to be faulty,or damaged.

When, I pick it up,something rattles inside the tube.
As far as,I can determine..it is coming from inside the base..
Reluctant to place in my amp,and see if lights up..

Contacted the seller,waiting, for a reply
Not a good start to my we-421a 's

May 4, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #3,524 of 7,413
Thanks GrindingThud,
 I appreciate that info..will remember that for the next time..

Seller has contacted me,and has offered a full refund,which I will take.
Just not comfortable,with any rattling, going on, inside my tubes

May 4, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #3,525 of 7,413
Wow, I just read this thread from end to end....lots of great info. I've got a pair of adapters on order from Woo, now I need some tubes to put in them. So many choices, it possible to buy just one pair?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back