6SN7 Tube Addicts
Dec 4, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #2,941 of 7,413
I was worried you might try 6SN7GTs in your amp.

Nope..but i have to admit for a newbie like me it can be a bit confusing :D

Like this..i found a pair of tubes saying they are grade 1 'but new tested' .what in the heck does that mean? I know nos and nib..but grade 1? Can anyone explain..is it save to buy grade 1 tubes..they are 5998's and i want a pair as backup for the ones i just ordered.. And these are 50 gbp each :p
About another thing..they is lots talk about whether u need matched pairs as powertubes or not for non balanced tube amps..any thoughts about that? Is it necessay to use matched pairs on a non balanced amp like. My 337 with independent left and right volume knobs?

Dec 4, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #2,942 of 7,413
Quote:
Woot mullard tube!

British Tungsram in reality. (There are no Mullard-made 6SN7GTs.)

Got it for FIM 10, i.e. €1.68, quite a few years ago. Finnish Air Force surplus.
beerchug.gif

Dec 4, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #2,943 of 7,413
Quote:
Both the Sylvania 6SN7WGT BB and Tung-Sol 6SN7WGTA BB are great tubes.

Sid-Fi can I suggest a tube like the Mullard ECC33 or Sylvania VT231 Bad Boy style (2 plate holes) or the CBS Hytron VT231?
Also if you get the chance try the RAL cable for the HD650.

I had a RAL in my HD650 when I had them and the build quality was not very good. I bought it second hand because the original owner did not like it. When I put it in my HD650 they sounded horrible and after much troubleshooting I decided to open the connectors to find out they were pin out incorrectly and out of phase. I fixed them and they came to life but I think I personally would prefer a Silver Dragon.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Dec 4, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #2,944 of 7,413
I have really enjoyed the Silver Dragon on the HD 650. It really went a long day to smooth out the bass hump, speed things up, and bring out the treble more for an overall flatter frequency response. With it and my current setup it really makes the HD 650 come as close as it seems possible to a flagship can. Obviously it is still a HD 650, but it is truly amazing how high it has scaled. I would prefer one of the flagships, namely the HD 800 or T1, but it has scaled so high as to help me be patient.

Btw musicman and silent one, I was able to borrow a local member's T1 and was happy to see that he had the Zeuss cable already upgraded on it, although it was in single ended configuration. It was very very nice. Swapping back and forth with a balanced HD 800, the T1 was more warm and inviting and musical while the HD 800 felt a little more resolving. Both had phenominal imaging and sound stage, transparency, and speed. I actually found the T1 to be the more comfortable can. The HD 800 is heralded so much with comfort, but the ear cups are so big and a little heavy that I actually preferred the T1 in this regard.

Quote:
I had a RAL in my HD650 when I had them and the build quality was not very good. I bought it second hand because the original owner did not like it. When I put it in my HD650 they sounded horrible and after much troubleshooting I decided to open the connectors to find out they were pin out incorrectly and out of phase. I fixed them and they came to life but I think I personally would prefer a Silver Dragon.

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #2,945 of 7,413
I'm going to go ahead and bump my own question since there have been so many topics going. Hope no one minds.
popcorn.gif

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the tubes suggestions. I see that almost everyone recommends the Sylvania 6SN7WGT brown base. I have seen these all over the map as far as price goes. Can you guys tell me what a fair ballpark price is for a pair of used ones that test really well? I'm not a big stickler that they have to be completely new and unused, and would actually rather to pay less for slightly used ones. Also, are there any other tricks to look for when seeing this tube on ebay for example? You guys are the best.

As for the addiction, and no hope comments, all I can say is that the best defense for my budding addiction (or lack thereof /denial) is a wife and full-time daycare. If anyone is in desperate need of an intervention, I can ship both (the kid as well) in exchange for your best tubes!

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #2,946 of 7,413
You should be able to find a nice pair for less than $100.  I paid $65 for my last pair.  But I was patient.

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #2,948 of 7,413
The thing is, there isn't just one Sylvania 6SN7WGT. There is the older, short bottle that looks like a 6SN7W but with a brown base with parallel T plates, from the 50's. then there is the 6SN7WGTA, with the short brown base but medium bottle, with the familiar Sylvania offset black plates., from the 1960's. Heretically, I prefer the latter. Those you should be able to get for $80/pair or less, NOS.

Dec 4, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #2,950 of 7,413
Rob, is the identifying difference that on the former the lettering is on the base and the latter it is on the glass?  Or am I think of the TS WGTA???

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #2,951 of 7,413
Indeed, I think all the Sylvania WGT have the markings on the base, and the WGTA are all on the glass. But the internal differences are unmistakable.

"Older" style example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-pc-SYLVANIA-JAN-CHS-6SN7-W-GT-5692-CV1988-VT-231-6H8C-/261137274012

"newer" style example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Electronic-Vacuum-Tube-SYLVANIA-6SN7GTA-NOS-Black-Plates-/310512042939

That said, there seem to be some "in between" examples too which have attributes of one or the other...

Dec 4, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #2,952 of 7,413
The newer tubes have the GTB plates set at an angle to each other.
Then again Rob you like the GTB style tubes and so do I.
Are we GTB heretics I wonder?

On the HD650 cable I have tried 2 balanced (SAA, Rudistor) and 3 single end (SAA, RAL, stock) cables and the RAL despite been SE was the best by far.
That's with my systems and listening preferences.

Dec 4, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #2,953 of 7,413
The newer tubes have the GTB plates set at an angle to each other.
Then again Rob you like the GTB style tubes and so do I.
Are we GTB heretics I wonder?

Indeed I think we are :D

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #2,954 of 7,413
Don't tell David!!!!!!

BTW here is a Sylvania 6SN7W metal base undergoing surgery by my French Tube Guru.

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #2,955 of 7,413
Awesome, thank you for all of the tips! These posts are exactly what I was hoping for. And Skylab, you do indeed seem to be a heretic in this instance.
evil_smiley.gif

Are the sound characteristics that different between the two. Any chance you could summarize the difference and why you prefer the 60s version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back