6SN7 Tube Addicts
Nov 9, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #2,851 of 7,413
Indeed David.

Bob has told me on many occasions that the best test is in circuit.

It's important for the tester to be checked and calibrated.

It's critical to check a tube for shorts and leakages to make sure it's safe to use.
The test scores are mostly used as a sales tool.

For me a good used tube is a safer bet than a NIB which may develop problems after a few hours of use.

Nov 9, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #2,852 of 7,413
Nice thread!

I have quite a few 6SN7's as well.  Sold several pairs of the Tungsol Roundplates, Kenrads, and Sylvania 6SN7W's(tall and short bottle) because of the need to fund other projects but still kept a pair or two.  Never tried exotic Mullards or GEC however.  At present, most of its use in my applications are Cathode Followers, so mostly GTB's and GTA's.  My greatest bargain so far are the CBS Hytrons and GE(the ones with long horizontal wire filaments, 1st pic) GTB's, all are bottom/side getters for $1 each.  Never found the same deal ever again (5 years and counting).  2nd pic below are some of them,.Regards.

Nov 9, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #2,853 of 7,413
Quote:
The main purpose of using a tube tester for me is to eliminate tubes that are for sure bad before sticking them in an amp where REALLY bad things could happen.

Addition to that, buy socket savers for comment tube types too, to minimizes the wear on your tester. You can also match your tubes with tester.

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #2,854 of 7,413
Quote:
Nice thread!

I have quite a few 6SN7's as well.  Sold several pairs of the Tungsol Roundplates, Kenrads, and Sylvania 6SN7W's(tall and short bottle) because of the need to fund other projects but still kept a pair or two.  Never tried exotic Mullards or GEC however.  At present, most of its use in my applications are Cathode Followers, so mostly GTB's and GTA's.  My greatest bargain so far are the CBS Hytrons and GE(the ones with long horizontal wire filaments, 1st pic) GTB's, all are bottom/side getters for $1 each.  Never found the same deal ever again (5 years and counting).  2nd pic below are some of them,.Regards.

That's a beautiful collection.
The GE 6SN7GTB "light bridge" glows very nicely, but it's not my favourite sounding tube.

The CBS Hytrons sound much better to me in my systems.

Quote:
Addition to that, buy socket savers for comment tube types too, to minimizes the wear on your tester. You can also match your tubes with tester.

Glenn has made some 6SN7/6AS7 socket savers that I use with the amps I test/roll tubes.
Some of my testers have been fitted with high quality savers by Bob Putnak who restored and calibrated them.

Nov 10, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #2,856 of 7,413

That's a beautiful collection.
The GE 6SN7GTB "light bridge" glows very nicely, but it's not my favourite sounding tube.

The CBS Hytrons sound much better to me in my systems.

Thanks!

I agree!  The CBS Hytrons are much better sounding in gain stages.  I only use the GE's for Cathode Follower duties.
normal_smile .gif

Nov 10, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #2,857 of 7,413
Hi.
Are there significant differences in sound between these tubes RCA 5692 Red Base, General Electric 5692 Brown Base, CBS Hytron 5692 Brown Base?

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #2,858 of 7,413
No.  Regardless of base colour and label, RCA made them all and they all share the same internal construction.  Unless red is your favourite colour, then the RCA is better :p

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #2,859 of 7,413
Hmmmm...I'm not so sure that's completely accurate. I agree that all the GE and RCA 5692's are the same RCA make. But the CBS Hytron 5692's are a little different and I believe were in fact Hytron made.

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #2,860 of 7,413
Again to quote the bible...

[size=medium]Other brands like CBS/Hytron and Sylvania made brownbase versions of this tube, but I suspect all were actually made by RCA, as they are identical inside.[/size]

Nov 10, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #2,861 of 7,413
Clarification needed...  When people say RCA grey glass do they mean...

6SN7GT RCA blackplate, GREYGLASS, short glass envelope, late 1940s vintage

or

6SN7GT - VT-231 JAN RCA, blackplate, clearglass, short glass envelope, 1940s military

Realize the second one is clear but rather be sure :wink:

Nov 11, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #2,862 of 7,413
I agree with Rob.
To me the CBS Hytron 5692 sound better than the RCA GE ones.

There is also a Black Base GE 5692.

Nov 12, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #2,863 of 7,413
Hi.
Are there significant differences in sound between these tubes: Sylvania 6SN7W; Sylvania 6SN7W (Tall Bottle)?

Nov 12, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #2,864 of 7,413
You will have to determine if the differences are significant, but there are differences in the sound produced with the use of each of these tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back