6SN7 Tube Addicts
Apr 13, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #2,071 of 7,413
Hi guys.  Latecomer to this thread.  I'm probably going to pick up a Cary Audio Design CAD-300 SEI in the near future (~3mo).  Already decided I'll probably go with something from EML for the 300B.  However, not sure what to get for the 6SN7s (the amp uses one input and two driver 6SN7s).  I'm generally not a fan of the NOS tube game, but from what I understand, none of the new-production 6SN7s are worth a damn.  I don't know much about NOS tubes, so I thought I'd ask here.

I'm looking for something that's fairly readily available.  I'm looking to spend $600 or less for the three tubes.  And I'm looking for a well-rounded tube that won't squash the soundstage or obscure detail.  I suspect I'm asking for too much, but it's worth a shot at the very least.  I guess Tung-Sol, Sylvania and RCA are the go-to brands I'm looking for?

If I'm not mistaken, Blackmore, you have a 300 SEI.  Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #2,072 of 7,413
Cool.  The guy I got them from inherited an old Zenith toolbox full of tubes and a tube tester.  He tested most of those as NOS before the tester started to malfunction.  The tester is being repaired at an old-school guitar amp shop, and we will be testing some more pairs.  I saw a pair of Sylvania VT-231s that look like the "badboy" tubes you guys talk about but with white lettering, a pair of the Sylvanias with the almost excessive silvering, and a pair of what I believe to be black glass ken rads, but one has a different brand, insides look the same.

How much should I be offering for these tubes if they test out well?  I gave him $100 for the 8 tubes I showed in the pictures.

Apr 14, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #2,073 of 7,413
You did very well at that price for those 8 tubes.

Every tube you just mentioned is a highly desirable and sought 6SN7, quite the nice collection to have found.  If you want please post some photos for better identification of them.

Ken Rads in the black glass weren't re-branded often from my experience.  What you saw might have been black glass National Unions.

edit:  I should caution you, if that tester is old and hasn't been calibrated then its test results are probably not trustworthy.  At the very least its valuable to test for gas/shorts/leaks but the emission testing (or mutual conductance if its a nice tester) may be way off.

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #2,074 of 7,413

Quote:
Hi guys.  Latecomer to this thread.  I'm probably going to pick up a Cary Audio Design CAD-300 SEI in the near future (~3mo).  Already decided I'll probably go with something from EML for the 300B.  However, not sure what to get for the 6SN7s (the amp uses one input and two driver 6SN7s).  I'm generally not a fan of the NOS tube game, but from what I understand, none of the new-production 6SN7s are worth a damn.  I don't know much about NOS tubes, so I thought I'd ask here.

I'm looking for something that's fairly readily available.  I'm looking to spend $600 or less for the three tubes.  And I'm looking for a well-rounded tube that won't squash the soundstage or obscure detail.  I suspect I'm asking for too much, but it's worth a shot at the very least.  I guess Tung-Sol, Sylvania and RCA are the go-to brands I'm looking for?

If I'm not mistaken, Blackmore, you have a 300 SEI.  Your input would be greatly appreciated.

EML are a very good choice for Power Tubes.
Blackmore and me don't think much of the re issues, but with your budget you'll be able to buy some very nice 6SN7's.
He's done lots of tube rolling and serious listening so his opinion will be spot on.

Apr 14, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #2,075 of 7,413
Something you don't see everyday, clear glass Marconi Osram B65.

One of them hums badly though, I had to ask for a refund.
frown.gif

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #2,076 of 7,413
Very nice indeed.
They sound wonderful.

Apr 15, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #2,077 of 7,413
I hope they do, since one tube is faulty I didn't try the other tube at length. Does anyone know if there's any sonic difference between the black glass and clear glass B65? The clear glass variant seems much rarer than the other, making it hard to find a matching replacement.

Apr 15, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #2,078 of 7,413
The Black Glass sometimes have a wire getter so they can sound slightly different.
My clear glass tubes come with an inverted cup getter like yours.
I recently got  a clear glass one which had a dead section.

Apr 15, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #2,079 of 7,413
Oh man, that's a bummer. Hopefully we can find replacements. Would you know if inverted cup getters indicate earlier or later manufacture than wire getters?

Apr 15, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #2,080 of 7,413
I believe wire getters are later production.

Apr 15, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #2,081 of 7,413
I am afraid my advise will not do any good for your wallet, because I am NOS tubes guy, with only one exception and thats 300B tubes that made by EML, EAT, KR and Takatsuki.

Cary is a wonderful amp, amp that responding fantastically to tube rolling and you can create very differ tonality to your liking.

Right now I am very pleased with an pair of FIVRE's brown base in driver section and input must be not less than that:

- Brimar CV1988, clear glass, brown base, O getter on bottom with print on glass  ( rare ) - or CV1988 Brown base with print on base as alternative.

- ECC33 Mullard, brown base, normal bottle

- NU with grey coated glass ( rare )

- TS Black glass, round plates

- Sylvania 6SN7W, short bottle

- RCA Grey coated glass

There are more, but I think if you try these, you will be done with your rolling.

If you decide to get EML 300B tubes, concider their XLS model, cos seems that they are way to go and get most of EML's positive feedbacks as 300B upgrade / replacement.

Good luck.

Quote:

Apr 15, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #2,082 of 7,413
Thank you, Blackmore!  That's a great response.  Exactly what I was looking for.  Incredibly helpful post.  I'll get searching for those tubes you mentioned.  I appreciate your assistance.

Apr 15, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #2,084 of 7,413
I am using 12SN7 tubes using a voltage doubler 6SN7 to 12SN7 adapter. The pair of NOS Radiocoin tubes I got are at 1/6 of the going rate for TS BGRP 6SN7.

The box says MFG, for Duff & Co. in N.Y.C. The tubes are noise free as well.

Apr 15, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #2,085 of 7,413

Quote:
I am using 12SN7 tubes using a voltage doubler 6SN7 to 12SN7 adapter. The pair of NOS Radiocoin tubes I got are at 1/6 of the going rate for TS BGRP 6SN7.
The box says MFG, for Duff & Co. in N.Y.C. The tubes are noise free as well.

What sonic character does it have? Besides price, why does it have you grinning? 
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back