6SN7 Tube Addicts
Nov 19, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #1,381 of 7,413
O.k. thanks, I am not sure, but the seller of this Motorola/Sylvania said its from 1952. I never tried one, so, are there any other tube to compare with?

Quote:
The Motorola tube is the one I'm talking about Blackmore.  The W's with the support rod in your third picture are yet another type of tube.  They are also nice, but not as nice as the chrome dome IMO.

Nov 19, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #1,382 of 7,413
To my ears the chrome dome Sylvania just sounds "right" both in terms of tone and presentation.  It's sort of like a cross between the Bad Boy and the TS round plate.  I wouldn't say that's entirely right but I can't think of how else to describe it.  I actually prefer it to the tung sol in some ways, it has better tone IMO and the transparency is nearly as good.  All it is lacking is the tung sol's deep three-dimensional sense of image and staging, but I dare say the Sylvanias portrayal in this regard is actually more realistic and faithful to source than the magic of the tung sol.  I definitely prefer it to the Sylvania Bad Boy.  It is just a better tube all around, albeit less romantic sounding and airy.

1952 would be the right year for these.  As far as I've been able to determine these were only made up to the end of '52 or maybe early '53.  After that the tooling was changed over and the GTA style tube appears.  I've only ever seen these with production dates from 51 and 52 personally, and all of mine are from '52. 

Nov 21, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #1,383 of 7,413
Hey guys, just thought I'd drop in here and say hi. Great to see that there are still tons of 6SN7 lovers out there! 
beyersmile.png

Nov 21, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #1,384 of 7,413

Quote:
Hey guys, just thought I'd drop in here and say hi. 
beyersmile.png

Hello,

Please note I created this thread out of respect to your wonderful threads which are my ALL time favourites, I have learned so much reading them.
I thought this way we could keep your threads as Reference Material and discuss various issues here.
I admire you hard work and hope to learn more from you and other knowledgeable people.
Thanks for droping in.

Nov 21, 2011 at 6:47 AM Post #1,385 of 7,413

Quote:

Hello,

Please note I created this thread out of respect to your wonderful threads which are my ALL time favourites, I have learned so much reading them.
I thought this way we could keep your threads as Reference Material and discuss various issues here.
I admire you hard work and hope to learn more from you and other knowledgeable people.
Thanks for droping in.

x2!
beerchug.gif

Nov 21, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #1,387 of 7,413
 Has anyone come across tubes (not necessarily 6SN7) with painted tops where the amount of paint decreases as the tubes are used ie alot of paint NOS,no paint used[size=8pt][/size]

Nov 21, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #1,388 of 7,413
Hi Rob, I have some of these wonderful NU 6F8G tubes with the yellow paint.  
However I have not run them a lot yet to find out after how many run hours the paint goes.

Nov 21, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #1,389 of 7,413
Here is a photo

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #1,390 of 7,413
@rosgr63 I have seen one seller from Italy, he has VT99s (6F8Ga) with yellow paint of NU, Kenrad and Tungsol
but they are not cheap and I would like to know which pair is the best or what is the sound signature?
I have the 6F8G Kenrad, NU , Raytheon and find that Kenrad & Raytheon are excellent.  I think they should
be the same between VT99 and 6F8G's, is that correct?  However I don't know about the Tungsol VT99.
He also said that the yellow paint is to show us that the tubes are new, rarely used.

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #1,391 of 7,413
VT99 is the military version of 6F8G, so SQ wise they should be very similar.
Tung Sol comes with Flat Plates and Round Plates.
To me the Tung Sol RP VT99 sound very similar to the TS RP 6SN7.

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #1,392 of 7,413
@rosgr63 thanks,  I am asking for the pictures from the seller.
As far as I know we prefer the round plate over the flat plate for 6F8G's
His NU is round plates but I don't know about his Tung sol or Kenrad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back