6SN7 Tube Addicts
Oct 12, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #1,261 of 7,413
Funny thing is, POPE rhymes nicely with RIP-OFF, sorry guys
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #1,265 of 7,413
I have to hear the bass for myself. SInce the LCD-2 is so good in the bass Im hoping its fine.

what 6sn7 is good for bass and is not the ken rad since it wont work in preamps well?

Can anyone relate the sound between the RCA 6sn7gt and the RCA 6fq7? 

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #1,267 of 7,413
     May I ask what is your LCD2 rev 1 or rev2.?
     In my opinion the bass of LCD2 rev1 is already very good, in term of quantity, impact,
extension however it has delayed decay which some listener does not like, for the LCD2
rev1 I use the Sylvania 6sn7W metal base which also has good bass dynamic response
with more detail and soundstage.   For me Ken Rad may be too much and does not solve the problem of delayed decay.  Even Tungsol BGRP will help about the dynamic bass for rev1.
      For LCD2 rev2, probably the bass extension is better than the rev1 but the quantity, impact is less .  rev2 has more dynamic bass response.   In my experience Ken Rad or even National Union
may be a good choice.  The problem of bass soundstage is less in rev2 than in rev1.
       If you want wide soundstage you may need to change the cable too. In my case I use
the silver clad Zeus cable with excellent result, SAA endorphin is also good but more expensive. I  have no experience in Norse Cable or ALO or Q audio so I cannot comment on that.  Apuresound cable is also good but more appropriate for the rev2 , not the rev1 because it has a darker tone in my experience.   Please also use the fully balanced set up that will open up the soundstage too.
       In my case with LCD2 rev1 I use the fully balanced setup with the BA, I use the Analysis plus with furutech carbon fiber termination (this termination improves the bass response markedly) so I don't feel the need to use driver tube with good bass but I use Tungsol BGRP, Sylvania 6sn7W metal base or even Westinghouse or Telefunken 6SN7 GT to improve the soundstage .  Recently I found that the soundstage is even wider using the SICTE Fivre 6SN7GT and Tungsram 6SN7's.
          Hope this will help

Oct 13, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #1,268 of 7,413
I do have the Rev 1. I actually have one of the very first made which looks the nicest IMO. The wood finish is much nicer and is the darker finish. I have a custom cable on them that does open up the soundstage that I made myself out of OCC copper and quality connectors. 

Im going to look into the sylvania 6sn7 with the brown bottom and chrome top as suggested and see how that pairs. 

The RCA 6sn7gt should provide an adequte bass, open up the sound stage a bit, and provide a lush midrange as I understand the tube. 

Oct 13, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #1,269 of 7,413
You may also try the Tungsol 6SU6GT or Tungsol 6F8G to make the bass more dynamic and open up the sound stage more.
I found that using cable with some silver+ copper  will help open up soundstage more,  I have used Twag (silver) it did open up
the soundstage but the quality bass disappeared.  If you are already satisfied with the bass quantity, impact, extension but would
like the detail and soundstage you may try Toshiba, Telefunken, Westinghouse which are not expensive from ebay.

Oct 13, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #1,270 of 7,413
of course the 6SU7GTY is a 6SL7, not a 6SN7.

Oct 13, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #1,271 of 7,413
Oct 13, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #1,272 of 7,413
of course the 6SU7GTY is a 6SL7, not a 6SN7.
    No,  it is of course not 6SN7 ,  I almost forgot we have to ask
the amplifier builder before using that.  For my BA there is no problem of
using the 6SL7 although some mentioned that there may be some distortion on high treble
but I did not find that using Tungsol 6SU7GTY or even Mullard ECC35 which is a
6SL7 not 6SN7.  I also tried to find the Mullard ECC34 which is 6SL7's of ECC32 but the price is
somewhat high.

I will try to get a Pope 6SN7 and see how it sound?  of course I would not buy 2 pairs
at 435$

May I ask one question here ?   I made a mistake by buying Visseaux 6N7's quad (ECC31)very cheap
However I realised later that they are 6N7's   not  6SN7's.   This is of course a novice mistake
so I emailed to ask Craig and he answered that we can use that in case that we can find the 6N7/6SN7
adapter.  I looked everywhere on ebay and didn't find any.  At last I made a wild guess, sent an email to
ayumitubes who made several adapters and found that they do have.   However I am not sure that
they are usable so I would like to ask here whether is it safe to use that, is the sound good enough? because
the 6N7 's are cheaper than the 6F8G's and 7N7's.   I also saw some Mullard ECC31  but at the moment
it cost around 110$ which is not bad if it can do 80-90% of the more expensive Mullard ECC32.  They may be
cheaper on auction because I saw one pair of Mullard ECC31 cost less than 120$ but at that time I could not
find the adapter so I did not attempt to bid.   Alex Shen will send me the adapter this week so I may have chance
to try that early next week with the Visseaux 6N7's (ECC31) which are the French Military version.  Hope that
it will not destroy my BA.

Oct 13, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #1,273 of 7,413
Well, if Craig says you can use it, then he would know, but the 6N7 is pretty different from the 6SN7. They are both 6.3V medium mu twin triodes, and have some similar parameters, but others that are VERY different. If it worked well and sounded good it would be just a happy accident.

Oct 16, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #1,274 of 7,413
anyone with experience wit these tubes?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6N8S-6SN7-METAL-BASE-tubes-MELZ-TESTED-PS-7-/310351719354?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4842676bba#ht_500wt_1180

Oct 17, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #1,275 of 7,413
I have not used these.
I do not like 6N8S tubes, others swear by them.
I would get some cheap ones with the plastic base to check their sound first.
Then I would go for the 1578 with the perforated plates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back