6SN7 Tube Addicts
Mar 23, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #16 of 7,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with everything you said EXCEPT that I actually try to FIND amps that use the 6SN7, precisely BECAUSE I have a large stash of them already and I want to use them
biggrin.gif

Any favorites?

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #17 of 7,413
My favorite "bargain" 6SN7 is the CBS/Hytron tall-bottle 6SN7GT. Great tube, and often available for quite cheap.

I also have been able to get Sylvania 6SN7WGT's, NOS, for $10 each, within the last week. And these are pretty nice tubes - especially for that price!

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #18 of 7,413
I also got an unused Sylvania 6SN7WGTA chrome top black plates green markings for $15, so it's not that bad.

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #19 of 7,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I now try to stay away from equipment that uses 6SN7's.

I have collected lots of 6SN7/VT231 tubes for previous equipments and have owned/tried the venerables, including TungSol roundplates, Sylvania metal base, KenRad, RCA grey glass, National Union grey and black glass, Sylvania VT231, etc, etc.

Many sound good and some sound special, but honestly, there are other tubes that can yield just as good results, if not better, but at much less cost. 6SN7 hype over the years has resulted in tripling, quadrupling of NOS prices over the years and just not worth it IMO.

This is good advice! Of course it is kinda fun exploring the scads of different NOS alternatives. They really DO have very different presentations of the music. The best sound totally convincing and valid, until you try another great one that gives you a whole different perspective on the same music.

If you are into DIY, you can use 12SN7 tubes instead of the 6SN7's. These were made on the same factory lines and used the same materials & parts, just the higher heater voltage. A pair of NOS Tung-Sol 6SN7 round plates easily fetches $250 or more, whereas you can find Tung-Sol round plate 12SN7's for $50-60.

I spent a few years playing with 6SN7's and when I added up the total spent, it was astounding (over $1500 for damn tubes). Now that I have a big stash, it is fun to play with amps that use these tubes, but I definitely would not recommend it as the best course, or even the best sound available.

There is something nice about octals though... (sound of wallet crying)

Mar 23, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #20 of 7,413
6SN7s have really skyrocketed in prices the last couple of years. Thankfully, I stocked up and purchased several nice random lots a while back, tested them and was lucky and ended up with a nice stash.

Here's an old pic of one of my drawers.

6sn7.jpg

I have several favorites, but two of my go-to:

Tung Sol Tall

124373056578.jpg

Sylvania W Short

sylv6sn7w.jpg

beerchug.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #21 of 7,413
I recently got a pair of GE 6SN7GT tubes with my WA5 and was wondering how good of driver tubes they actually were? I was tempted to upgrade to the Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z but am not sure how much of a jump in performance there would be. Anybody have any suggestions?

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #22 of 7,413
One thing I've got to say if you are shopping ebay for 6SN7s is that don't let your enthusiasm get the best of you. I got a whole collection of second grade tubes, that I will probably never listen to again, because I was too anxious to buy. Watch the market for a month or so before purchasing - its not going away. Listen to the new tubes before buying any more. You'll save a lot of money and shelf space. =)

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #23 of 7,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by monsieurguzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently got a pair of GE 6SN7GT tubes with my WA5 and was wondering how good of driver tubes they actually were? I was tempted to upgrade to the Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z but am not sure how much of a jump in performance there would be. Anybody have any suggestions?

Can you post a picture of the GE?

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #24 of 7,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by ygm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing I've got to say if you are shopping ebay for 6SN7s is that don't let your enthusiasm get the best of you. I got a whole collection of second grade tubes, that I will probably never listen to again, because I was too anxious to buy. Watch the market for a month or so before purchasing - its not going away. Listen to the new tubes before buying any more. You'll save a lot of money and shelf space. =)

Wiser words have not been spoken 'round here
smily_headphones1.gif

I've also got a few small collections of tube types I don't need anymore, because I've upgraded (a few times now) to amps that don't use said types. Wish I had those purchase decisions back. The 6sn7 is one such type - I recently upgraded from a 6sn7 preamp to one that only uses 6H30pi.

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #25 of 7,413
At least in the case of the 6SN7, the odds of your needing those tubes again are decent. And they aren't getting cheaper - best to hang on to them.

Mar 24, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #26 of 7,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you post a picture of the GE?

here is a picture of the GE 6SN7GTA tubes (made in US):

P1050269.jpg

Also, has anybody had any experience with these Rectifiers? They are 5AS4 Dumont rectifiers, which I haven't heard of before, but they are made in USA:

P1050272.jpg

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #27 of 7,413
I have some of those GE's. Not my favorite US 6SN7, but plenty good. I'm not sure the Shuguang will sound that much better than those (I have one, nice enough tube, but not that great, and nowhere near as good sounding as a real ECC32/CV181).

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #28 of 7,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
6SN7s have really skyrocketed in prices the last couple of years. Thankfully, I stocked up and purchased several nice random lots a while back, tested them and was lucky and ended up with a nice stash.

Here's an old pic of one of my drawers.

6sn7.jpg

I have several favorites, but two of my go-to:

Tung Sol Tall

124373056578.jpg

Sylvania W Short

sylv6sn7w.jpg

beerchug.gif

I've got those sylvania w's! One of the best 6sn7's around! But getting really pricey...they are AS good as the taller metal base w's! But they are quite rare...

One of the reasons the prices go up is that the 6sn7 is seen as one of the best driver tubes for 300B's!

I also have a stash of a special jan/philips 6sn7, wich is also in the top 3 of best sounding 6sn7's.

There's also a special russian type of tube that also belongs in the top 3 best 6sn7's.

My top 3, jan/philips, sylvania w and the russian special type. You can't get any better then these imho!

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #29 of 7,413
Quote:

Originally Posted by monsieurguzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Best driver tubes probably the sylvania w's...Shuguang will sound harsh in comparison to these sylvania w's simply one of the finest 6sn7's...

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #30 of 7,413
Anybody using Tung-Sol 6SN7 Black Glass Round Plates with or without Mica top supports?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back